PDA

View Full Version : FE header tank type

kitcarsareus
20-08-13, 07:11 PM
Guys

Is this the right one for No 68?

Ford Mercury 352 390 FE Expansion Tank Reservoir Cobra | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mercury-352-390-FE-Expansion-Tank-Reservoir-Cobra-/271260209834?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f285e52aa)

cheers

legend
20-08-13, 07:41 PM
Hi Guys, that one has the outlet to the drivers side which is different to mine
I would check with JK, also I'm sure they are still available new on the other side of the pond
HTH Tony

aaronjb
20-08-13, 07:43 PM
I believe so but it's back to front - you'll have to get the inlet unsoldered and soldered back on facing the other way (true of all original FE header tanks, as far as I know).. It's also missing what it calls the 'strengthening bracket' that strings the inlet to the body; not sure how that would affect it structurally or if most remove that (I'd expect it to make it more prone to stress fracturing where the inlet joins the body?)..

dingocooke
20-08-13, 08:02 PM
Finish line do the kits for 300 USD thats a bout £300 by the time you have it here, Guessford http://www.gessford.com/cobraparts/images/Tank23.jpg do a stainless tank, theres one on my Crendon, but I am not sure if they still sell them? Gotta be the ultimat fix. Kirkham also do a billet one but its got their logo on which is not my scene.
If you get an original tank, you have to buy it, strip it, assemble it the way round you need it, get it repaired and the dents out, pressure tested, powder coated and then make the wedge piece to stop it hitting the bonnet onyour crendon, i reckon you will spend maybe £120 on top of buying the ebay tank if you get a radistor repairer to do it then powder coated?? if you buy a kit from finish line you still have to assemble it, but you can shorten it easily so you dont need the spacer. The one on your link doesnt have the stiffener so it will fail in no time, or you can make your own stiffener up

kitcarsareus
20-08-13, 08:06 PM
Thanks Guys

Tony I've had a look on JK's gallery and I see what you mean.

Aaron I see what you mean as well, you can see the spots on the second pic where the bracket has been removed.

Had a look at Finish line and it looks like you have to build up the tank to suit your own application.

cheers

kitcarsareus
20-08-13, 08:09 PM
Finish line do the kits for 300 USD thats a bout £300 by the time you have it here, Guessford http://www.gessford.com/cobraparts/images/Tank23.jpg do a stainless tank, theres one on my Crendon, but I am not sure if they still sell them? Gotta be the ultimat fix. Kirkham also do a billet one but its got their logo on which is not my scene.
If you get an original tank, you have to buy it, strip it, assemble it the way round you need it, get it repaired and the dents out, pressure tested, powder coated and then make the wedge piece to stop it hitting the bonnet onyour crendon, i reckon you will spend maybe £120 on top of buying the ebay tank if you get a radistor repairer to do it then powder coated?? if you buy a kit from finish line you still have to assemble it, but you can shorten it easily so you dont need the spacer. The one on your link doesnt have the stiffener so it will fail in no time, or you can make your own stiffener up

Thanks Steve and well done with the sale.

Neil O
21-08-13, 05:53 AM
Gessford do one that is 3/4" shallower for all the Cobras in the US that have the same clearance issue.

I'm not sure if they sell them without an engine though. ;)

kdavies3
21-08-13, 09:30 AM
Mine was an original Galaxie tank.
I had to reverse it and lower it by an inch.
If you can solder with a good torch it's not as difficult as you might think.
I still have a microscopic hole to fix in mine, while it's off due to the other issues. :(
The one on eBay seems to be missing the support bracket.

kitcarsareus
21-08-13, 06:51 PM
Mine was an original Galaxie tank.
I had to reverse it and lower it by an inch.
If you can solder with a good torch it's not as difficult as you might think.
I still have a microscopic hole to fix in mine, while it's off due to the other issues. :(
The one on eBay seems to be missing the support bracket.

Thanks Kev and commiserations

I've found if you put in surge tank a few more pop up, needless to say all the wrong way round.

I'll keep surfin'

cheers

Ian 46
21-08-13, 10:14 PM
Please see my header tank on a Southern Automotive engine with the strengthening brackets mentioned. The tank on ebay doesn't have these and will probably vibrate itself to destruction.

Regards Ian

dingocooke
22-08-13, 12:47 PM
If youre not in a blinding hurry I think I still have a complete spare un modified galaxy tank in my cobra spares dept :-) Lloyd had my other one; Ill have a look for it at some point. You can have it for what i paid for it from ebay a few years back

kitcarsareus
22-08-13, 03:46 PM
If youre not in a blinding hurry I think I still have a complete spare un modified galaxy tank in my cobra spares dept :-) Lloyd had my other one; Ill have a look for it at some point. You can have it for what i paid for it from ebay a few years back

Sounds like a plan, drop me a PM with a price.

cheers