PDA

View Full Version : SE Region Whats happened.

gareth08
14-04-13, 02:41 PM
As the title says really.
Not wishing to step on anyones toes here or upset anyone as I myself have been away from the scene for a while so could be just as guilty as anyone for anything..:(
Having been to Detling this weekend and talked to some of the guys and whats been posted on the forum I was wondering exactly what has happened to the SE over the last few years or so. General consensus seems to be that there is very little going on these days and that it appears that all of the meets have for one reason or another fallen by the wayside as well as attendance to any shows. Admittedly I used to organize the midweek meet in Maidstone but for various reasons decided to take a step back from the Cobra scene and the forum for a while but what has happened to everything else.
I know that the weather in general over the time has probably not been the most favorable and has maybe not helped much but that didn't seem to much of a problem in the past. I know that Dave was a very popular Rep when he did it and I understand that Steve M has taken over the post for a while now but nothing seems to be going on. Before anyone starts accusing me I am in no way blaming or trying to blame Steve as I a) don't even know him personally and b) I have not been around myself much anyway so it would be fair to say that I may not be in possession of all or any of the facts that may of contributed to the current situation.
It would be good to see what peoples opinions and maybe even ideas are to see what has happened and maybe why. Is this just confined to the SE or are other regions experiencing the same thing as well. Has the number of Cobra owners declined over the last few years or is it down to other circumstances. Maybe things have happened that people don't wish to post on a public forum for one reason or another. If so then feel free to PM me if you wish. I'm interested to maybe find out what has happened and why.

Please do not take any of this out of context against anyone individual under any circumstances as it is in no way meant to be insinuated like that in any way but more of a general question to all past, present and future

Gareth

Richard1977
14-04-13, 05:43 PM
Hi Gareth I went to detling yesterday only a few cobras there. I would be interested in helping out . Would be good to get meets going again although I'm some years away from attending in a cobra as the kit only arrived on Friday . If there is anything I can do please let me know . Thanks Rich

Purple AK
14-04-13, 05:56 PM
I don't think any one thing is to blame for the under attendance Gareth. As you said the weather has played a major part in it, but people also move on in various ways, it's the same with all the regions. Brian, DaveC, the two Robins, Dave the Magician and even yourself all have young families now so family stuff tends to take priority. Some have aged parents or other family illnesses to cope with, money is tight with some people, and some have just sold their cars and moved on.

steveym
14-04-13, 06:33 PM
Hi Gareth,
I'm open to ideas to try to get some interest ticking again. To be honest weather didn't help much last year - very few good meet days. Best we were getting at the monthly meets last year was a handful of attendees.

I am happy to try organising runs or other meet locations or whatever people may want to try different. Possibly a different monthly meet location may be worth trying - somewhere where we can get a coffee and a bacon roll but still be somewhere near the cars?
I attend a monthly Classic Car meet at a Café in Forest Row which is run by a car mad guy. He is happy to host our meets if we like, or even just to be the start/end of a run. The last few times I tried to organise a run to start from there I had no takers - this may be because this place in Forest Row is on the very edge of the region?

If anyone has anything other ideas on what they would like to see me organise then please let me know :-)

FYI - This year I did speak with the Detling organisers as I usually like attending this show but my post on the forum didn't get any responses and as I had to work myself over this weekend I didn't want to commit to numbers when it was possible we wouldn't have anyone there.

Rich - Happy to have some extra input and ideas. Good luck with the kit!

gareth08
14-04-13, 06:41 PM
I don't think any one thing is to blame for the under attendance Gareth. As you said the weather has played a major part in it, but people also move on in various ways, it's the same with all the regions. Brian, DaveC, the two Robins, Dave the Magician and even yourself all have young families now so family stuff tends to take priority. Some have aged parents or other family illnesses to cope with, money is tight with some people, and some have just sold their cars and moved on.

All the above is probably fair comment to a degree Chris..What would be interesting to know though is how many guys that used to attend one, two or all of the meets or shows etc still have thier cars today and what there reasons are for not going to any shows or meets etc these days. Is it due to the points you raised above or something else. How many of the original guys would attend meets if they were organized and how many' new ' people would turn up if anything was organized...curiosity really. When the original meets were going not all turned up in cobras regardless of the weather...some were building ( what happened to them ) some were considering building ( did anyone actually build one or not ) and some were just interested in general. We used to get 10 or more cobs plus others in the midweek meet and I remember when there was at least 15+ at westerham that's not including anything you guys got down your way as well...

steve_h
14-04-13, 08:50 PM
Hi Gareth

I remember 26 at the grasshopper back in 2009

I have been off the road since October with the re paint and other things but, probably made 8 or 9 meets a year for the last few years I am probably a month or so from getting mot and tax

as for this year I have got silverstone and the revival booked for a weekend at both

I am looking forward to meeting up at the riverside cafe and a drive on to the grasshopper and maybe some drives out, maybe meet up with the sussex lot, brighton one sunday perhaps?

