PDA

View Full Version : Finally took the FE plunge!

stu248
09-09-13, 03:19 PM
Finally bought a 390FE, it was a runner, removed from a Mustang in May and dry stored since then so hopefully wont be too bad inside! The 4v heads have been removed to show flat top pistons which make it a high compression engine. Now to see how much cash I can go through doing the thing up:cry: anyone want to buy a Cleveland?!!!!

Lloyd Barnes
09-09-13, 03:31 PM
best be changing your signature line then :-D Nice one

stu248
09-09-13, 03:41 PM
best be changing your signature line then :-D Nice one

Oh yeah I forgot about that! I might wait till i get it into the garage, got to pick it up from Chelmsford in the next few weeks and don't want to jinx anything!

kdavies3
09-09-13, 04:02 PM
Well done Stu.
Will it get stroked?

KevinW
09-09-13, 04:30 PM
I suggest going the Shropshire Barnes' route!

Elanore427
09-09-13, 04:31 PM
Stroke the hell out of it! You going to add throttle bodies?...

stu248
09-09-13, 04:34 PM
Well done Stu.
Will it get stroked?

Spoke to JK earlier and he suggested going that route, honestly I just want to get it home and stripped to check I haven't bought a duffer! But the stroked option does sound very tempting ;)

stu248
09-09-13, 04:38 PM
I suggest going the Shropshire Barnes' route!

Would be nice to be able to say it has a 427 in it!

Neil O
09-09-13, 04:40 PM
Stroke it. You know you want to. ;)

If you don't......you'll always wonder.....:)

braincol
09-09-13, 04:47 PM
Just a thought from an old-timer - if you fit a longer stroke crankshaft, does it significantly increase the compression ratio as well as increasing the capacity ?

Brian

stu248
09-09-13, 04:51 PM
Stroke it. You know you want to. ;)

If you don't......you'll always wonder.....:)

Thats just evil!

kitcarsareus
09-09-13, 05:27 PM
Nice one Stu

We were keeping an eye on that one as well but at the time ours came up it was sitting at double that price.

cheers

stu248
09-09-13, 05:36 PM
Nice one Stu

We were keeping an eye on that one as well but at the time ours came up it was sitting at double that price.

cheers

The guy is moving house soon so needs to clear his garage out, he said he had it on evilbay for 750ish but dropped it down to 475 for a quick sale. I was a bit dubious at first until I spoke to him, seems like a really nice fella and mad into his mustangs so should be quite a bit of eye candy to drool over when I go down to pick it up!:D

kitcarsareus
09-09-13, 05:46 PM
Yeah Stu

We got our Holleys and manifold off him.

He seems OK

He has actually got a toploader as well but it's a three speed mores the pity

cheers

kdavies3
09-09-13, 06:23 PM
Just a thought from an old-timer - if you fit a longer stroke crankshaft, does it significantly increase the compression ratio as well as increasing the capacity ?

Brian

Hi Brian, in a word no it doesn't have too increase the CR as you fit shorter pistons and rods so the CR can remain the same if you want it to.

mike huddart
09-09-13, 06:40 PM
Hi Brian, in a word no it doesn't have too increase the CR as you fit shorter pistons and rods so the CR can remain the same if you want it to.

WHAT ?

Mike

kdavies3
09-09-13, 07:17 PM
OK Mike I may not have worded that very well!
I was just in simple terms trying to explain how stroking works.
Longer throw on the crank, means you need a shorter con rod so the piston doesn't go crashing into the head at the top of the stroke.
Simples! :p
Of course you are now compressing a larger swept volume.

Clarkson
09-09-13, 07:29 PM
Longer throw on the crank, means you need a shorter con rod so the piston doesn't go crashing into the head at the top of the stroke.

You can use a longer stroked crank and a longer rod with a short skirt piston like I do in chevs.

mike huddart
09-09-13, 07:45 PM

This is getting worse, longer stroke + shorter rod = violent and usually terminal contact between piston and crank.

Think long rod + short compression hieght = everything fitting in the hole....and staying there !

Mike

Purple AK
09-09-13, 08:43 PM
This might help :-) Stroker Motors Basics and Theory - FordMuscle (http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/09/stroker/)