PDA

View Full Version : Ford FE engine

stu248
10-05-13, 07:25 AM
Hi all.

As the title says, I'm after an FE engine for my Crendon otherwise JK may shout at me!!;)

Cheers

braincol
10-05-13, 07:30 AM
Didn't Mike Huddart have a few a while back ?

stu248
10-05-13, 07:50 AM
Didn't Mike Huddart have a few a while back ?

Cant seem to find his website any longer, is it still business as usual? If so will probably save up over the next few years and ask him to build one for me, always heard good things about his work.

KevinW
10-05-13, 07:53 AM
Have you spoken to JK about the need to mod the engine mounts?
Yours will presumably be for the Cleveland!

- Aaron did have a spare, but might have sold it - I cant remember.

Are you looking to rebuild yourself, or buy turn-key?

I also see you are planning on a toploader - suggest you ask around on that (nothing to do with me) as there maybe a group buy among the Crendonistas being considered/organised for the latter, and might save you a bit on the shipping costs.

KevinW
10-05-13, 07:56 AM
yer right - looks like he's let it go!

hth

Address: Ivy House Longhill Lane Hankelow, Crewe, Cheshire CW3 0JQ
Tel: 01270811427
Fax: 01270812327
huddartengines.co.uk (http://www.huddartengines.co.uk) - webpages dont work!

stu248
10-05-13, 08:02 AM
Have you spoken to JK about the need to mod the engine mounts?
Yours will presumably be for the Cleveland!

- Aaron did have a spare, but might have sold it - I cant remember.

Are you looking to rebuild yourself, or buy turn-key?

I also see you are planning on a toploader - suggest you ask around on that (nothing to do with me) as there maybe a group buy among the Crendonistas being considered/organised for the latter, and might save you a bit on the shipping costs.

Hi Kev, I bought Brett's Crendon roller which is already set up for an FE and Toploader. I've been building a Cleveland for the past 6 months which will probably be either sold or put into another project as I can't see the point in messing with the engine mounts as they are nicely powder coated. I will probably go the turn key option, need to speek to Mike Huddart about prices etc.

As for the Toploader, I already have a nice shiny one sat in the garage waiting for me to make my mind up on what I'll be bolting it to!!

Cheers

Lloyd Barnes
10-05-13, 08:22 AM
Hi Stu.

Mikes just done some machining work and supplied some new parts for my FE. Now no FEs are cheap but I must admit I was very pleasantly surprised by his prices. I know he's working on another FE blck at the mo for one of us Crendonistas.

If you want to keep costs down get a 390 block and stroke it up to 445ci as one option? :-)

stu248
10-05-13, 08:27 AM
Hi Stu.

Mikes just done some machining work and supplied some new parts for my FE. Now no FEs are cheap but I must admit I was very pleasantly surprised by his prices. I know he's working on another FE blck at the mo for one of us Crendonistas.

If you want to keep costs down get a 390 block and stroke it up to 445ci as one option? :-)

Cheers for the info Lloyd, I love all these big numbers being talked about!! I'll find Mikes number and give him a call for a quick chat, he sounds like a busy man (always a good sign!)

Cheers

aaronjb
10-05-13, 08:38 AM
Cheers for the info Lloyd, I love all these big numbers being talked about!!

Trouble is, in this game, the big numbers are often prices.. :lol:

stu248
10-05-13, 09:56 AM
Trouble is, in this game, the big numbers are often prices.. :lol:

But good quality is always worth paying for!!:D

Lloyd Barnes
10-05-13, 02:42 PM
But good quality is always worth paying for!!:D

I've got the top end on mine loosely assembled to check for fit at the moment, and boy they do look the part! Big old beasties as well! :-)

stu248
10-05-13, 03:34 PM
I've got the top end on mine loosely assembled to check for fit at the moment, and boy they do look the part! Big old beasties as well! :-)

Think I'll have to get the missus to lock my wallet away soon!!! The car would look loads better with an engine bay full of big block instead of loads of fresh air floating around a small block!8-)

Neil O
10-05-13, 03:54 PM
Think I'll have to get the missus to lock my wallet away soon!!! The car would look loads better with an engine bay full of big block instead of loads of fresh air floating around a small block!8-)
Yup. Done big block, now Cleveland......:rolleyes:

No.66 will be big block. No contest.

JohnC
10-05-13, 07:11 PM

What! Top end trial fit?!

Pictures man!

JohnC
10-05-13, 07:13 PM
Hi Stu.

