PDA

View Full Version : Rover V8 distributor, Anyone got one spare?

craggle
23-03-13, 07:20 PM
Hi All

Does anyone have a Rover V8 distributor lying about in the garage unneeded?

Friend has a 4.6 V8 in his Land Rover and has a twin point Mallory ignition at the moment and it needs a service but the cost of points, Rotor arm, cap, Condensor Etc is silly!

I suggested either converting it to an electronic unit, Replacing it with a later Range Rover unit with the side mounted module or using the coilpacks we already have and going distributorless. (ECU for that though isn't cheap)

I have seem electronic modules on ebay for the Mallory distributor for £35, Too cheap? Any other thoughts?

Cheers

Craig.

neil still building it
23-03-13, 07:47 PM
hi craig,
if he cant run to an MSD 6 what about a 2nd had lumenition kit? they come up every so often..
neil

craggle
23-03-13, 08:01 PM
Oddly enough I have another Mallory distributor in the garage already fitted with a Lumenition sensor and rotor but I don't have the control box for it. Could be a good option though if I can find the right box to go with it.
Thanks for reminding me what I have in the garage, I'd forgotten!! :)

Trying to keep it fairly cheap if possible or at least in the cost of a new set of parts for the Mallory. I see there are brand new complete distributors on ebay for about £100. Seems quite good value?

Craig.

neil still building it
24-03-13, 08:14 PM
is this any good to you craig:
clear out (http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/stuff-sale/clear-out-77813)

braincol
24-03-13, 09:58 PM
is this any good to you craig:
clear out (http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/stuff-sale/clear-out-77813)

Erm ... that ad appeared to be dated April 2010 ? £10 would seem to be a major bargain, as would £35. I have a dual point Mallory distributor in as new condition (car still in build and hasn't yet run more than 1 mile) which I intend to swap for an electronic version which is more efficient and needs little or no maintenance. If the Mallory is only worth £35 though, I think I'll keep it as a known working spare. If I get any offers into three figures, I might consider selling ?

Regards,

Brian.

braincol
24-03-13, 10:05 PM
Erm ... that ad appeared to be dated April 2010 ? £10 would seem to be a major bargain, as would £35. I have a dual point Mallory distributor in as new condition (car still in build and hasn't yet run more than 1 mile) which I intend to swap for an electronic version which is more efficient and needs little or no maintenance. If the Mallory is only worth £35 though, I think I'll keep it as a known working spare. If I get any offers into three figures, I might consider selling ?

Regards,

Brian.

Hmm .. Note to self - read the whole thing properly before posting !!! I was reading the chaps joining date rather than his posting date. remainder stands though.

Brian