PDA

View Full Version : SBC Headers

mark chambers
23-03-13, 03:33 PM
:cool: Hi All,i still need V8 Chevy headers, all considered...

Regards
Mark

dave
23-03-13, 04:43 PM
Are you fitting sidepipes or underslungs? Dax may have headers for sidepipes.

mark chambers
23-03-13, 05:39 PM
Thanks Dave,i am not at the stage for the real thing i just require some headers to get the engine running thanks.

Regards
Mark

dave
23-03-13, 06:01 PM
Why do you need to get the engine running? Is this a new/rebuilt engine?

mark chambers
23-03-13, 07:38 PM
It's a totally refurbed rebuilt 350 and i just want to know that all is well with it,i have fitted it into the chassis and using the old Jaguar radiator and fans i've got it all ready to run but just need some headers. I had some headman headers but they wouldn't clear the chassis so i had to sell them on the auction site where they were bought from.The next stage will be to save enough money for the body order..

Regards
Mark

dave
24-03-13, 12:07 PM
Hi Mark, you will be safer not running the engine until you can run it at 2000rpm for a good 20 minutes constantly.
With no silencing you won't be able to hear a problem if there is one or one develops.
If you have no bodywork in the way and noise is not a concern (Just headers with no silencing won't sound much different) then just fire it up with no headers.

mark chambers
24-03-13, 06:11 PM
Thanks Dave,i have made a basic wiring loom up that allows a Rev counter to function and an oil pressure gauge,as you've confirmed i had read that it needs breaking in at around 2000 rpm for 20 minutes or so.I have also made a wooden frame to house the old radiator from the donor XJ40 complete with its electric fans that i have wired up to a switch for manual cooling if required.The header tank for the rad has been fixed to that frame and my cooling system is filled complete with antifreeze.I just wanted to run it up to make sure that i still had what it takes as it's been a few years since i've been on the spanners!!In your honest opinion what would you do,thanks again for your reply.

Regards
Mark.

mark chambers
25-03-13, 02:44 PM
Dave,Did you get my last post opinions please??

TINKA
25-03-13, 04:07 PM
Unless you are going to run the engine in properly then don't start it or turn it over or anything. There is special fluid on the cam which sticks to it instead of draining away like oil does so if you just give it a quick run now then when you run it in properly unless you remove the distributor and prime it all then re fit and time, then you will be running the cam dry and as it has not been run in this could bring it's life to a very short end. IMHO

dave
25-03-13, 04:26 PM
Hi Mark.
I'm pretty much with Tinka (Martin) on this one.
I do understand though that if enthusiasm is strong and cash is low then the need to do something is ever present.

kitcarsareus
25-03-13, 06:05 PM
Hi Mark.
I'm pretty much with Tinka (Martin) on this one.
I do understand though that if enthusiasm is strong and cash is low then the need to do something is ever present.

Well Dave

10/10 for your grasp of (mine at least) human nature :rolleyes:

cheers

mark chambers
25-03-13, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys,i have got the priming tool and i have timed it all up and marked it so i know where the dizzy needs to go back,with the gauges fitted and working and i have primed it already and got 50psi oil pressure which is about right with cold oil,i just wandered if it was the right thing to do as i will be able to break it in at 2000rpm for the said 20-30 minutes then drain the oil change the filter and refill, then afterwards run it again then monthly just prime it up and turn it by hand to keep things lubricated.What do you guys think??

Regards
Mark.

mark chambers
25-03-13, 07:25 PM
Dave,as a pro builder do you normally fit the engine and test last??

Regards
Mark.