The quotes I Have had are very realistic, I need to contact him again actually, think he has been busy recently.

John

v8pete
10-05-13, 07:50 PM
Yup. Done big block, now Cleveland......:rolleyes:

No.66 will be big block. No contest.
Well, I reckon that the 408 stroker Cleveland I'm building should still be pretty entertaining, and good for over 450 hp :) I think that Stu's doing the right thing though, as the car is already setup for the big block in that case.

alex
10-05-13, 10:06 PM
Well, I reckon that the 408 stroker Cleveland I'm building should still be pretty entertaining, and good for over 450 hp :) I think that Stu's doing the right thing though, as the car is already setup for the big block in that case.

I'm sure it will be :) Glad to hear you're sticking to your guns and haven't went over to the dark side! And anyway the Cleveland isn't a small block, it's an "in between" block.

kitcarsareus
11-05-13, 08:03 AM
yer right - looks like he's let it go!

hth

Address: Ivy House Longhill Lane Hankelow, Crewe, Cheshire CW3 0JQ
Tel: 01270811427
Fax: 01270812327
huddartengines.co.uk (http://www.huddartengines.co.uk) - webpages dont work!

Hi Kev Has it gone ? tried to PM Aaron but he didn't get back to me.

cheers

KevinW
11-05-13, 08:17 AM
I thought you might have bought Aaron's 390 block, (or was it another crendon customer?) but I dont actually know!
Im sure he'll be along soon to confirm or other wise.

kitcarsareus
11-05-13, 08:23 AM
I thought you might have bought Aaron's 390 block, (or was it another crendon customer?) but I dont actually know!
Im sure he'll be along soon to confirm or other wise.

OK BTW how is 49 coming along (sorry for the hijack Stu)?

cheers

KevinW
11-05-13, 09:03 AM
...very slowly!
Hoping to spray my sucker fan brackets this w/e and do final assembly on that. Got the controller installed in a nice shiny ali box, as it looks too modern for my liking so needs hiding. JK has also just sent me new header tank adaptor. 'Just' need to connect capillaries, ignition box, install dash and firewall, then i can fire her up.

Adrian427
11-05-13, 07:59 PM
I have some very special FE blocks that are HD with extra webbing in the crank case area. And can be over bored by a considerable amount. Price £1500 each

v8pete
11-05-13, 11:04 PM
I'm sure it will be :) Glad to hear you're sticking to your guns and haven't went over to the dark side! And anyway the Cleveland isn't a small block, it's an "in between" block.
Yep, try doing this with an FE ;) V8 FORD CLEVELAND 351 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1QhNlg3Wq8)

stu248
12-05-13, 03:50 PM
I have some very special FE blocks that are HD with extra webbing in the crank case area. And can be over bored by a considerable amount. Price £1500 each

Not knowing too much about FE's I'm not sure weather it would be a bit much but would be good to find out more, I'll PM my phone number.

Cheers

stu248
12-05-13, 03:52 PM
Yep, try doing this with an FE ;) V8 FORD CLEVELAND 351 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1QhNlg3Wq8)

That would be one way of waking up the neighbours on a Sunday, might give it a go!!

Neil O
12-05-13, 08:07 PM
Did similar with my sideoiler. I was changing the exhaust packing to Acustafil and thought that I might try it without any packing at all for a run out. I still haven't quite got the hearing back in my right ear but it was fun. ;)
Fe Fe Fe.
Stu, if you don't, I'll be giving you a large helping of "Itoldyaso" on a regular basis. ;)

KevinW
12-05-13, 09:46 PM
For full effect, and maximum smugness, insert a large 'J' into the aforementioned.

kitcarsareus
13-05-13, 05:56 AM
Not knowing too much about FE's I'm not sure weather it would be a bit much but would be good to find out more, I'll PM my phone number.

Cheers

Yep Stu

It's a common myth FE stands for Ford Edsel. In actual fact it stands for......

ferkin expensive!!!:shock::shock:;)

stu248
13-05-13, 06:30 AM
Did similar with my sideoiler. I was changing the exhaust packing to Acustafil and thought that I might try it without any packing at all for a run out. I still haven't quite got the hearing back in my right ear but it was fun. ;)
Fe Fe Fe.
Stu, if you don't, I'll be giving you a large helping of "Itoldyaso" on a regular basis. ;)

Probably worth the investment for a quiet life!! Get enough "Itoldyaso's" from the missus :rolleyes: