PDA

View Full Version : Dax Cobra V8 in Hong Kong for sale

hkcobra427
03-09-13, 03:27 AM
Dax Tojeiro 427 Cobra V8 5000 CC
1970 registration AC Cobra continuation built by Dax cars in 2005 to their most perfect standards.
Purchase date 8/12/2005 export to Hong Kong with only 598 miles.
"Idea for export due to date of first registration in 1970." for classic car.
The Cobra never register in Hong Kong.
V8 5000 CC full Edelbrock performance tunning with 5 speed gearbox.
Exterior Colour : Blue with Shelby white stripes.
Interior Trim : Blue Leather and blue carpets.
Global logistics arranged
Asking : GBP£39,995

kdavies3
03-09-13, 07:26 AM
The car would need to be IVA'd in the UK, unless it was SVA'd and registered prior to shipping to HK.
Was the car ever registered in the UK?
As it hasn't been registered in HK you may get lucky and not need to re-do it.

hkcobra427
03-09-13, 01:40 PM
Hi Kev
The Cobra from a dealer in UK with all GB Certificate of export documents.
First registration date : 13/02/1970 but the Cobra made and export in 2005.
The dealer say it suppose easier to tax and register in Hong Kong.
The tax in here has more than double the car. I kept it display for years and it's time to let go.

garyjettrike
03-09-13, 05:42 PM
Dax Tojeiro 427 Cobra V8 5000 CC
1970 registration AC Cobra continuation (built by Dax cars in 2005 to their most perfect standards.)
Purchase date 8/12/2005 export to Hong Kong with only 598 miles.
"Idea for export due to date of first registration in 1970." for classic car.
The Cobra never register in Hong Kong.
V8 5000 CC full Edelbrock performance tunning with 5 speed gearbox.
Exterior Colour : Blue with Shelby white stripes.
Interior Trim : Blue Leather and blue carpets.
Global logistics arranged
Asking : GBP£39,995

I have worked for Dax for 30 years and been ivolved in every cobra built by Dax and this car was never built by Dax

hkcobra427
06-09-13, 12:56 PM
Dear All
To clear the doubted.
Here is the purchasing invoice from Sovereign Cars UK.

dave
06-09-13, 02:02 PM
Popcorn time!!!

chesterak
06-09-13, 02:29 PM
All the cheap seats at the back are taken up....

Dutch Paul
06-09-13, 02:36 PM
Is this gonna be in 3D?

ashtrowe
06-09-13, 06:55 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but nowhere on that invoice does it state it was built by Dax , sovereign cars just sold it on as a pre built and registered car after carrying out some mods.....

Age stated as 1970 is a bit naughty.

dave
06-09-13, 07:13 PM
You have the first bit right Ashtrow.
That's what Gary was implying.
Thr 1970 thing might not be a problem as the DVLA often used to put whatever they felt like in the year of manufacture box.
There is another issue though.......

garyjettrike
06-09-13, 07:22 PM
Dear All
To clear the doubted.
Here is the purchasing invoice from Sovereign Cars UK.
Dear whatever you name is the way I read it is that Sovereign Cars UK.assembled and supplied a dax tojero as I said before that was never built by Dax .

ashtrowe
06-09-13, 08:15 PM
You have the first bit right Ashtrow.
That's what Gary was implying.

Yes that's what I thought.

Thr 1970 thing might not be a problem as the DVLA often used to put whatever they felt like in the year of manufacture box.

Makes a bit of a mockery of the registration process if that's the case.

There is another issue though.......

Chassis number doesn't look like a typical Dax format?

garyjettrike
07-09-13, 01:44 AM
[QUOTE=

Chassis number doesn't look like a typical Dax format?[/QUOTE]

I hadn't spotted that its definitely not a Dax chassis number and posibly on a Jag log book and not been SVA /IVA tested

KeithA
07-09-13, 07:26 AM
Also states that no VAT has been paid, does this mean if imported to the UK new owner will have to pay this as well?:confused:

slogger
07-09-13, 03:22 PM
Yes that's what I thought.

Makes a bit of a mockery of the registration process if that's the case.

Chassis number doesn't look like a typical Dax format?

Hey lets save a thought for us guys with older cars who may be trying to sell!!!

Yes, the information on this car is misrepresented and needs to be corrected, but not all cars have been registered to the current rules and this type of post causes all sorts of problems with the older cars that make up our ranks.

The chassis number is a British Leyland Jaguar format. Gary I thought you would have noticed that.
Agreed at 2005 this car would carry a Dax number but the DVLA may have chosen to use the donor for what ever reason. Just to point out that my early MK4 does not have a Dax chassis number anywhere but does carry the Jaguar number stamped on the front cross member and carries the original Jaguar data plate. In addition I have a Dax body ID plate along side this.

Don't forget with the old age related rules, the donor parts could have been enough to obtain a date of first reg or manufacture of the donor, mine is 1974.

So I would say the advertised car does have some issues with representation but not all in the context you guys have taken them.
I'm so glad I'm not trying to sell mine at this point because this thread would have made it unsaleable. What I'm trying to say is, Get an f...ing grip!

Thank you.
Soap box kicked back under the stairs.

Lets enjoy our hobby!!!

ashtrowe
07-09-13, 04:30 PM
Yes, the information on this car is misrepresented and needs to be corrected, but not all cars have been registered to the current rules and this type of post causes all sorts of problems with the older cars that make up our ranks.

But surely older cars should still be correctly registered, there was an amnesty Around the time the SVA was introduced to correctly register any older cars still using their old doner logbooks and reg numbers, however this doesn't apply to this car as its a post SVA car and from what has been said was SVA'd.

Ive build 2 previous cars (Dax rushes) and the first was a 1997 chassis and SVA'd in 2000, it had a proper Dax format chassis number and an age related registration, the date on the log book said 1990 from the doner, so agree the 1970 bit is nothing to be concerned with, however i'm very surprised that a Dax of the this age (2005) didn't t have a Dax format chassis number, unless its an early car (I.e. chassis not manufactured in 2005 but much earlier) that was not finished until 2005 and has been stamped up like yours, which again as you say may not be anything to be concerned with.

This car may well be absolutely genuine, its just the paperwork raises questions which need answers, these questions should be easily answered by contacting both DAX and Soverign for clarification of the cars origins, so any prospective buyers can be reassured It is what it is.

If I was selling a car at this sort of value, I would expect the buyer to ask lots of questions and to want to check that all the paperwork was in order, especially as its in another country.

Dont know what your worrying about really so long as you know your car is registered correctly and has all the paperwork to back it up.

garyjettrike
07-09-13, 04:35 PM
Hey lets save a thought for us guys with older cars who may be trying to sell!!!

The chassis number is a British Leyland Jaguar format. Gary I thought you would have noticed that.
Agreed at 2005 this car would carry a Dax number but the DVLA may have chosen to use the donor for what ever reason. Just to point out that my early MK4 does not have a Dax chassis number anywhere but does carry the Jaguar number stamped on the front cross member and carries the original Jaguar data plate. In addition I have a Dax body ID plate along side this.

Don't forget with the old age related rules, the donor parts could have been enough to obtain a date of first reg or manufacture of the donor, mine is 1974.

So I would say the advertised car does have some issues with representation but not all in the context you guys have taken them.
I'm so glad I'm not trying to sell mine at this point because this thread would have made it unsaleable. What I'm trying to say is, Get an f...ing grip!

Thank you.
Soap box kicked back under the stairs.

Lets enjoy our hobby!!!
sorry Ian didn't mean to upset you but I don't like seeing people robed of there hard earned money when buying a dodgy motor ,
and its not the first time iv herd someone lie about a car being built by dax to inflate the price ,
and its not an old car the invoice says 2005

slogger
07-09-13, 04:53 PM
sorry Ian didn't mean to upset you but I don't like seeing people robed of there hard earned money when buying a dodgy motor ,
and its not the first time iv herd someone lie about a car being built by dax to inflate the price ,
and its not an old car the invoice says 2005

Not upset m8 and I agree with you. It's when the self proclaimed 'experts' kick off who forget that this industry has been around for a lifetime and way before they thought of picking up a spanner and having ago.
The rules change all the time and all ours cars are subject to small variations in the interpretation of those rules.

Yes, this forum should route out those who misrepresent to gain a sale, but in doing this must understand that the rules have changed over the years and generic comments from the misinformed should be avoided.

slogger
07-09-13, 05:19 PM
But surely older cars should still be correctly registered, there was an amnesty Around the time the SVA was introduced to correctly register any older cars still using their old doner logbooks and reg numbers, however this doesn't apply to this car as its a post SVA car and from what has been said was SVA'd.

Ive build 2 previous cars (Dax rushes) and the first was a 1997 chassis and SVA'd in 2000, it had a proper Dax format chassis number and an age related registration, the date on the log book said 1990 from the doner, so agree the 1970 bit is nothing to be concerned with, however i'm very surprised that a Dax of the this age (2005) didn't t have a Dax format chassis number, unless its an early car (I.e. chassis not manufactured in 2005 but much earlier) that was not finished until 2005 and has been stamped up like yours, which again as you say may not be anything to be concerned with.

This car may well be absolutely genuine, its just the paperwork raises questions which need answers, these questions should be easily answered by contacting both DAX and Soverign for clarification of the cars origins, so any prospective buyers can be reassured It is what it is.

If I was selling a car at this sort of value, I would expect the buyer to ask lots of questions and to want to check that all the paperwork was in order, especially as its in another country.

Dont know what your worrying about really so long as you know your car is registered correctly and has all the paperwork to back it up.

Hahaha, see you have done it again!!!! We are dealing with Uk rules and regs and interpretaion. Correctly registered!! Define correctly registered. Mine is correctly registered as far as the DVLA were conserned and they would not change my V5. The VRO and DVLA, at the time, could not give anymore guidance apart from, ' The V5 must carry and accurate description of the motor vehicle it refurres to.' So how many cars are truely registered correctly?

I applied under the amnesty for a change but the car was registered off road or SORN as is these days. V5 returned unchanged.

I have a Jaguar Dax Tojeiro and so be it.

ashtrowe
07-09-13, 06:01 PM
Hahaha, see you have done it again!!!! We are dealing with Uk rules and regs and interpretaion. Correctly registered!! Define correctly registered. Mine is correctly registered as far as the DVLA were conserned and they would not change my V5. The VRO and DVLA, at the time, could not give anymore guidance apart from, ' The V5 must carry and accurate description of the motor vehicle it refurres to.' So how many cars are truely registered correctly?

I applied under the amnesty for a change but the car was registered off road or SORN as is these days. V5 returned unchanged.

I have a Jaguar Dax Tojeiro and so be it.

??? Sorry if I've said something that's upset you ???

When I refer to being incorrectly registered I mean cars that used their donors logbook without changing any details, ie still registered as a jaguar xj / ford cortina etc... Using the original reg number, which is what my understanding the amnesty was for.

If I'm wrong then I stand corrected.

stu e
07-09-13, 07:27 PM

When I refer to being incorrectly registered I mean cars that used their donors logbook without changing any details, ie still registered as a jaguar xj / ford cortina etc... Using the original reg number, which is what my understanding the amnesty was for.

I registered my car with the donor chassis and reg number and made use of the pre SVA amnesty.
I now have a correctly registered car with the donor chassis and reg number, DVLA were happy just to change the description on the V5, Not sure if Pilgrim actually supplied a chassis number, but the rules for getting an age related registration were very different in those days.

slogger
07-09-13, 08:32 PM

Hey, I'm not upset at all.

My Dax is built from a 1974 XJ6 in 1989/90 so is an early Mk4.
It has the XJ6 number plate. XPD***N
It is the same colour as the original Jaguar.
Carries the XJ6 chassis No. 2T****BW
V5 make, 'Jaguar Dax Tojeiro'
Body type, 'Sports'
Wheelplan, '2 axle rigid body'

So there you go. DVLA say correctly registered but right in the middle of your criteria for incorrectly registered.

Anybody wanting to bye my Cob would be put off by your post and others on here. I don't have a problem but it is about time some people look at the broader picture.

No offence intended or taken, but one day somebody will seek compensation for the loss of a sale due to these sort of comments.:D

ashtrowe
07-09-13, 10:00 PM
Well there you go, learn something new every day!

First time I have seen a Dax cobra using a jag identity, I was under the impression (wrongly then) that the DVLA issued a 'new identity' during the amnesty, as the marque of kitcar with its own different reg number, as is done now, to stop people side stepping the SVA.

garyjettrike
08-09-13, 10:22 PM
so what we are saying is old kits don't always have the right information in the log book but there is nothing wrong with this so all that needs to be on another thread because this car was built in 2005 and should definitely have a dax chassis number and be in the log book as a dax tojero or similar, any way I would buy this one its virtually the same car but £20.000 cheaper with that saving who needs a guarantee

FANTASTIC DAX 427 TOJEIRO COBRA, CHEVY V8 ENGINE | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FANTASTIC-DAX-427-TOJEIRO-COBRA-CHEVY-V8-ENGINE-/181197037266?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a302f5ed2#ht_1117wt_1014)

slogger
08-09-13, 10:42 PM
so what we are saying is old kits don't always have the right information in the log book but there is nothing wrong with this so all that needs to be on another thread because this car was built in 2005 and should definitely have a dax chassis number and be in the log book as a dax tojero or similar, any way I would buy this one its virtually the same car but £20.000 cheaper with that saving who needs a guarantee

FANTASTIC DAX 427 TOJEIRO COBRA, CHEVY V8 ENGINE | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FANTASTIC-DAX-427-TOJEIRO-COBRA-CHEVY-V8-ENGINE-/181197037266?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a302f5ed2#ht_1117wt_1014)

Gary m8, a lot of the newer cars have incorrect info on the V5 also. How many are registered as a Cobra?

Defo the 2005 car from the OP has something that needs investigation.

garyjettrike
08-09-13, 11:15 PM
Ian m8 all iam trying to do is stop some poor sod wasting his money buying a hole pile of trouble when there are much cheaper and nicer built cars out there with proper paperwork
if this car has got proper reg documents hkcobra427 should stand up for him self and tell us so but he has not.

oiler0
09-09-13, 07:48 AM
i must say after nearly thirty years i have been around cobra
it has all way amused me big time why some much is made of the of the registration of kit cars and cobra,

my take on the issue is as long as the car has a number plate / mot /tax / insurance
does it really mater what age on the cars registration document ,,,i think not
as long as engine number and a chassis plate can be matched up.

in the 70s / 80s things was very deferant when it came to car log books and registration
but it does not in any way make the cars incorrectly registered in IMHO or a bad car

Well there you go, learn something new every day!

First time I have seen a Dax cobra using a jag identity, I was under the impression (wrongly then) that the DVLA issued a 'new identity' during the amnesty, as the marque of kitcar with its own different reg number, as is done now, to stop people side stepping the SVA.

BenBaron
09-09-13, 01:29 PM

Nah - I'd go for this one http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/otr-cars-sale/48090-dax-cobra.html ;)

simon
15-01-14, 12:43 PM
does it really mater what age on the cars registration document ,,,i think not

Not right up until the moment the owner is involved in an accident ending in a fatality. Then just see how fast the insurance company backpedals!
Anyone willing to take this risk is simply nuts!
(JMHO)
Simon

cobracol
16-01-14, 02:38 PM
If the correct information is supplied to the insurers, and it is taxed and tested, under what guise could insurance "backpedal"?

simon
16-01-14, 04:36 PM
I don't know, but as insurance companies will try every possible avenue to wriggle out of some claims, I certainly wouldn't want to be the first to put it to the test......would you?

Simon

cobracol
16-01-14, 06:30 PM
no its not for me anyway, but you have to assume that insurance companies will honour their commitments, otherwise what is the point in having it, if that were the case, there would be many rejected claims because our cars were not as tested (IVAed), and I suspect very few of our cars are "as tested", also as this is such close informed community, the word would quickly spread, and the company involved wouldn't last long

kmn5
20-05-18, 01:27 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread
Just curious, did the OP ever sell this car?