PDA

View Full Version : For Sale: Period Looking Dax Cobra with 400ci Dart Based V8 502BHP

V8 BJC
01-05-13, 08:55 PM
After 2 years of deliberation if have reluctantly decided to offer for sale my professionally built and very period looking AC Cobra Replica. The car has been highly modified to complete the period look and is finished in unmarked period colours of Flag Blue (very similar to guardsman blue) with Wimbledon White Le Mans stripes.

In 2010 the car was fitted with a 400ci V8 engine built without cost compromise from 100% brand new high quality parts (including the Dart SHP block which is far superior to the GM SBC used in many cars). The engine block and components were chosen to deliver high power output but also to maximise reliability. Engine components include Dart pro1 heads, Scat forged lightweight steel crankshaft, Scat forged H-beam con-rods, SRP pistons, COMP Cams hydraulic roller camshaft, Crower roller lifters, COMP Cams Ultra Pro Magnum Rocker Arms, Billet Specialities polished Rocker covers, Edelbrock Vic-Jnr intake manifold, Barry Grant Speed Demon 750 VS carb, Canton road race sump, Mocal oil cooler, Edelbrock air filter and MSD Ignition. The engine sits in a stainless steel lined engine bay and is fully dressed with stainless steel ancillaries, pipework and ARP bolt kit.

The engine was built and dyno tested at Tim Adams Racing Engines and produces 502 bhp and 502 lbs-ft torque. The car drives fantastically, seriously fast with savage acceleration when you want to have fun but easy to drive ‘lazy’ on long trips and has been all over Europe a number of times.

Power is delivered to the wheels through a McLeod heavy duty clutch with kevlar plate, Tremek TKO high performance gearbox and a Jaguar 3.54 power-lock limited slip differential. Suspension is fully adjustable.

The chassis and body were supplied by the well respected DJ Sportscars (Dax) and the car was professionally built and SVA’d in 2003 by DB Replicas, the UKs largest Cobra build agent with over 150 completed builds. The car was built from new parts and was registered as a brand new vehicle (DX03 ***) in 2003.

The car was originally built for and registered to another customer who did not take delivery when the car was complete. I purchased the car with only 190 miles on the clock. The car has now covered 17,500 miles.

In 2008/09, I decided to completely restyle the car to in an attempt to create a more traditional looking Cobra. No expense was spared on this transformation which included:

Complete body strip, prep and repaint in period colours by the highly reputable Sovereign Coachworks. Total cost £5k.
Brand new bonnet modified to accept an original size riveted bonnet scoop supplied by Hawk cars.
Brand new interior trimmed in luxury black leather by Trimshop. New seats with additional padding for greater comfort, custom designed door cards with large leather storage pockets, new black carpets piped in black, new gear lever and handbrake gaiters and custom made period looking flat bottom dashboard. The dashboard is modelled on the original 427SC cars with Smiths Classic Cobra gauges and Lucas switches. A leather covered bottom panel adds rigidity and the car body and doors were both modified before paint in order to make the dashboard fit properly and look right in the car. Custom made stainless steel steering column stalks have replaced the standard plastic items.
Brand new JC type Halibrand wheels from Image. There are no visible perimeter bolts or wheel nuts on these wheels and they look highly authentic dressed with spinners. The 16” rims are clear anodized for easy maintenance and the centres are powder coated in anthracite. Toyo Proxes TR1 Tyres.
Brand new side pipes custom made to replicate those on period 427SC cars. New headers completed the new exhaust system which was produced from high quality 316 marine grade stainless steel and the welds have been perfectly blended away. They really are a work of art.
Custom made single roll-bar also in 316 stainless steel which leans back towards the rear of the car and has an offset rear support leg as per original cars. Again, all welds are perfectly blended away.
High quality chrome on brass Aston style fuel filler recessed into the rear wing. The filler has a lockable cap which has been adapted for tank breathing.
OEM style aluminium side vents anodized for easy maintenance.
Stainless steel stoneguards on rear arches.
Raydot aluminium screen mounted side mirror
3” 5-point seat harnesses mounted to chassis in boot rather than on the rear deck
Stainless steel quick-lift jacks (I also have SS nudgebars and over-riders if preferred)
Motalita steering wheel with polished billet AC centre cap.
Lucas light lenses with HID headlight system
AC cast pedal pads

The car was essentially put back to brand new condition in 2009 with the brand new engine added in 2010. The car has recently benefitted from a new battery and new alternator. No expense has been spared in getting this car to how I wanted it and I have a history file detailing every £1 spent. I have enjoyed the car immensely for 10 years but unfortunately time has come to sell as I do not now get time to use it as much as I would like since starting a family.