Richard1977
14-04-13, 09:22 PM
Brighton sounds good I'd be up for that if anybody else is ?

Clarkson
14-04-13, 10:39 PM
Mr purple pretty much summed it up, also my car has been off the road for the last 4 years for a full rebuild, but I was out in it this eve driving around Worthing.

jwyatt
15-04-13, 07:30 AM
Gareth

i for one thank you for your views i am not an active member of the club , however i do attend the cafe in forest row most months
i have also attended a couple of tvr outings this year both as a driver in a cobra and a passenger in one of theirs
it would be a pleasure to meet up with you at any time just let us know where

gareth08
15-04-13, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't disagree with anything that anybody has currently said regarding what appears to be the demise of the SE region...I know that some have had there cars off the road for various reasons etc etc...but I wonder what happened to all those that used to attend and those that may now have cobs that did not have them before. I'm sorry but I don't recall all the names of everyone who used to go and I know that some were not members of this forum or the crc but of those that used to go I believe most have still got thier cars so wonder what they do now. Equally I guess that some of the shows may no longer be going that were attended but I would of thought that would be beneficial to a monthly meet. Maybe not.
I guess it would be interesting if Steve could get an idea of numbers of people who would be interested in a meet and where and when. I know that was always an issue in the past which was why I organized the midweek meet in Maidstone before as a lot of the guys then couldn't make the grasshopper on a Sunday. Has anyone else got any ideas or maybe the whole thing has run its course now.

steve_h
15-04-13, 09:44 PM
I dont know how many of us are in the epsom/croydon/dartford area, but maybe we should move a bit further south?

I am shirley, croydon I know keith lean is croydon,roy p is caterham, dave n south london Mr purple, ken f,coffindoger,plod wall aroudn brighton/lewis

steveym east grinstead clarkson and brian v8bjc around crawley

so maybe east grinstead/edenbridge may be the answer?

Richard1977
16-04-13, 06:24 AM
I'm Banstead so very close to u in Shirley. Maybe alternate it between places least it's close for everyone at some stage. Although that would be a nice run on a nice day meet tea hut Epsom downs then run down to Brighton for fish& chips on the front ,

jwyatt
16-04-13, 08:33 AM
I dont know how many of us are in the epsom/croydon/dartford area, but maybe we should move a bit further south?

I am shirley, croydon I know keith lean is croydon,roy p is caterham, dave n south london Mr purple, ken f,coffindoger,plod wall aroudn brighton/lewis

steveym east grinstead clarkson and brian v8bjc around crawley

so maybe east grinstead/edenbridge may be the answer?

i dont mind where cobras meet it will be great to see a number parked alongside each other , however the drivers must reach out to new owners and onlookers (owners of the future )
i have for one have had 3 cobras over 8 years and attended the gresshopper and deltling every year and still feel an outsider ,
i think my point is made in the above quote

steveym
16-04-13, 03:34 PM
Hi guys,
How about this...

The River View Cafe - Location (http://www.riverviewcafe.co.uk/location.html) has his monthly classic car meet on Sunday 12th May. We could meet up there around 11:00, catch the first hour or so of the meet and then head off for a run down to the coast and a trip along the coast road maybe between Newhaven/Seaford & Brighton?

Also assuming we actually get some good weather this year another good run (for the months when the meets coincide) is to head down to Goodwood in the morning for the Hants & Surrey regular meet and then back to our one in the afternoon. It is a great run down there over the hills past Amberley/Storrington.

kenf
16-04-13, 03:43 PM
Talking of SE meets, it's that time of the month again (ooer missus!). Tomorrow, Wednesday 17th, is the 3rd Wednesday of the month and time for our regular and well attended ;) monthly meet at the Newmarket Carvery on the A27, between Lewes and Falmer about 6pm ish to 6:30 ish. Good food for under £6 :eek:. Weather should be OK, a bit cool in the evening but worth it as we often take-in a couple or three blats through the Cuilfail tunnel on the way home (if you're heading East that is).

