PDA

View Full Version : Hello and Budget Planner?

Mwalker56
16-09-13, 08:28 AM
Hi all,
so, after years of pining for (IMHO) the best looking classic car ever made, I have finally decide to take the plunge and build a replica. Very excited doesn't come close.

i'm planning on building an AK 427 (rolling chassis) with a modified LS3 engine from British American Engines. I have a budget of 25-30k which should get me most of the way, but I was wondering if anyone has a budget planner/spreadsheet of all of the main bits that I will need to buy to go from rolling chassis to complete the build (I like to plan these things!)

Now all I need to do is sell the TTS...

Looking forward to drawing on your collective experience in the future.

Mike

Lloyd Barnes
16-09-13, 08:56 AM
Welcome to the forum Mike. Id be surprised if Jon at AK wouldnt have one? If not for sure an AK builder on here will. Your budget sounds about right unless you go daft with the various choices you can make.

Once you get going, also worth joining the actual club as the magazine is a cracking good read (the forum and club aren't related, long story). Link here Home (http://www.ukcobraclub.co.uk/)

Your cobra will open your eyes a little more than the Audi when you hit the loud pedal! Hope you enjoy the build :razz:

cobracol
16-09-13, 09:52 AM
Hello and welcome to the forums Mike, Exciting times ahead indeed!, and of course I cant fault your choice of manufacturer!;), Sorry cant help much with the planning stage, as my budget went out of the window within the first few weeks! lol, I do however have a MS works document spreadsheet that covers almost everything I spent on mine up to the SVA, but I started my build back in 2004 and mine is a Gen 1, I assume you are going for the Gen 2, plus as you are buying the rolling chassis most of it wouldn't apply, there are many recent/current AK builders at the moment that will probably be of more help to you, also the CD build manual has loads of build pics you will find interesting and helpful, and in case you haven't seen it Tommy has a great build Blog going on: Building an AK 427 Cobra (http://tommysak427.blogspot.co.uk/) Regards Col

KevinW
16-09-13, 10:58 AM
Not exactly a spreadsheet, but might be useful

Build Cost : Crendon Replicas (http://www.crendonreplicas.com/buildcost.html)

Roger Shackleton
16-09-13, 11:15 AM
Hi & Welcome.
I think you want a top notch finished car will need nearerthe 40k mark if you go the LS route with a painted body. My AK with SBC 383with carb built by Jez at ‘Custom Power’ is almost complete with only theinterior to do. It stands me at 30k, the interior will be another 2k from AK. Idid all the work myself including the chassis, my paint job was cheap at 3k(should be nearer 5k) only because my friend has his own body shop and I didall the prep work.
Yes you can build a bit less dependant your own ability Iunderstand ‘Big Tone’ did his for a lot less, but he built his own engine andmade his own side pipes etc.
Good luck with your build.

Rog

BobMin
16-09-13, 12:41 PM
Hi Mike,

I did knock up a spreadsheet detailing all of the AK supplied parts that i was going to use. It would be a good starting point for you.
I'll stick a copy up when I get home tonight.

Turbycat
16-09-13, 02:00 PM
Hi Mike,

and welcome to the forum from another AK owner. I can't help you with build costs as I got mine factory built. I'm sure Jon at AK has got a full price list of parts required.

Andy

Neil O
16-09-13, 02:54 PM
Budget, shmudgit....

Obviously whatever budget you come up with you will exceed.
It is just a question of by how much. :D

Personally I think that budgets are for fools.
You cannot possibly keep a budget secure and hidden from your wife so best not have anything written down or held digitally.
Keep it all in your head. ;)

Remember the first rule of Cobra building......we don't talk about budgets in public. :neutral:

seph
16-09-13, 03:16 PM
Welcome Mike,

I doubt very much you will do an LS3 powered AK for your budget, more like 35k if you are careful, I would say nearer 40k. Mine is a gen1, with a chevy 383 stroker and is not painted yet and that owes me at least 27k at the minute. Prices have gone up too, since I started my build back in 2009.