The car is currently registered on a private plate V8BJC which is not offered as part of the sale. The original registration DX03 *** will be returned to the car prior to sale completion.

Asking price - £29,995

Please call or PM if you have any questions

Brian 07788 427 539

steve_h
01-05-13, 09:03 PM
Hi Brian

Sorry to see you selling the car, if I were looking to buy a cob I would bite your arm off

I think your car is possibly the best, most sorted car I have seen and who ever buys it will be getting a bargin

I do actually wish I had the money

Steve

MattS6
02-05-13, 06:47 AM
One of my all time favourite Cobs. Good price too. Good luck with the sale.

Dixie
02-05-13, 11:10 AM
That is lovely, are you getting out of Cobs or want another project?

Would consider a P/X with my Dax? and a good few quid your way.

Mark

V8 BJC
02-05-13, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys. I will be sad to see it leave my garage after 10 years of enjoyment and a lot of effort to get it the way it looks today.

Sadly, I no longer get the time to use it as often as I would like.

Good news is that I have already purchased something new for the stable. Back to my TVR days with one of the last 100 Special Eddition Griff 500's.

Dixie
02-05-13, 11:54 AM
Was considering putting a "For sale" sign on my Dax, and look to upgrade.

This add had made my mind up to do it. You never know, someone out there might be looking.

M

V8 BJC
02-05-13, 11:58 AM
Go for it Mark, nothing to loose

Lotus11
03-05-13, 08:01 AM
I've driven the sumo to work every day this week and I'm bitten !! Seriously considering trading her up for a chevy dax !!

kdavies3
03-05-13, 09:19 AM
I've driven the sumo to work every day this week and I'm bitten !! Seriously considering trading her up for a chevy dax !!

And you won't find a nicer one than Brian's. ;)

V8 BJC
07-05-13, 01:24 PM
And you won't find a nicer one than Brian's. ;)

Thanks Kev, this Cobra selling business really is gut wrenching, especially after the weekend of sunshine that we have just had.

kdavies3
07-05-13, 04:30 PM
I thought you would have taken it to Stoneleigh with a for sale sticker?

V8 BJC
07-05-13, 06:44 PM
I thought you would have taken it to Stoneleigh with a for sale sticker?

I thought about it but I had family commitments and already agreed to go to Goodwood with a mate.

Clarkson
07-05-13, 09:42 PM
I'm actually a bit sad to see this car go to a new owner, I've not only enjoyed rebuilding my own car, but also joining in the big dilemmas brian has had over his re- styled Dax. I will also miss the thousands of Europe miles we have covered together and all the giggles we once had!! Hope the new buyer looks after it as much as you have and he will probably own one of the best UK's Dax replicas!!

I'm gonna text Emma to try and talk you out of this in my last best attempt for you to keep it....

V8 BJC
08-05-13, 09:12 PM
I'm actually a bit sad to see this car go to a new owner, I've not only enjoyed rebuilding my own car, but also joining in the big dilemmas brian has had over his re- styled Dax. I will also miss the thousands of Europe miles we have covered together and all the giggles we once had!! Hope the new buyer looks after it as much as you have and he will probably own one of the best UK's Dax replicas!!

I'm gonna text Emma to try and talk you out of this in my last best attempt for you to keep it....

Hahaha - I have hidden Emma's phone.

The European tours WILL go on, just with 170 less horses to play with. Hoping that you and Steve are patient and wait for my little old TVR.

kdavies3
08-05-13, 09:31 PM
Sorry Brian, but how is a TVR any more practical and useable than your cobra.
Answers on a postcard?

Clarkson
08-05-13, 09:33 PM
Hoping that you and Steve are patient and wait for my little old TVR.

Well I got feed up waiting last Sunday...... Lol

Purple AK
08-05-13, 09:33 PM
I can't believe you are downgrading to the ultimate in unreliability Brian!

Clarkson
08-05-13, 09:41 PM

Kev & Chris, I have told him many times and he ain't listening to me!!!!

Because its got a proper roof!!

Purple AK
08-05-13, 09:45 PM
Kev & Chris, I have told him many times and he ain't listening to me!!!!

Because its got a proper roof!!
It'll keep him dry while he's waiting for the recovery truck I suppose ;-)

Neil O
09-05-13, 08:08 AM
Sorry to hear of you selling your Dax Brian. :(
When I last saw your car at LeMans it was looking mighty fine.
You have done a fantastic job of the re-modelling and someone is going to get a very very nice car. :)

V8 BJC
09-05-13, 06:52 PM
Sorry Brian, but how is a TVR any more practical and useable than your cobra.
Answers on a postcard?

