PDA

View Full Version : Sad -the end of a era?

westborne
27-10-13, 06:01 PM
It would appear that we may have just experienced the last Kit Car show at Exeter.
Chatting to the organiser whilst dismantling the Cobra RC stand he stated that they cannot afford the losses. So they will focus on the Malvern Show next year. May be the end of many years of CRC support and craic.

So watch this space for further news.

tonym
27-10-13, 06:15 PM
Bugger Chris, Hope they have a change of heart before next years show. Either way, thanks to the SW crew for their hospitality again this year, a special thank you to Chris and Kath for the rum and lasagne and lodgings :-) Cheers guys!

westborne
27-10-13, 06:46 PM
Tony you are always welcome. Lets hope - Maybe somebody else will take up the mantle. Thanks for the calendars. We flogged enough to cover the electric bill. It was good to catch up. Shame really a lot of effort over the years by a lot of good people has gone into the CRC involvement

david hemmings
27-10-13, 07:10 PM
Went today would have bought a calender too if had known they were there, i did think it was a bit sparse inside this year and as for outside there were very few cars. Not sure if a diferent show organiser would or could revive it.

KevinW
27-10-13, 08:02 PM
Hate to say it, but might not be so bad if the show is rested for a bit.
Once we are out of the current economic hell-hole it could then be brought back and re-vamped, when peoples memories have faded.
Last 2 times I have enjoyed myself, and the CRC stand was great, but the attendance (public and exhibitors) has been a bit disappointing.

I went to one of the first Great Western Shows back in the mid-90s, before I had even ordered anything, and was absolutely thrilled.
In those days there was always some new entertainment each year, from a stunt bike jumping over 12 kids lying on the grass, to a HotRod burn out, to a Dax doing Donuts, as well as the off-road rides.
I cant speak for this year, but last few times the entertainment has been rather dissappointing.
The terrible weather has also been a real disappointment - noone's fault on that front, but with wetter winters, maybe suggestive of a need to move the show to early October?

stevem
27-10-13, 08:54 PM
All the shows seem to be getting poorer each year. Newark used to be good, And as for Donnington this time round, well the least said the better. I think the only decent one left is Stoneleigh. And its getting smaller each year.

Steve.

westborne
28-10-13, 07:52 AM
David -the calendars were at he front of the table with a big " For Sale" notice I'll send you Specsvers number
Anyway. The show for the SW CRC has always been worth the effort just to catch uppity old friends and prospective new ones

TINKA
28-10-13, 08:55 AM
Really bad news Chris had some great nights down there with the South West mob (even Neil) and some great hospitality from you and your better half. Was hoping to start getting down more regularly now kids a bit older.

LAURIESPARKY
28-10-13, 07:31 PM
What a shame Chris it was an ideal time to meet new and old members and the company is always great and the coffee not bad either
Thanks for you supervision

Neil O
29-10-13, 06:11 PM
Sadly, the show site is owned and run by a bunch of people that don't live in the real world so the cost is stupid for the organiser. It's even more expensive to run it in the summer (which would make it a winner imho).

So we need a big shed, for free, in the summer.......:D

david hemmings
29-10-13, 06:40 PM
Sorry chris was talking to andy for quite a while at the front, never really looked on the table as the inner stand bit was quite busy,

TINKA
29-10-13, 08:41 PM
Sadly, the show site is owned and run by a bunch of people that don't live in the real world so the cost is stupid for the organiser. It's even more expensive to run it in the summer (which would make it a winner imho).

So we need a big shed, for free, in the summer.......:D

That will be your place then once the garage is built. :-) :-)

Chimeara
30-10-13, 12:35 AM
Really sorry to hear that Chris and even more annoyed that I couldnt attend what was potentially the last show.

Maybe a newer venue, run by a younger enthusiast at a different time of the year is required.

Watch this space as I have some ideas. Maybe not on such a commercial level as Westpount but it could keep a kit car show presence in the southwest.

Il discuss some ideas with you when I'm home

dingocooke
31-10-13, 12:03 PM
Nice thinking Anthony, I think he whole 'show' world needs a bit of a shake up, and needs to catch up with the changes in the world !!

david hemmings
31-10-13, 05:30 PM
Been thinking wonder how much cost is involved in being able to set something up at somewhere like royal cornwall showground, they do an anual wheels classic show every year,run by the rotary club couldnt something be done similar maybe adding more exhibitors etc keeping costs at levels required to just cover outgoings, OR maybe the rotary club wpuld be interested in expanding theirs a bit to incorporate more of the kit car elements , just an idea, to keep something going would be nice.

Murray
31-10-13, 10:18 PM
David, great idea for us beys down yere, it may be a bit too far South for them hard beys up North (that's anywhere North of Brizzle!)

tonym
01-11-13, 07:19 AM
David, great idea for us beys down yere, it may be a bit too far South for them hard beys up North (that's anywhere North of Brizzle!)

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dixie
03-11-13, 05:49 PM
I have just come back from the Classic car show at the Bath&West showground nr Shepton Mallet.

It is a 2 day event and cost £5.50 if you take a car, £9 without. It was rammed, even with the rain, it was bursting. I went today, poured with rain, but car park 50% full with classics, main hall filled to capacity with traders and 2 x large halls full of auto jumble and trade stalls.

The organiser is happy to accommodate kit cars, he wants this to one of the biggest events in this area of England.

Didn't go to Exeter, but this show is thriving. I cant understand why more people don't use the Bath and West, it has about the same land area as Stoneleigh, with as many buildings, but the main hall isn't as big, its about the same as Exeter.

classic car show bath - Yahoo Image Search Results (http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-702&va=classic+car+show+bath)

Mark

karl_tanner
03-11-13, 06:01 PM
Well, I think there is the answer.... Shame I missed it this year...

...And another thing which was a bit of a dumb move (in reference to the Exeter show) was to move all the kit cars up into the higher car park for that flaming display team toss) The most interesting bit was buggered off out of it... I understand it was to attract the younger audience, but it is a kit-car show after all... IMHO...

KevinW
04-11-13, 02:48 PM
I got free tickets one year to the show Mark mentions - it was very different, and I really liked the indoor displays around each of the clubs.
Karl's right - I reckon this is the way forward.