Paul

Mwalker56
16-09-13, 06:09 PM
Budget, shmudgit....

You cannot possibly keep a budget secure and hidden from your wife so best not have anything written down or held digitally.

Remember the first rule of Cobra building......we don't talk about budgets in public. :neutral:

hahaha, noted! I suppose I should call it more of a "guideline" than a budget, one with +/- 50% accuracy, depending on what shiny accessory I see next.

I have received the pack of info from Jon, but haven't had time to check out the CD yet due to work and holiday commitments. I will be sure to check it out thoroughly when I return home in two weeks.

thanks for the kind welcome messages

tonym
16-09-13, 06:59 PM
Welcome Mike,

I doubt very much you will do an LS3 powered AK for your budget, more like 35k if you are careful, I would say nearer 40k. Mine is a gen1, with a chevy 383 stroker and is not painted yet and that owes me at least 27k at the minute. Prices have gone up too, since I started my build back in 2009.

Paul

Your budget changes everytime you mention it :-P

seph
16-09-13, 07:47 PM
Your budget changes everytime you mention it :-P
Because I am still spending on it, just wish I could drive it:(

Paul

BobMin
16-09-13, 10:48 PM
Mike,
I pulled this info from the AK site a while back, they used to have everything listed on one page before the web site upgrade. It is over a year old but will give you some idea, just enter the quantities for the items you want and it will total it all. You can then blank out the scary number at the bottom !!! :eek:

JordansGhost
17-09-13, 07:44 AM
Mike,
I pulled this info from the AK site a while back, they used to have everything listed on one page before the web site upgrade. It is over a year old but will give you some idea, just enter the quantities for the items you want and it will total it all. You can then blank out the scary number at the bottom !!! :eek:

LOL - I just had a look at this and it increased my budget from 25-30 to 35-45 :-)

Roger Shackleton
17-09-13, 09:18 AM
LOL - I just had a look at this and it increased my budget from 25-30 to 35-45 :-)

As we said nearer 40k. Scary indeed.

Rog

Cobra fan
17-09-13, 09:42 AM
Hi Mike
I'm building a gen2 kit at the moment and I've got a spreadsheet with all the main parts on it. I went for a SBC and bought the chassis and kit for me to build up my self but most of the main stuff is on it. Like others have said on here my budget went from 30k and is now closer to 40k.
If you still want a copy just PM me and I'll send it over.

Anthony

Neil O
17-09-13, 10:30 AM
Jeezus guys! Will you please stop now!?
Someone's gonna get killed with all this openess about budgets.

;)

Perhaps notentirely relevant to an AK build, but my sideoiler engined Crendon cost me 42k to build (completed 2008).
Maybe things have got a lot more expensive in the last 5 years?
My current Crendon build is budgeted to be around the 42k mark too but will not be sideoiler powered (maybe it will...)

The above is not a tactic to get anyone to build a Crendon instead of an AK, just a point of interest on budgets and how they have possibly increased over the last few years. :rolleyes::D

BobMin
17-09-13, 11:25 AM
Neil,
The depressing thing is the VAT column. When you look at a 40k build the VAT would pay for a very nice paint job!! :(

Aside from that it is all the shiny bits!!

legend
17-09-13, 11:47 AM
Back in 2006-2009 I listed everything I spent right down to all fluids, fixings & sundry items
My Engine/Gearbox package was very cheap as I ordered when it was $2 to £1 & my Finishline order came in the same crate to save on postage
I scoured the net to get the best deals on all parts ( ebay was a good friend ) & collected from shows to save on postage
Paint was finished recently at a total cost of £4,300
Hood, tonneau & frame was added later at £1,202
I replaced the starter with a high torque item & added a Kenlowe fan at the rear for peace of mind
Including SVA test & retest, 1st registration, road tax & 1st years insurance it came to £35,716

tonym
17-09-13, 01:23 PM
Ak gen 1,

built my own: -
Engine
Exhausts,
Petrol tank (twice, after it tried to kill me :-))
wiring loom,
carpets,
Dashboard,
refurbished my own axles except the callipers and diff,

