PDA

View Full Version : Half-way beginner

Bart@stinger
11-04-13, 05:56 PM
Hi all,
I'm based in Pretoria South Africa and recently bought a half finished Cobra from a friend. I wanted to do this for a long time and took the leap, but I really need a lot of technical help! It has a lexus engine fitted with Jaq suspension. Have no idea which body, but it seems very thick ( approx. 8mm), is this standard?
I was hoping someone could give some advice on the positioning of the steering rack since there's very limited space between the body and the engine, also, the brake booster is in the way. Is it possible to have it angled downwards past the brake pedal?
Any help will be much appreciated!

nealgs
11-04-13, 06:32 PM
Hi Bart@stinger,

Not wanting to chase you away from this site, but well worth going and registering on Talk@CobraRegistry.com (http://talk.cobraregistry.com) - there are a fair few of your fellow country men based on their - "Q" being one of the main guys on the site who maybe close by and able to physically help too (in fact just checked and "Q" is actually based in Pretoria - no sure how big a place it is, but he may even just be round the corner - lol - give him a shout.

Either way, welcome to the UK CRC website and the wonderful world of cobras in general.

Post some photos if you can of chassis, body etc, The more knowledgabel amongst us should be here shortly to help out, and these will assist greatly :D - and we also like pictures on here too - hehe :)

rgds
Gary

Bart@stinger
11-04-13, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the quick response Gary, but I like your forum way too much! I will try contact 'Q' anyway, he may be s

neil50
11-04-13, 07:51 PM
TonyD on here has a lexus powered car, as well as having built other engined versions in the past, I'm sure he will be here to offer advice:) If you can post some pictures of the areas you want help with, a picture always paints a thousand words:) Good luck with the build.

Bart@stinger
11-04-13, 07:53 PM
sorry, finger trouble.. Anyway, he may be somewhere close... I will upload some pics as soon as I have a chance, it seems as if there many different types of bodies around?

kdavies3
11-04-13, 07:55 PM
Hi & Welcome,
there are many different types of Chassis too.
The two South African ones that spring to mind are KCC and Shamrock.

Bart@stinger
11-04-13, 08:01 PM
Thanks Neil, I think I ve read most of Tonyd's posts, which were very helpfull already. Will catch up with him on my specific problems. I suppose its always difficult taking a halfway job over from someone else...

TonyD
11-04-13, 08:50 PM
Nobody here but us chickens...............

Cheers,

Tony

Bart@stinger
12-04-13, 04:52 PM
Hi Tony,
I cannot help to believe that you are the Guru when it comes to Lexus engines Cobras! All roads lead back to you... Will it perhaps be possible to send me some pics of how the steering is routed from steering wheel to the suspension? I am not 100% but I think its Jaq suspension. My problem is that the steering wheel is currently off centre and I need to get past the brake booster and in beteen the chassis and engine!
Your help will be realy appreciated.

TonyD
12-04-13, 10:52 PM
Hi Tony,
I cannot help to believe that you are the Guru when it comes to Lexus engines Cobras! All roads lead back to you... Will it perhaps be possible to send me some pics of how the steering is routed from steering wheel to the suspension? I am not 100% but I think its Jaq suspension. My problem is that the steering wheel is currently off centre and I need to get past the brake booster and in beteen the chassis and engine!
Your help will be realy appreciated.

Hi Bart,

First time I've been called a Guru.

Drop me a pm with your email addresss and I'll ping mine and some piccies of my install back to you.

Alternatively put a few piccies on here and get a whole host of brainpower working on the problem.

Is there any chance of getting a smaller brake booster/ servo/ master cylinder combination? Also will you be using the standard Lexus powersteering pump? If not remove it and you could angle the steering shaft through the gap created at the front of the engine. We relocated our ps pump to the other side of the engine into the gap where the AC compressor is located.

What steering column are you using ? Is the rack mounted in front of the front axle line or behind ? Will you be going sidepipe or underfloor exhausts? The original exhaust manifolds may give you more room for the steering column.

I think theres 5 guys with Lexus engined Cobras in the UK so theres bound to be someone who's solved your problems previously.

Cheers,

Tony

Bart@stinger
22-04-13, 06:45 AM
Hi Tony, Sorry for the slow replay but I have been out on business for the past week!

I will send you my mail address via PM...