PDA

View Full Version : Dax Coupe

Resik
07-05-13, 03:07 PM
This was on the Dax Cars stand at Stoneleigh kitcarshow and does looks fantastic :

jonny m
07-05-13, 03:50 PM
Great motor.

Already promised my lads that we'll sell the Sumo in about 5 years so we can build a coupe together.

I thought only Factoy Five made one - couldn't find any info or prices on the web though ?!

Jon

Wetpool
07-05-13, 04:18 PM
@Rocco, have you visited Stoneleigh?? Reg. the Coupé, was there no interior mounted yet, since the screens seem to be out of cardboard?? Sidepipe doesnt quite do it for me, too fragile in my eyes and the bend at the end seems odd??

Best Regards, Theo

Myshrall 189
07-05-13, 04:36 PM
That coupe looked awesome. Still a bit of work by Dax to get it finished but good to see them trying something different.
Good luck to them.
If I wasn't part way through my Cobra it would be on the short list of cars to build.

plod
07-05-13, 04:43 PM
Great motor.

Already promised my lads that we'll sell the Sumo in about 5 years so we can build a coupe together.

I thought only Factoy Five made one - couldn't find any info or prices on the web though ?!

Jon

I'm sure Anthony (Chimaeara) was dipping his finger :D into these realms and it looks like Shell Valley are still in this market Daytona Coupe Series II Replica Kits, Parts and Accessories (http://www.shellvalley.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/Category_ID=7/home_id=-1/mode=cat/cat7.htm)

garyjettrike
07-05-13, 04:58 PM
it is built by John Kox the belgen dax agent but it dose use a lengthened Dax De Deon chassis the car at the show was only mocked up but they will be available as a kit later in the year,
hears a link to John web site Nieuws (http://www.daxbenelux.com/)

dgosumo
07-05-13, 05:07 PM
Very nice. Though with a few tweaks to the bodywork it would look one of the original Dodge Vipers........

Resik
07-05-13, 07:17 PM
@Rocco, have you visited Stoneleigh?? Reg. the Coupé, was there no interior mounted yet, since the screens seem to be out of cardboard?? Sidepipe doesnt quite do it for me, too fragile in my eyes and the bend at the end seems odd??

Best Regards, Theo

Yes, the show was good and the weather was lovely. The interior was not finished and the side screens where just covers. It was build on an extended Dax De Dion chassis with CC&AR. So you will have all the benefits of this chassis. The sidepipes where only for the show, as an Coupe without does looks a little bit strange to me.

JonnyT
07-05-13, 07:24 PM
It was responsible for me getting the bug again... The bit I thought was really odd were the front wheels - they didn't fill the arches, but I think they were too small for the body - back wheels were bigger. looks fantastic though. I can use all the experience of the previous build and end up with a completely different car - I like the idea of that.

I even spent quite a lot of time looking at the price lists today - that's a bad sign isn't it!!!

Resik
07-05-13, 07:59 PM
I did speak to Dax and there agent. They gave me this info on a paper : £ 5299.00 (without VAT), for the body, complete with bonnet, boot, doors & spoiler with bulkheads and floorpanel already moulded in. With rollcage, door hinges+bonnet hinges. A lot of the parts are the same as for the Dax 427 and the info for the Coupe should be on the website very soon, that´s why they told me.

dingocooke
07-05-13, 09:21 PM
John Cox collected my Hawk a few years back, nice guy, very much the enthusiast.

simon finlay
17-05-13, 07:42 PM
Just seen this and I have to agree, those front wheel apertures are WAY to big, the front wheels look just plain daft with all the space around them, as much as I admire DAX for doing this I for one would not buy one just because of that. I hope they look at this before committing to it.

craggle
18-05-13, 09:10 AM
Was there even an engine or interior in the car? Looks kind of empty through the bonnet vent. Probably just needs to come down a bit on the ride height and the 18" wheels look a bit wrong, 15's would be nicer but that's probably all they could find around the workshop at the time.
It's clearly not finished in the photos and I think Dax were quite brave showing it to the public in a part finished state, Glad they did though. If I knew it was going to be there I might have made the effort to go to the show and take a look but then the £15 entrance fee would have pissed me off all day! I might as well travel less distance and see it at the factory for free.

