PDA

View Full Version : Knock-on wheel safety clips - interested?

KevinW
01-08-13, 09:54 AM
Anyone interested?
see my post here....
Interested in adapter/spinner retainer clips?? - Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/121630-interested-adapter-spinner-retainer-clips.html)

Neil O
01-08-13, 10:23 AM
Count me in Kev.

dingocooke
01-08-13, 10:29 AM
Hi Kevin,

Not sure I see the point, you still have to lock wire the spinners, because the R clips wont get close enough to stop loosening, and you need to drill 2 more 1/8" holes in the theaded portion of the k/o hub (the weakest part) to get an R clip in, as well as a hole to get the split pin into the axle to retain the bearings, and its 2 holes to allow water ingress into the bearings??

But for me, the biggest shock; nay horror, was you, the crown prince of originailty recomending such a modern contrivance!!!!!!! ;-) :-) :-D

FatBoy
01-08-13, 01:32 PM
I've never used lock wire on my spinners and I've never (touch wood) had a problem with a spinner coming loose.

I have four of these clip devices from my Contemporary that anyone is welcome to have if they want them. Kev has the same ones fitted to his Contemporary I believe.

Steve, there isn't any load on the outer portion of the threaded hub, so a couple of small holes aren't going to cause any problems. And as for water ingress, if you're being completely "original", the insides are open to the elements anyway because they didn't have end caps fitted on S/C Cobras. ;)

Paul

dingocooke
01-08-13, 02:05 PM
So what youre saying is, we need rusty bearings to be period correct ;-)

KevinW
01-08-13, 02:52 PM
Hi Kevin,

Not sure I see the point, you still have to lock wire the spinners, because the R clips wont get close enough to stop loosening, and you need to drill 2 more 1/8" holes in the theaded portion of the k/o hub (the weakest part) to get an R clip in, as well as a hole to get the split pin into the axle to retain the bearings, and its 2 holes to allow water ingress into the bearings??

But for me, the biggest shock; nay horror, was you, the crown prince of originailty recomending such a modern contrivance!!!!!!! ;-) :-) :-D

yep I know they arent original, Im just feeling a bit nervous of knock-ons (whenever I actually get them fitted). - these seemed like a fairly inconspicuous comfort blanket. Agree with what Paul says, and im not sure the safety wire is really going to save your spinner/wheel imho, i think SW just tells you if you've had movement - no other easy way to tell.

Bigblock
01-08-13, 03:10 PM
yep I know they arent original, Im just feeling a bit nervous of knock-ons (whenever I actually get them fitted). - these seemed like a fairly inconspicuous comfort blanket. Agree with what Paul says, and im not sure the safety wire is really going to save your spinner/wheel imho, i think SW just tells you if you've had movement - no other easy way to tell.

Kev

Just get on with it, they will be fine. I tweak mine every time I go out, ping the wire, call it what you want, I am still a little twitchy at times.
Not only that unless you brake like crazy or spend most of your time in reverse then the spinners should self tighten.
Wait till you have to get one of the bu&&ers off, you will know then why they are not going to come undone.

And there was my lad hoping to see you at Uni in Oct in yours, guess it will only be me then down there.
See you at SSP for a shandy one eve ? You can check out my wire retainer ;-)

David

dingocooke
01-08-13, 03:19 PM
If you use a good heavy guage lockwire, you will be surprisd at the load it can hold. As David says, getting them undone can be a bu&&er! Thousands of MGB's, E Types, Lotus Elans etc etc had k/o's for years no lock wire or anything, but if the clip makes you happier thats cool!!

bigblock427
01-08-13, 05:39 PM
I had a nice set of these clips in chrome that held the end caps in place. As has already been said they would not be close enough to stop the spinner from moving but they will prevent the spinner from coming off completely and the wheel falling off.

I have experienced a front spinner coming loose at speed (not properly tightened) and it was immediately noticeable due to the vibration. The R clip prevented the spinner moving to far down the spindle and I was able to bring the Cobra to a controlled stop. Without the R clip there is every chance the spinner and then the wheel could have parted company with the car making a controlled stop a bit more difficult !!! I would say that they are more convenient to use than lockwire and give you that extra piece of mind that the spinner and wheel will stay on the spindle if it does come loose. I would definetly use one or the other ( or both if you are really worried).

FatBoy
01-08-13, 08:15 PM
So what youre saying is, we need rusty bearings to be period correct ;-)

If they're properly greased there shouldn't be a problem. :)

aaronjb
02-08-13, 10:57 PM
Put me down, Kev..

FatBoy
03-08-13, 06:44 AM
Nobody want a free set?

Paul