PDA

View Full Version : Vipers Nest

Star Kicker
26-10-13, 11:01 AM
Hi All,

Outside of the National Kit Car Events, what is the largest independent gathering of Cobras in the UK. Has a meet ever been organised, is anyone interested?

Looking at the Cobra members list there are potentially many hundreds of active Cobras out there that get together regionally in relatively small numbers?

Is there any interest in orgainising/arranging the largest Vipers Nest Meet sometime next year (when the weather is better), if so post your views so that we can start a forum to try and get 100 Cobras together.

Paul

Richard1977
26-10-13, 05:19 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me. I for one would love to see it . I would even pay to see it. I'm not sure organising it would be the easiest thing in the world . Will be interesting to see what sort of response you get with the thread .

cobracol
26-10-13, 05:40 PM
probably would be of interest if the meet was north of Birmingham for a change!;)

david hemmings
26-10-13, 06:25 PM
Couldnt maybe each region be able to organize a group to travel there but location and weather at the time would be important , good idea though

tonym
26-10-13, 08:01 PM
Hi All,

Outside of the National Kit Car Events, what is the largest independent gathering of Cobras in the UK. Has a meet ever been organised, is anyone interested?

Looking at the Cobra members list there are potentially many hundreds of active Cobras out there that get together regionally in relatively small numbers?

Is there any interest in orgainising/arranging the largest Vipers Nest Meet sometime next year (when the weather is better), if so post your views so that we can start a forum to try and get 100 Cobras together.

Paul

Why not send a pm to purple AK and ask to join the committee as the club events organiser (assuming you're a paid up club member)?? Then you can get it all organised!! Simples :-)

Purple AK
26-10-13, 08:16 PM
Why not send a pm to purple AK and ask to join the committee as the club events organiser (assuming you're a paid up club member)?? Then you can get it all organised!! Simples :-)
Heh! You read my mind. How about it Paul? Actually we need a new SE Area Rep as well, provided you include Sussex in the plan ;-)

britbits
26-10-13, 08:40 PM
Don't forget us northerners, somewhere central would be nice. Dave B

Purple AK
26-10-13, 08:50 PM
Sorry guys, I was reffering to Paul being the SE rep when I mentioned Sussex.

sumoboy
27-10-13, 04:11 PM
Great idea......when and where was you thinking?

Star Kicker
27-10-13, 06:52 PM
Hi Dave,

I have a few ideas at the moment and want to solicite responces from members to be able to gauge the interest and also evaluate how we contact members to get their involvement. I need to speak to Chris (Purple AK). I am thinking of early next year (March) depending upon how the weather is. Early in the year would be a good kick start before all of the shows and events start and any conflict in dates and if all goes well try to arrange a bigger meet towards the end of the year and build on any momentum and publicity gained.

As a new member I do not want to appear over confident about initiating such an event, as I have no doubt there are peolple within the fraturnity that have much more experience in organising and getting people together than I. But hopefully with enthusiasm and cooperation from exisiting members we could achieve this and build a memorable and exclusive day - "The Day of the Cobra".

Are there any meetings during the winter months without cars?

Paul

smokeyo1
27-10-13, 07:38 PM
Hi all
As posted on another thread a few of us south of the watford gap would be interested (and Essex)

TINKA
28-10-13, 07:33 AM
A few years ago we used to have a National Club day which always had a good attendance. I have sorted a few in past years one at Rockingham and another at the Silverstone Classic when it first started going. Experience is not required at all just a lot of enthusiasm , patients and a suitable venue with something going on to get people interested. Also it would have to be a firm date not just wait to see what the weather is like. As said best way to get started is to become an area rep that's how I started. Good luck and keep us all up to date on how you get on.

claude3c
29-10-13, 10:15 AM
could call it

Cobrathon

Cobra rises

Cobra quake

only question is who would be Cobra Commander??

Turbycat
29-10-13, 08:03 PM
I'd be up for a meet. Sounds like it could be fun. Rockingham sounds like a good idea:D.

Andy

LUX 427
30-10-13, 11:40 AM
Hi All,

Paul

Paul,

Sounds interesting. I'm a member of the French Cobra Club and they have a national meeting in the Summer, mid France. 90+ cobras attend plus some GT40s. Great for pictures! My only regret was that my Dax 427 arrived too late for the early June meeting.

I'd be interested in other views.

David

jwyatt
30-10-13, 06:49 PM
Paul

i think its a Fantastic idea , i would aim for april may as from experance driving 150 miles plus in march is a tall order my fingers have just recovered from goinmg on the hagerty drive it day -3 when i left kent for towcester at 6am
i look forward to hearing more

Firestarter29
30-10-13, 07:48 PM
Paul

i think its a Fantastic idea , i would aim for april may as from experance driving 150 miles plus in march is a tall order my fingers have just recovered from goinmg on the hagerty drive it day -3 when i left kent for towcester at 6am
i look forward to hearing more

Have to say I felt a bit sorry for you as I was only 5 miles from home when we met at Sywell airfield !

Have a look a the heated seat thread that's running at the moment...

jwyatt
31-10-13, 02:45 PM
no need to feel sorry my son and i had a great day meeting loads of people and looking at some intresting cars

Star Kicker
14-11-13, 04:18 PM
Hi All,
Thank you for all of you that showed interest in a major Cobra meet. Well as you can see from the message thread, very few owners have contributed to the forum. This is interesting as it indicates who and how often people are active on the forum, accepting that this is the low season of activity. So it is obvious that one of the issues is going to be getting the message out there to enough peolpe and engaging not only their enthusiasm but their interest in taking part.

So putting location to one side then I believe we would have to try and "piggy back" on an existing location/meeting, where there is already something going on to entice people to come out rather than just meet in a field, when the majority will just wait for one of the major shows. So one of the smaller racing circuits perhaps Brands Hatch or Rockingham?

Brands Hatch there has been some history of involvement with the organisers of The American Speedfest June 2013 (Bilko) at Brands but a more central venue like Rockingham require more local knowledge (Tinka).

Lets keep the thread moving with more people getting involved and coming up with new ideas and taking an interest.

TonyD
14-11-13, 05:41 PM
Its always difficult to get something going from scratch especially when members will already have plans for the Le Mans Classic, Silverstone Classic, Goodwood etc. My suggestion would be for something like a Saturday and Sunday meet at somewhere like Oulton Park( to satisfy the Northerners and the Midlanders) with a few laps on the track available for those interested in stretching their car's legs.

Moreover I would do it in 2015 as the bi annual Le Mans Classic would leave a weekend pass from the Mrs free the Spring/Summer of 2015.

Given that it would probably be the only major meet that year I'm sure attendance would be good and of course it gives ample time to plan, negotiate and liase with potential venues. There may even be an event we could piggy back off...

Just some thoughts,

Tony

tonym
14-11-13, 07:58 PM
Paul, have you joined the club and spoke to purple AK about going onto the club committee as events organiser yet as I mentioned in an earlier post (no5)??

Purple AK
14-11-13, 08:24 PM
To be fair Tone, Paul did send me a phone number. But life's "events" have pushed it out of my mind.

tonym
15-11-13, 10:32 AM
understandable Chris

Star Kicker
15-11-13, 05:04 PM
Hi Tony,
Unfortunately this is not something that I could really committ too at the present.

But will still push forward with my little pet project and see what materialises.

Paul

Star Kicker
05-02-14, 05:21 PM
Re previous Vipers Nest thread - please read new thread in Events forum

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/events/51181-american-speed-fest-brands-hatch-7-8th-june.html