I've been saying for ages Dax should do a Daytona bodyshell and now they have there's no way I can afford to build one, Typical! :) If I did build one though it would be have a steel rollcage added welded to the chassis to stiffen up the frame a bit, 15" wheels if they would fit, small block Ford and an authentic looking interior. I've never liked authentic looking Cobra's but then non authentic looking Daytona's are just as bad to me, Go figure..... :)

Craig.

Elanore427
18-05-13, 09:17 AM
Hey Craig, I have a feeling it already has a roll cage welded in...

ukmartin1
17-07-13, 02:45 PM
I am very interested in this car, but could not find much via google........

Also looks a lot like the Factory Five if you compare all fender shapes and things like the front windshield and spoiler https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-new/seven-factory-five-coupes/

We sure this is a DAX design?

KevinW
17-07-13, 02:49 PM
Doesnt really matter if it is or not.
Cobra bodies (289,FIA,427,Coupe) are all derivative in some way - i think the current Dax 427 designs originally came from germany many years ago.
The only important questions are whether it will pass iva easily and whether the customer likes the look and feel of it.

ukmartin1
17-07-13, 02:52 PM
yeah you have a good point, do you also think the DAX chassis is just as capable as the Factory Five? I here Factory Five is well know for there race proven chassis. Would hate it if my dax chassis would warp the body, I just like that the DAX us so much more affordable

dave.n
17-07-13, 03:51 PM
Martin.
If your interested and can't find anymore on google, surely the next step would be to telephone/e-mail/chat to Dax and report back to all of us and tell us all about it please.

Lloyd Barnes
17-07-13, 04:08 PM
I'd be surprised if the Dedion Dax chassis wasn't as good as the Factory Fives? Dax are perhaps best known for their forward thinking in chassis design? :-)

I'd be interested to hear more too. Surely a market, albeit a small one, for a UK coupe offer.

dave
17-07-13, 09:21 PM
I think the F5 race cars are just run in their own race series.
There used to be a race series here for Citroen 2CVs. An Gary Jettrike used to race lawnmowers in a lawnmower only series, so don't get too sucked in by the "Race car handling" hype from our Yee Haww cousins across the pond ;)

garyjettrike
17-07-13, 09:29 PM
dont forget i was world chapion and i bet i can beat a F5 coupe on it

ukmartin1
18-07-13, 06:48 AM
There are FFR cars competing in 25 hour races where they compete with Porsche cup cars so that proves there chassis is capable of racing outside there own series.
(There are also a bunch of FFR's racing in Europe, which you can find online)

A DAX owner once told me he took is car to the track, and had his door open on him when he started cornering harder, which is why I am concerned. (because more people tell this story)

Lloyd Barnes
18-07-13, 06:57 AM
A DAX owner once told me he took is car to the track, and had his door open on him when he started cornering harder, which is why I am concerned. (because more people tell this story)

Dax added a backbone brace some years ago to their chassis to stop any such movement. Not a concern on later cars (plus I think you can retrofit it).

Bear in mind the F5 will also not have been designed with IVA in mind, so could take some modification to get it through.

tonym
18-07-13, 07:10 AM
Guess we have a new ffr distributor in our midst :-) :-)

Neil O
18-07-13, 08:19 AM
I don't care if the FFR has a race pedigree or not, I'm not a fan of their "perky butt". ;)

dingocooke
18-07-13, 09:01 AM
I am very interested in this car, but could not find much via google........

Also looks a lot like the Factory Five if you compare all fender shapes and things like the front windshield and spoiler https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-new/seven-factory-five-coupes/

We sure this is a DAX design?

Theyre all copies of the original anyway, so really what does it matter if a DAX coupe is a splash of a F5 coupe that was a splash of another copy, that was copied from a copy of a copy of a copy of a splash of an original car... ;-)
There is a very nice Daytona coupe manufactured in Europe, that is a facsimile of the original, as are the coupes that Kirkham build; depends what youre after rally; I suspect the dax coupe will bring a more affordable coupe to the UK and Europe; bringing an F5 coupe here would be expensive and has been mentioned, a touch more difficult to get through IVA than a replica dsigned to comply with IVA

jcmha
01-08-13, 09:23 PM
Helloeveryone
Thanks foryour reactions. I want to tell you why I started building this car. Since I'm aDax agent (already 20 years), I'm really interested to build a Daytona Coupe. Sosome time ago, I started my one off-project. I bought a body from an AmericanDaytona, but its quality was so bad and I thought "I want to do thatbetter by myself". This winter I started by making the moulds and I mademy first body shell. When this was ready, I started wondering about why Iwouldn't do it on a small commercial way? What I wanted achieve is: use achassis that has proved itself (Dax De-Dion chassis), a body complete withfloor and rollbar laminated to each other, and further all the rest of theparts like the break parts and electrics to be just the same ones as used onthe Dax Cobra. Only the windows were different. So, in fact, nothing special orvery expensive. And that is exactly what I achieved! When you are interested tobuild one, you have to buy the (rolling) chassis from Dax UK. The body price is5.500 ex vat (this includes main body, floor, roll bar, bonnet, doors and frontwindscreen). This price includes the transport to Dax Harlow or in theneighbourhood of it. On the next open day from Dax in September, the car willbe shown. I will be there to answer your questions. If you want any more information before theopen day, just ask me here.
Bestregards, John.

britbits
02-08-13, 06:21 AM
From the horses mouth so to speak, so now we all know, will be interesting to see complete car , regards Dave B.

jcmha
02-08-13, 04:55 PM
Something went wrong with the message before.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your reactions. I want to tell you why I started building this car. Since I'm a Dax agent (for almost 20 years), I was really interested to build a Daytona Coupe. So some time ago, I started my one off-project. I bought a body from an American Daytona, but its quality was so bad and I thought "I want to do that better by myself". This winter I started by making the molds and I made my first body shell. When this was ready, I started wondering about why I wouldn't do it on a small commercial way? What I wanted achieve is: Use a chassis that has proved itself in the last few years. And a Dax agent the choice for the Dax De-Dion chassis was the most logical one. A body completed with a floor and roll bar laminated into it. And further all the rest of the parts like the break parts and electrics to be just the same ones as used on the Dax 427. So, in fact, nothing special or very expensive to build this Daytona. And that is exactly what I wanted to achieve!

When you are interested to build one, you have to buy the (rolling) chassis (extended version) from DJ Sportscars. The body price is £ 5500 ex vat (this includes main body, floor, roll bar, bonnet, doors and front windscreen). This price includes the transport to Harlow (DJ Sportscars) or in the neighbourhood of it. On the next open day from DJ Sportscars in September, the Daytona will be shown. I will be there to answer all your questions. If you want any more information before this day, just ask me here.

Best regards, John Kox

CobraButler
06-04-14, 02:00 PM
Something went wrong with the message before.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your reactions. I want to tell you why I started building this car. Since I'm a Dax agent (for almost 20 years), I was really interested to build a Daytona Coupe. So some time ago, I started my one off-project. I bought a body from an American Daytona, but its quality was so bad and I thought "I want to do that better by myself". This winter I started by making the molds and I made my first body shell. When this was ready, I started wondering about why I wouldn't do it on a small commercial way? What I wanted achieve is: Use a chassis that has proved itself in the last few years. And a Dax agent the choice for the Dax De-Dion chassis was the most logical one. A body completed with a floor and roll bar laminated into it. And further all the rest of the parts like the break parts and electrics to be just the same ones as used on the Dax 427. So, in fact, nothing special or very expensive to build this Daytona. And that is exactly what I wanted to achieve!

When you are interested to build one, you have to buy the (rolling) chassis (extended version) from DJ Sportscars. The body price is £ 5500 ex vat (this includes main body, floor, roll bar, bonnet, doors and front windscreen). This price includes the transport to Harlow (DJ Sportscars) or in the neighbourhood of it. On the next open day from DJ Sportscars in September, the Daytona will be shown. I will be there to answer all your questions. If you want any more information before this day, just ask me here.

Best regards, John Kox

Hello John,
I'm very much interested in starting a coupe build. Is there any more info you could share? Perhaps some more photos? Is there one on show at the showroom?

Best regards,

Joe Butler

jcmha
13-04-14, 06:05 AM
Hello Joe,

the Dax Coupe will be on the Open Day at Dax Cars in Harlow on Friday 18th April. I´m now waiting for some upgrade parts. When it will be 100% sure, I will let you know.

Kind regards,

John Kox

jcmha
18-04-14, 09:15 AM
The Coupe is on the show !

kind regards,

John Kox