With leather interior and paint job

£22000 approx

legend
18-09-13, 08:57 AM
Ak gen 1,

built my own: -
Engine
Exhausts,
Petrol tank (twice, after it tried to kill me :-))
wiring loom,
carpets,
Dashboard,
refurbished my own axles except the callipers and diff,

With leather interior and paint job

£22000 approx

Tone, that's shut everyone up & got lots of people crying!!!

PS. just checked my receipts, the weather gear actually cost me £1,246 with a very good friend gifting me the side screens
So my total spend was £35,760
Cheers, Tony

JonnyT
18-09-13, 01:16 PM
It all rather depends on how you apportion things surely? Capital expenditure on tools doesn't count does it?

BobMin
18-09-13, 03:18 PM
It all rather depends on how you apportion things surely? Capital expenditure on tools doesn't count does it?

I hope not. If I have to add in 2 new electric doors and flooring for the garage plus a rewire to get power and light that will add another £2.5k.:(

Tools on top of that will be another £1k so far.

seph
18-09-13, 03:47 PM

Same here, I lowered and replaced my garage so I could build mine, plus I spent a few more quid on tools.

Paul

dingocooke
18-09-13, 04:06 PM
6 Cobras in, and every one of them, once I have gone through and added up the receipts and allowed for the obvious missing items, have totalled up way more than the original builder claimed!! I mean a lot more; one nearly £9k out!!!
Of course, as Neil say's, a lot of costs get hidden for 'marital harmony' reasons; stuff gets paid for cash and 'forgotten'; four of my cars didn't even have a paintjob in the receipts total!!
Most definitely spent more than the car was 'worth' finished; but who can put a value on that persons satisfaction of building something, the pastime, friendships made, joy of using it etc. not to mention money not spent in the pub and womanising during the build!! ;-)
My take on it is don't worry if you are over budget or running late; the government do it all the time, so what chance do we have :-D ;-) :-)

david hemmings
18-09-13, 11:12 PM
Keeping all my reciepts etc but leaving doing the adding up till is done as know is way over my planned unrealistic budget only rad hoses and a fuel tank and mirrors left to buy ( i think ) should be ready for iva xmas taken 17 mths so far, i think if had costed the build properly i most likely wouldnt have started a build , so am glad i didnt ! Cant wait to get it on the road ;)

kitcarsareus
19-09-13, 08:13 AM
6 Cobras in, and every one of them, once I have gone through and added up the receipts and allowed for the obvious missing items, have totalled up way more than the original builder claimed!! I mean a lot more; one nearly £9k out!!!
Of course, as Neil say's, a lot of costs get hidden for 'marital harmony' reasons; stuff gets paid for cash and 'forgotten'; four of my cars didn't even have a paintjob in the receipts total!!
Most definitely spent more than the car was 'worth' finished; but who can put a value on that persons satisfaction of building something, the pastime, friendships made, joy of using it etc. not to mention money not spent in the pub and womanising during the build!! ;-)
My take on it is don't worry if you are over budget or running late; the government do it all the time, so what chance do we have :-D ;-) :-)

SIX Cobs in!!!!

You must have started driving in your nappies;)

cheers

Lloyd Barnes
19-09-13, 08:29 AM
Poor Steve, is down to just one Cobra.... cold sweats are breaking out up in Notts :razz:

I made the mistake of adding up the receipts for the Dax. It was a well specced car, but nothing thats not been done before.... it came to just shy of £40k... :oops: Thankfully Kath doesnt read this forum! :-D

TINKA
19-09-13, 08:51 AM
SIX Cobs in!!!!

You must have started driving in your nappies;)

cheers

No it's just Staves a big women and like all women he can't make his mind up ;-). ;-)

Miket
19-09-13, 10:36 AM
Poor Steve, is down to just one Cobra....

