PDA

View Full Version : How do I wire up a buzzer to indicator circuit

psh
18-06-13, 10:46 AM
Every now and then, the indicators on my AK do not cancel out, and I discover them still flashing a while later. I do intend to take the steering wheel off at some point to see if i can fix this problem , but as a fail safe I want to fit an audible buzzer/beeper to the indicator circuit. I bought myself a small 12v (Klaxon) beeper from the Newark show ,which has two terminals marked up + and -, and was told by the guy who sold it me, to wire it up “in line” with the flasher unit . Is this good advice, can anyone tell me how to properly wire this beeper up , or have i gone and bought the wrong type of unit .

Paul

oglyoodoo
18-06-13, 01:59 PM
Paul

You should find all you need in this thread...

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/general-cobra-discussion/18384-audible-warning-indicators.html

HTH

Denis

steve_h
18-06-13, 07:34 PM
I wired it into the dash indicator light with 2 diodes one on left and right to stop the power running back down the wrong wire and making both sides flash, glued it to the back of the dash,

got mine from cbs came with the diodes and a diagram 100db audible up to motorway speeds then everything is too loud

Murray
18-06-13, 08:35 PM
Not my own diagram but off the web but it seems to make sense.
http://www.nathanielsalzman.com/img/11_30_08/BuzzerWiringDiagram.jpg

Clive
18-06-13, 10:13 PM
... And you think you will be able to hear a buzzer in a Cobra???

cobrascim
18-06-13, 10:40 PM
... And you think you will be able to hear a buzzer in a Cobra???

I can hear mine. Got to remember that when you are slowing to go into a junction you should be able to hear it. Coming out a junction and giving it some welly then maybe not until you lift off a bit.
Mine fitted as stated above with diodes and think it is a great safety feature.
John.

psh
19-06-13, 09:15 AM
The buzzer i have bought seems quite loud, but I will test it to make sure it is loud enough before i go to the trouble of wiring it in .
If it is not loud enough, I will buy the proper kit. Does CBS, stand for Car Builder Solutions?
Funnily enough, the diagram that Murray posted matches the circuit i drew out last night, so thanks for that.
I was quit shocked at the number of times I had not noticed how long the indicator had been on for on the way back from Newark, especially as i had passed quite a few side roads, and could have had someone believe i was turning left and just pulled out in front of me. So to stop this happening again, fitting one has gone to the top of my job list, and agree it is a great safety feature.

Paul

gd427man
19-06-13, 11:11 AM
I have a buzzer fitted to mine.
I have a GD which uses a dash mounted switch for the indicators - 3 position - up middle and down.
Of course this does not self cancel.
My buzzer is simply connected with the +ve of the buzzer to the middle (common) terminal of the switch and the -ve to earth. Stuck it behind the dash.
Simples !
Ian.

TINKA
19-06-13, 12:10 PM
I can't remember exactly how it's done now, I think you use the supply for the lights as an earth which it is until you turn them on:confused: but if you wire it through the side lights or dip beam you can also add the function that the buzzer wont work when the lights are on as then you will see the indication lights on the dash.

steve_h
19-06-13, 01:34 PM
Does CBS, stand for Car Builder Solutions?

YES IT DOES!

mine is wired as above but the live feed is the one to the dash indicator warning light and the earth is the other piece of the wire that I cut into

so thats:-
feed for the indicator warning light each side now going to the live side of the diodes, through to the buzzer, then the buzzer earth goes to the dash warning light wire that I cut, then through the bulb to earth on each side

that way the extra wire behind the dash is kept to a minimum

psh
20-06-13, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all the advice,I will get this job done as soon as i get some free time to coincide with some dry weather :rolleyes:.

Paul

gd427man
20-06-13, 08:35 PM
I remember fixing a buzzer to my motorbike also and just connected a wire to each side indicator in the front fairing, pairing them together and connecting this to the +ve of the buzzer, then just earth the buzzer and job done. No diodes no problem.
I may be able to find the diagram that came with it if you're in doubt.
Cheers
Ian.

gd427man
20-06-13, 08:46 PM
See hear.
Motorcycle indicator warning buzzer , a must have , lifetime warranty | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-indicator-warning-buzzer-a-must-have-lifetime-warranty-/121116383916?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1c33195aac)

The wiring is explained near the bottom.
Cheers
Ian

tonym
20-06-13, 08:54 PM
See hear.
Motorcycle indicator warning buzzer , a must have , lifetime warranty | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-indicator-warning-buzzer-a-must-have-lifetime-warranty-/121116383916?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1c33195aac)

The wiring is explained near the bottom.
Cheers
Ian

Thats a 3 wire buzzer though (same as I have) the one Paul bought has only 2 wires :-P

gd427man
21-06-13, 09:00 AM
Yes but 2 wires go to the +ve of the buzzer and the 3rd is the earth. So he would just need to connect to both the indicators and then connect these wires to the +ve of the buzzer.
Very simple. works fine.
Ian

Murray
21-06-13, 10:03 AM
This guy also advertises the same but which stops buzzing if you brake.
See here, Motorcycle Indicator Warning Buzzer Turn Signal | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121121674954?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649)
Not sure if that would work on a Cobra, I don't quite understand his principle.

tonym
21-06-13, 11:16 AM
Yes but 2 wires go to the +ve of the buzzer and the 3rd is the earth. So he would just need to connect to both the indicators and then connect these wires to the +ve of the buzzer.
Very simple. works fine.
Ian

Surely doing that would mean that when one indicator was on all lights would flash as you've just connected them together???

gd427man
21-06-13, 11:33 AM
I think the switch creates the path for the current to flow to earth and as you are only switching one side on, only one side lights up.
I just followed the instructions and it works.
Cheers.
Ian

tonym
21-06-13, 04:22 PM
It will work for yours but as I said, Paul only has the 2 wire buzzer not a 3 wire one :-)

cobracol
22-06-13, 08:13 AM
i wired my small two wire buzzer up by simply joining to the two wires going into the indicator relay socket, dead easy and no issues, you dont want the buzzer too loud or you will find it annoying rather than helpful

steve_h
22-06-13, 01:56 PM
i wired my small two wire buzzer up by simply joining to the two wires going into the indicator relay socket, dead easy and no issues, you dont want the buzzer too loud or you will find it annoying rather than helpful

THIS ONES QUITE LOUD!
12V Leaded Piezo Indicator : Buzzers & Sounders : Maplin Electronics (http://www.maplin.co.uk/12v-leaded-piezo-indicator-98111#specification)