PDA

View Full Version : Throttle returns

griff
21-07-13, 09:57 PM
I'm running a Chevy with twin mr gasket return springs in my Dax. Throttle now and then sticks at 1500 to 2000 rpm. That is bloody scary!! What does everyone else run?? Thanks :-)

TINKA
22-07-13, 12:11 AM
I'm running a Chevy with twin mr gasket return springs in my Dax. Throttle now and then sticks at 1500 to 2000 rpm. That is bloody scary!! What does everyone else run?? Thanks :-)

2 springs is plenty you need to find out why and what is sticking, cable, carb, pedal, or a bit of each.

MattS6
22-07-13, 07:05 AM
2 springs is plenty you need to find out why and what is sticking, cable, carb, pedal, or a bit of each.

Exactly what Martin says. I have 2 springs (same ones) and they are plenty.

griff
22-07-13, 08:49 AM
Thanks. I'll have a look see if anything is sticking. Might start by oiling it all.

Paul B
22-07-13, 12:54 PM
Be careful NOT to oil the cable though. Many of the liners within the outer sheath, will swell when they come into contact with light oils such as 3 in 1 etc. This then traps the cable even more (don't ask how I found out !!).

Neil O
22-07-13, 02:34 PM
Could be the pedal not having quite enough slack.
Disconnect the cable and springs and see if it sticks at all.

JayKay
22-07-13, 08:20 PM
Griff, Make sure that the indentation in the underside of the air cleaner body (if there is one) is positioned correctly above the throttle lever. The lever can sometimes catch the air cleaner body. Had the same issue on my car and that was the simple solution. John K

chillidoggy
23-07-13, 07:13 AM
Given the carb already has a return spring built in to both spindles, and there are two more external, that must be some serious binding somewhere! Process of elimination. start disconnecting at one end, and keep going until you find it!

griff
23-07-13, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll start with the pedal box as its a Dax item and it is welded so might be catching. Ill check the clearance. Cheers.

griff
01-08-13, 10:25 PM
After looking. I've found the bracket on the back of the carb isn't putting the springs under tension near idle! I'm running a performer rpm so ordered new springs and there is a threaded hole near the carb so hopefully problems solved! Thanks guys!!

Eggbert
02-08-13, 02:13 AM
I had some trouble with my twin Holleys. The pic below doesn't explain much at first glance, but if you look closely you can see the extra springs and aluminum arms I put on the throttle shafts (opposite side of normal linkage) to help the return. Not too much as the throttle shafts are thin and you don't want them to break due to too much tension and a lot of fatique after countless on-off throttle encounters.

The larger middle spring (in the middle) can be preloaded for more return action by moving the clamp along the throttle rod.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/EggbertPhotos/DualCarbMod/OrgVacCover.jpg

griff
02-08-13, 09:10 AM
That's a good idea might make mine adjustable :-). Thanks