I'll be going. Any other takers? Not far from Uckfield, Crawley, Croydon, Tunbridge Wells. If you fancy a ride out, chat, food and/or drink (or all three/four) pop along. Everyone welcome, from even further afield as well. It'll be better than Detling :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Ken

steveym
16-04-13, 06:58 PM
Hi Ken,
Work is a bit of a nightmare at the moment but I'll try to give it a go - it's been a while since I came home on the back of an AA truck so what the hell :-)

gareth08
16-04-13, 08:09 PM
Hi,
Not wishing to go over old ground or rake up any arguments but one of the reasons why the midweek meet was organized was that there were quite a few guys from the mid Kent area who for various reasons found that the time and place for a meet at the grasshopper was not practical. It was probably ok for those who lived reasonably close to the M23 corridor but not for those who lived more towards the M2 and M20. From here its a good hour and a half run each way depending on traffic etc. The midweek meet was arranged so that it was just off Junction 7 of the M20 which at that moment in time made it relatively easy for most to get to from North, East , mid and south Kent. Admittedly it was harder for the likes of the Crawely, East Grinstead and Brighton area guys but at the time there were more people based in Mid Kent. I guess it comes down to the same problem as before that the SE Region covers quite a large area and it will come down to where the majority live I suppose as to where meets are likely to be held.

steveym
16-04-13, 09:48 PM
Hi Gareth,
As you say it is actually a pretty wide region and unfortunately the Grasshopper is towards the edge which does make it a long trip for those of you farther to the east of the area. Of course there is no problem to try to resurrect a mid-week meet during the summer in that area, or even given enough interest an occasional alternate venue for the monthly meets somewhere nearer to the centre of the region?

Maybe during the good weather months we can also arrange a run down towards Rye or Hastings?

gareth08
16-04-13, 10:13 PM
Hi Steve,

Balls in your court mate...:eek:
Maybe interest needs to be gauged and a general consensus as to who would be interested in what and when. I can no longer generally do Sundays as I run a football team among other things and our season runs from September till April so apart from the odd week that pretty much takes up Sundays throughout that time.

Neil O
16-04-13, 10:28 PM
Just a tip......although we have a most excellent leader down here (Chris Cluett) we all try to organise a meet each month in turn. It means that the meets tend to vary a fair bit in their geography as we also have a large area.
It tends to take the pressure off one person too.

Having said all that, since Chris retired (sort of) he seems to be doing more of the organising than he used to.

Purple AK
16-04-13, 10:29 PM
I seem to remember this very same conversation a few years ago. For most of us, Sunday is the only day we can get off to use our cars.

gareth08
17-04-13, 12:04 AM
I seem to remember this very same conversation a few years ago. For most of us, Sunday is the only day we can get off to use our cars.

Like I said earlier I'm really not going there again. The only reason for me starting this post was to see what had happened over the last few years even more so now that it appears the grasshopper is no longer going. Without getting into a row Chris which I am NOT going to do the one thing that seems odd is that if a Sunday is the only day that most can use there cars then why is the grasshopper dead and there appear to be very few if any meets. That was the only reason for my post not to rake up old ground...

steveym
17-04-13, 07:47 AM
Hi Gareth,
It's worth pointing out that the Grasshopper meet is still going :-) albeit at lower numbers than a few years ago.

FYI - last year I posted a message to ask people what they wanted me to do different - to organise more runs, different venues etc....but unfortunately I got very few responses. If we have a number of members who would return to the regular meets if they were done in a different way then I'm happy to try. Unfortunately I cannot easily organise many meets in your neck of the woods as it is a long trip from my area and so along with work commitments makes evening meets very difficult. As I said before I would be happy to arrange either an occasional alternate venue for the monthly meets, or additional weekend get togethers or runs, particularly in the summer months, if we have the interest for this.

kenf
17-04-13, 09:32 AM
Speaking personally, the best things about the (SE) meet for me were/are: (1) The gathering together before the 40-odd mile trip to Westerham. This was at the Little Chef in Uckfield (now sadly gone) where we could have a relaxed breakfast and then a convoy up to the meet. I think the the most we had were 5 cobs and it was great to be in a line of cobs going through the Sussex countryside up to the meet. (2) The gathering at the Grasshopper, meet up with old friends and making new ones, a quick kick of each other's tyres (metaphorically speaking) and then (3) the convoy to the Ide Hill pub and then parking up and drowning out the noise of the TVRs, Ultimas, Lotuses and any others that were there, settling down for a drink and a bite to eat. Joining the Goodwood meet whenever it falls on the same day as ours or the occasional foray north of the river into the wilds of Essex were also great fun. In a nutshell, driving the car, preferably in a group, for a decent run-out, food and/or drink then a blat home are the main reasons for me to attend the meet - a full day out. Unfortunately, the piss poor weather put a damper on this activity and family commitments just get in the way! The thing I disliked about the meeting was arriving at the Grasshopper, kicking tyres for an hour or so then everone going their own way because of other commitments. A couple of hours driving the cob is OK, but I can do that on the roads near me. I'm all for alternate venues and activities but realise that not everyone can/wants to do the same. I know we're all different and have different aims but that's my tuppence-worth.