Have I missed something, has he managed to sell one :?: :?:

TINKA
19-09-13, 11:08 AM
Yes he has sold the Crendon :-(

Neil O
19-09-13, 03:43 PM
Yes.
The wrong one. ;)

dingocooke
19-09-13, 04:43 PM
No it's just Staves a big women and like all women he can't make his mind up ;-). ;-)

now now ;-) :-D

GASAXE
15-10-13, 09:45 AM
I have a look on here from time to time and see the same folk dishing out the same advice to the same unsuspecting soles, are we really in a recestion? 35 to 40k to build a cobra? come on you can buy an Aston or a Massa for that kind of cash, these cars do very little mileage a good one can be built for much less, instead of a new engine get a used one I bet you don't wear it out, and as for high HP forget it its just bar room bragging most cobras cannot make use of anything over 350hp, keep building but don't get silly with the spend it can be done for a lot less than you think after all you have only got a plastic kit car when you have finished no matter what you build. Geoff

legend
15-10-13, 09:55 AM
Hi Geoff, yes U can build one for £20-25k even £15k if U choose a pilgrim, or U can spend £70k+ on a Kirkham
The problem with buying a used exotic is the running costs, I knew someone a few years ago who bought a Dino for £15k within a year the gearbox packed up & that cost him.......... £15k
Horses for courses it would be a boring world if we all liked the same cars & built identical kit cars
Cheers Tony

TINKA
15-10-13, 09:56 AM
I have a look on here from time to time and see the same folk dishing out the same advice to the same unsuspecting soles, are we really in a recestion? 35 to 40k to build a cobra? come on you can buy an Aston or a Massa for that kind of cash, these cars do very little mileage a good one can be built for much less, instead of a new engine get a used one I bet you don't wear it out, and as for high HP forget it its just bar room bragging most cobras cannot make use of anything over 350hp, keep building but don't get silly with the spend it can be done for a lot less than you think after all you have only got a plastic kit car when you have finished no matter what you build. Geoff

I agree can be built for a lot less than 35 -40k but one overriding factor in this is how much you can do yourself. If you can tig weld then making your own exhausts, fuel tank, header tank etc can save a lot plus running it in gel coat will save thousands. Built mine for mid twenties but that was 10 years ago and back then I couldn't weld.

Delfim
15-10-13, 10:04 AM

Is that what you have??? Put me out of your list. What I have is an acomplishment. A feeling of having completed a diferent task, mind you a difficult one. A sense of pride of owing one of the most famous replicas of a fantastic car. A lot of people were involved in my build, made a lot of friends in the process and I have eventualy helped others with their build as well . A sense of power under my feet, but not having spent money on a Ferrari that will spend most of its time in a closed garage. You call all this just another plastic kit car?
Build one, with a shitty engine and a lot of used spares, especially the critical ones, like the diff, brakes etc. It will be cheap. Its a sure quick way to a funeral.
By the way, I am sure you will never have the satisfaction of looking at a cobra and say "I built that", but that is not subject you´de care much about. Am I wrong?

dingocooke
15-10-13, 10:27 AM
.......or U can spend £70k+ on a Kirkham

Tony, you wish fella!! If you buy a Kirkham roller you are looking in excess of £90k plus options, then add engine box and bits

But I digress, Gasaxe, if you don't like the advice given to people by the regular guys on here (and they are all doing it honestly out of the goodness of their hearts to prevent somebody making a bum decision) then why not come on yourself when newbies ask, and provide an alternate opinion or route? Then people would have extra input and food for thought. That takes time and an outlook to be nice to others though..... ;-)

legend
15-10-13, 10:45 AM
Tony, you wish fella!! If you buy a Kirkham roller you are looking in excess of £90k plus options, then add engine box and bits
I thought a certain someone on here had done it for a lot less ?
At £90k+ that's a lot of money for an aluminium body!!!
INCOMING!!! Tony

dingocooke
15-10-13, 11:25 AM
I thought a certain someone on here had done it for a lot less ?
At £90k+ that's a lot of money for an aluminium body!!!
INCOMING!!! Tony

I was only talking about a Kirkham, Dave's car is a different discussion.