Hi Kev,
Weekend usage has been at a minimum since the little one arrived so looking to use the 'sports car' more during the summer for work during the week. A TVR is considerably more civilised for this purpose. Considerably less power, a lot less noisy and a proper roof. I don't mind getting wet in the cob in jeans and a jumper but it ain't no fun in a suit, shirt and tie!. There are many many days where the weather looks questionable so the Cobra would not get used for the drive to work. In the TVR, no problem as you can throw the roof up if it rains. I know you can roof the cobra (and I have one) but it is in no way the same as the roof on a TVR.

The other reason is that after 10 years I just fancy a change to be honest. I love my Cobra to bits and many that know me very well still remain unconvinced that I will go through with a sale. After 10 years of owning and developing this car I will be rather sad to see it go but there are so many cars in the world and too little time to try them all.

Brian

V8 BJC
09-05-13, 07:02 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Chris, this will be my 4th TVR. I have had TVR classics of different era's and also nearly new cars with sub 5k miles. I have NEVER been let down by a TVR. Worst thing that ever happened to me with a TVR was a a piece of leather falling of the screen surround. Dealer fixed while I waited.

In 2005 I bought a brand new Audi A3 Sportback. It let me down twice in the first 3 months of ownership. Both times stranded with no car to use! Also a number of electrical and switch issues sorted under warranty

In 2011 I bought a BMW 335d, again, trim and drivers seat issues sorted under warranty.

My experience is the polar opposite of what you describe, TVR been more reliable that the so called premium German brands. Got all my fingers crossed that this TVR will be as reliable for me as the others have been.

Please cross your fingers for me also!

Brian
dealer demo cars with brand

V8 BJC
09-05-13, 07:03 PM
Did you say something ;-)

V8 BJC
09-05-13, 07:06 PM
Sorry to hear of you selling your Dax Brian. :(
When I last saw your car at LeMans it was looking mighty fine.
You have done a fantastic job of the re-modelling and someone is going to get a very very nice car. :)

Thanks Neil, took me ages to make this decision. Sad yes, but looking forward to having something new to play with .

runt
09-05-13, 07:23 PM
Best of luck Brian, as said, a stunner and planned/finished very tastefully. Chris (Purple) made me laugh, when I went for a Chimaera in 2000 I took a DEEP breath, but my '98 450 soon responded to a thorough service having sat brooding in a garage for a year.
Griff/Chimaera late models are FUN !

Paul:cool:

slogger
09-05-13, 08:30 PM
Good luck with the sale Brian. Just one small point............................

You must be mad!!!!
All the best.

V8 BJC
10-05-13, 06:34 PM
Some say that was never in doubt Ian.

V8 BJC
13-05-13, 02:12 PM
Sold

To a very nice chap from Nottingham.
Not sure if I am pleased or sad.

dingocooke
13-05-13, 02:26 PM
Sold

To a very nice chap from Nottingham.
Not sure if I am pleased or sad.

Well done Brian; I'll keep my eyes open for it!!! Don't forget to upgrade your recovery cover now you're back in a TVR ;-)

Dixie
13-05-13, 02:50 PM
Lucky sod who brought it!! He has a great car.

Now I can put mine up for sale, didnt want it to advertise mine while yours was for sale.

M

TINKA
13-05-13, 06:25 PM
He is one lucky chap. Under stand why you sold Brian priorities do change when kids come along but I still think your mad :confused::razz::razz:

Lets hope we see it about locally.

legend
13-05-13, 08:08 PM
Brian, commiserations!!!

steve_h
13-05-13, 11:01 PM
Knew it wouldnt take long,
hes got a very special package i hope he takes good care of it

V8 BJC
14-05-13, 05:36 AM
Cheers guys. The new owner has wanted a cobra for many years and seemed pretty thrilled with it. I will keep in touch with people here and hopefully follow what happens next with my Dax. Maybe the new owner will keep it a few years then paint imperial blue and fit a magnolia interior.

simon finlay
14-05-13, 06:29 PM
Hi Brian, just seen the news, it's a shame for you but keep in contact and don't be a has been too long, all the best buddy, cheers, Simon. PS I am not bringing anything back from the USA for your TVR before you ask!!!!!!

steve_h
14-05-13, 08:53 PM
Maybe the new owner will keep it a few years then paint imperial blue and fit a magnolia interior.[/QUOTE]

very droll............................................. .................................................. ..............................................love it

V8 BJC
14-05-13, 10:30 PM
Hi Brian, just seen the news, it's a shame for you but keep in contact and don't be a has been too long, all the best buddy, cheers, Simon. PS I am not bringing anything back from the USA for your TVR before you ask!!!!!!

Hahaha Simon. The TVR is one of the certified 100 final special edition Griffith 500 SEs so it would be rather criminal to mod it. IMHO it should stay exactly how it rolled out of the factory even if it is rather lacking in the horsepower department!