Ken

jwyatt
17-04-13, 01:32 PM
reading what everyone has said i would suggest a format simular to that of the guys from hampshire where they have outlined the year, even down to a venue for christmas
whilst not everyone can attend every fixture at least you can plan the ones that fit around other commitments

gareth08
17-04-13, 05:15 PM
Steve, I understand what you are saying that if no one is interested or replies your hands are somewhat tied. Equally I undererstand your point about distance to travel from where you and others are to say Maidstone BUT equally anyone over here has exactly the same problem. It might not be that far in milestone? but it's all roads stuck behind bloody traffic. That coupled with basically using an entire Sunday to basically stand in a car park did and maybe still does put some people off. I believe Ken sort of made that point in his post along either a few other very valid points. That is all partly why the old midweek meet was arranged in Maidstone of an evening as it was considerably more central in general then the grasshopper and being just of the M20 a little easier for most to get to especially those in North, Mid and South Kent and to a degree South London. Having said that I'm not sure that reviving the Maidstone meet would work these days as I'm not sure how many are still around now. If enough were interested then maybe something could be sorted out or maybe there could be alternative meets that may work out better all round and maybe attract more people. To be honest all I'm doing is throwing some ideas about and see what response is like.
What about somewhere like Santa Pod for a weekend or something. Years ago I remember going to the Chelsea cruise on a Saturday night or to the gathering at Lakeside...are any of them still going.
I personally don't mind travelling a bit if it's all worthwhile and it's not in the middle of the day work etc permitting.

steve_h
17-04-13, 06:10 PM
Deff planning to do the chelsea cruise soon this month is 70's revival

gareth08
17-04-13, 06:36 PM
Deff planning to do the chelsea cruise soon this month is 70's revival

Now that is something worth trying to organize...

jemburrett
18-04-13, 12:59 AM
Must be great to be in a region!

Jeremy

Star Kicker
02-09-14, 11:15 AM
Hi All,

I have just been reviewing some old threads and read with interest this one concerning the revival of the SE Region.

A number of new members since 2013 have been trying to do just this and have created a spread sheet of interested parties wishing to meet up and have attended a few events this year.

View http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/south-east-region/52053-regional-meets-database.html and add your name.

Clarkson
07-09-14, 08:57 PM
Does anyone still go to the grasshopper?

steve_h
08-09-14, 05:00 PM
Hi Dave

yes a few still go, I have missed the last 2 or 3 (sorry Guys) but should be able to do Sept, before I get stuck into all the jobs I should have done on the car this year

has been about 4 - 6 cars at most of the meets in recent times, I think as Kenf said we have all ended up with loads of commitments and, for me Sunday is the only day I have with the wife to do all the stuff we need to sort together, so, slotting in Le mans / Silverstone and Revival uses up a lot of the "spare" Sundays I have

If we could get someone with a bit of time, to step up as rep/ co-ordinator (retired maybe?) to organise us rabble I think we could get back to things like the sunday lunches at the woodman/ bewel water picnics and trips to the goodwood meet when the sunday coinside and other associated doo's

Steve

Turbycat
09-09-14, 06:25 PM
Not been around much myself. Got in to flying RC Jets earlier this year so if the weather has been nice I've been hooning models around the sky at 200mph+. Also had a lot of family outings/ trips abroad during the summer holidays with the kids. So much to do so little time.....

Andy

LUX 427
10-09-14, 08:41 AM
When I joined the Club 18 months ago I found that the Grasshopper Sunday meets were not convenient for me (as others have commented). After asking around I started to informally organise Saturday meetings. Working on the basis of: meet for coffee somewhere, drive to a notable venue for a photoshoot and then a lunch. As I live in France for 6 months in the Summer I've only organised two events, Autumn 2013 and Spring 2014, each attended by about 6-8 cars. I'm happy to organise more and have a couple of ideas to create new venues etc.

One of the inhibiters of getting more attendees, is peoples unwillingness to travel 'long distances'. East Kent is fairly widespread and getting people from Dartford, Canterbury, Margate, Tunbridge Wells etc can be problematic. I can certainly see why some will not want to drive to the Grasshopper if they want to keep mileages down. However, having just attended the ECM 2014 in St Tropez, it seems that a lot of Cobra owners are happy to do 80-300km in a day!

The last event centred near Ashford attracted Cobras from Dartford, Welwyn(?), Canterbury, Tunbridge Wells etc.

Happy to arrange more if the demand is there. BUT I know that won't be attractive for everyone in the SE Region.

Regards,

David

Hi Dave

yes a few still go, I have missed the last 2 or 3 (sorry Guys) but should be able to do Sept, before I get stuck into all the jobs I should have done on the car this year

has been about 4 - 6 cars at most of the meets in recent times, I think as Kenf said we have all ended up with loads of commitments and, for me Sunday is the only day I have with the wife to do all the stuff we need to sort together, so, slotting in Le mans / Silverstone and Revival uses up a lot of the "spare" Sundays I have

If we could get someone with a bit of time, to step up as rep/ co-ordinator (retired maybe?) to organise us rabble I think we could get back to things like the sunday lunches at the woodman/ bewel water picnics and trips to the goodwood meet when the sunday coinside and other associated doo's

Steve

dave.n
10-09-14, 10:35 PM
The guy's are up and running again and hold a list of interesting events.
Royce and paul are doing present day round ups and organising.
The grasshopper is still going strong, but I only attend now and then.

lookyliky350
11-09-14, 07:06 PM
This has been my first year with a Cobra so have shown at various events (to get a feel of the shows) some are brilliant and some not so, The weather has also played a big part with 4 of 7 shows being rained off. Every thing seems to be 1st or last or 4th Sunday of month with a few midweek! there is 2 shows this w/end 14th Aylesford and Edenbridge but who's going where?. If any one from SE Region want's to PM me with e-mail or phone numbers there is a list of members (currently 11) with events attended/due. I would look forward to hearing from you

Tony

bad habits
12-09-14, 03:48 PM
Hi all,

I currently live in north east London but am just in the process of buying a house near Lingfield, this will put me and the cob in ideal place to attend meets in the surrey/kent/sussex area so hope to see you soon.

Chris

LUX 427
12-09-14, 04:01 PM
Chris,

That's good news. Welcome to the area. I live near Tenterden about 35 miles from Lingfield. You can see from the above comments that you'd be welcome at any events you can make.

As soon as my clutch is repaired (it blew up at the European Cobra Meeting last week) I'll be trying to arrange an event or two and I know that Paul and Royce are also keen to get events going.

David

[QUOTE=bad habits;508812]Hi all,

I currently live in north east London but am just in the process of buying a house near Lingfield, this will put me and the cob in ideal place to attend meets in the surrey/kent/sussex area so hope to see you soon.
/QUOTE]

Star Kicker
15-09-14, 08:37 AM
Sunday 28th September is the next potential Grasshopper meeting date, so weather permitting perhaps this could be a good time to try and meet up and discuss revitalisation of the SE Region.

LUX 427
15-09-14, 09:21 AM
Paul,

My car goes in for a new clutch on 22nd so not sure whether I'll have a car for 28th. I'll keep you posted.

David

Sunday 28th September is the next potential Grasshopper meeting date, so weather permitting perhaps this could be a good time to try and meet up and discuss revitalisation of the SE Region.

Star Kicker
01-10-14, 04:29 PM
Good turnout at the Grasshopper on 26th. 9 cars and sunshine.

A few guys are planning a trip over to the sunnyside to see the guys in Essex. Anyone fancy tagging along sign up here and we will review weather and arrangements later on in the week

Turbycat
01-10-14, 05:07 PM
I'll try to get to this one. If it's too windy for RC flying I'll be able to make it. Trouble is I have an eager student who only needs a couple more sessions to get him ready to go on his own. I've sort of promised him the time if the weather is ok :(. Fingers crossed for a blowy dry day!! I really need to get some cobra time, last time was 3 weeks ago!

Andy

LUX 427
01-10-14, 05:10 PM
Car still not back from the garage but will keep an eye on the arrangements and let you know if I can come.

David

Good turnout at the Grasshopper on 26th. 9 cars and sunshine.

A few guys are planning a trip over to the sunnyside to see the guys in Essex. Anyone fancy tagging along sign up here and we will review weather and arrangements later on in the week

Star Kicker
01-10-14, 05:25 PM
Hi David,

Have you signed up to Royce's email contact list as this is the most convenient way of being kept upto date with inpromptu arrangements