If you go to the Kirkham website and price a car with the usual options, you will end up over $110k USD, add 20% VAT $132k shipping $2k $134k then import duty $141k then vat on the duty $142.5k then change your money to sterling at a mid market rate of 1.50$/£ you're at £95,000 then buy yourself an FE engine from somebody reputable, gearbox, carb, ignition, clutch, prop shaft etc. which will probably see another £18k out the bank, you have a £113,000 motor car; more like £120k if you go for a side oiler! Kirkham are up to over 700 cars now since they started in the 90's, mine is KMP180 circa 2001 I would say its a £70k car, couldn't afford to build one at those prices!

Lloyd Barnes
15-10-13, 11:37 AM
Its an interesting point Geoff.

I think the cobra "market" or whatever you choose to call it has moved considerably on in the last couple of decades. SVA/IVA has forced increased quality into every build, and the average standard the cars are built to has vastly increased. That's played out in build costs, but its also there to see in used values. You often see fibreglass cobras selling in the £30k's now, Im not sure how many would have been in that bracket 15-20 years ago? Anyone know of a new car being built currently with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine? (I'm not knocking them, merely pointing out that the market has moved on)

"Kitcar" when I first started considering building one in the late 80's, was almost another word for an embarassing dangerous looking contraption, an oddity of the car world that most mainstream treated with scorn (Top Gear still does). More than once with my Dax, when I said I had a kitcar I got a muted (almost "oh dear") reaction.... right up until they actually saw the car at which point you could see the startled looks!

Perhaps it means the hobby is now almost excluding some due to cost but anything that increases the respect and value of replica Cobras must be good overall? :-)

martin_t
15-10-13, 12:53 PM
Budget, shmudgit....

Ha Ha Ha...........Amen to that!! I try to keep my wife out of the garage in case she see's anything new or shiney and starts asking questions!!!

Martin

TINKA
15-10-13, 01:01 PM
Ha Ha Ha...........Amen to that!! I try to keep my wife out of the garage in case she see's anything new or shiney and starts asking questions!!!

Martin

I remember a few years ago, I had just fitted a filter king on the bulkhead in the engine bay when my wife walks into the garage and it's the first thiing she noticed. I couldn't flipping believe it she never usually looked in the engin bay. A lot more careful after that.

GASAXE
15-10-13, 02:07 PM
Y
[/B]
Is that what you have??? Put me out of your list. What I have is an acomplishment. A feeling of having completed a diferent task, mind you a difficult one. A sense of pride of owing one of the most famous replicas of a fantastic car. A lot of people were involved in my build, made a lot of friends in the process and I have eventualy helped others with their build as well . A sense of power under my feet, but not having spent money on a Ferrari that will spend most of its time in a closed garage. You call all this just another plastic kit car?
Build one, with a shitty engine and a lot of used spares, especially the critical ones, like the diff, brakes etc. It will be cheap. Its a sure quick way to a funeral.
By the way, I am sure you will never have the satisfaction of looking at a cobra and say "I built that", but that is not subject you´de care much about. Am I wrong?

The simple answer to that is yes, I have a rather nice GD that I managed to screw together myself also I have built a 7 type kit both with modern engines and the GD for a lot less than 30k, as for advice Steve I will leave that to the professionals, smiley face time?

Delfim
15-10-13, 03:25 PM
Y

The simple answer to that is yes, I have a rather nice GD that I managed to screw together myself also I have built a 7 type kit both with modern engines and the GD for a lot less than 30k, as for advice Steve I will leave that to the professionals, smiley face time?

Yesssssss, so you´re the gentleman with the plastic watchyoumacallit dingy !!!! :D