PDA

View Full Version : GD Mk3 bodyshell

RichD
03-11-13, 09:04 PM
Looking to sell my GD Mk3 body shell as my 351W engine won't go under the bonnet without fitting the oversize scoop which in my view looks awful.

The bonnet, boot and doors have been fitted but need final adjustments. Most holes have been drilled apart from the rollover bars. Flash lines have been removed but again need final finishing. Will also include the associated Mk3 metalwork parts that have not been fitted i.e. handbrake bracket, dash/scuttle/steering column tube. Also the door and boot rubber seals. I also have a Jag steering column if required. The shell has the foot well extension in the transmission tunnel, again, hole cut but panel needs final fitting.

If you're interested contact me and we'll discuss a price, but I'm not looking for a stupid price, but nor do I want to give it away.

Richard Dear
GD427J0217/Mk 3 body/Ford 351W Engine Factory/TKO600/3.54PL diff/S-type narrow rear drive shafts.

TINKA
04-11-13, 12:57 AM
Surely if the bonnet wont shut with the engine fitted then you need to change the induction set-up. As far as i'm aware the height of the Ford and Chevy is very similar and plenty of both have been fitted in the past ????? Or are you just after a MK4 body ??

RichD
04-11-13, 11:46 AM
Hi Tinka, I did some measurements and the height of the engine at the air filter was around 50mm above the level of the current standard scoop. I would also have to make it wider and deeper to accommodate the Ford Motorsport air filter. The engine has the Edlebrock RPM performance package on the top; heads, intake, carbs and the Motorsport air filter which was the thinest air cleaner available. The 351W block is also higher than a 302.

Yes, I would prefer the Mk4 body especially as it has a bit more cockpit space for those of us who are not as young as they used to be to get in and out. But I think it was the bonnet issue that was the deciding factor.

Richard

TINKA
04-11-13, 11:53 AM
Just wonered how selling the body is going to sort out your problem. Have you had a chat to Andy at GD ? They might have another way around this.

RichD
04-11-13, 05:51 PM
Spoke to GD back in 2009 when I realised the problem and they could only offer the larger bonnet scoop. Still not sure whether it would be big enough. At that point I ran out of build motivation and put it under wraps. I've now been able to take early retirement and have the Cobra itch back.

There is also another issue; the colour!

It did not turn out as I'd expected from the colour samples that GD had, so was planning to get it sprayed. I was after a much deeper darker red. I think I had RAL3001 which is an orangey red where I've now found out that RAL3002 or 3003 are nearer what I was after.

Richard

TINKA
04-11-13, 09:33 PM
Can you post a picture of your engine especially the induction setup.

TINKA
04-11-13, 09:37 PM
Can you post a picture of your engine especially the induction setup.

Sorry cant edit my post for some reason.

It's just I have a 351W in my car and it is not a tall engine although if you have an air gap inlet manifold then this does raise the carb about 2" or so. This could be a lot easier option if this is what you have fitted.

RichD
04-11-13, 10:52 PM
Can't get a picture at the moment as the chassis is under covers and surrounded with other stored items in the garage. But as I said it has the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, the Performer RPM intake manifold, an Edelbrock carb with no spacers fitted and a Ford Motorsport air filter on top. Plus it has the Performer RPM camshaft which matches the head and intake specifications.

Richard

Shane
05-11-13, 11:06 AM
Hi Richard,
If this helps, 351W with a Weiand Stealth manifold, Holley carb, Ford oval filter measures approx 12" from the top of the chassis rail to the top of the air filter.
I have a friend who has the Edelbrock Performer setup on a 351W in a MK3 who will measure his height and the size of the scoop to maybe give you a better idea, the engine mounts on my motor are the ones supplied by Real steel the same as these -
Ford Engine Motor Mounts, Small Block V-8 289-351W, Rubber, Each (http://www.performanceonline.com/Ford-Engine-Motor-Mounts-Small-Block-V-8-289-351W-Rubber-Each/)
Hope this may help.

RichD
05-11-13, 02:41 PM
Hi Shane, my set up measures 12.25" from the top of the chassis rail to the top of the air filter. Do you have the standard bonnet scoop fitted? The Performer intake is not as tall as the Performer RPM version. From memory I think it is about 1.5" taller.

I originally got some Ford mounts from Repower but they were way out. I think I then bought some from Real Steel but still had to do a lot of hole slotting to get them to line up with the GD chassis holes.

What about your sump? Does it stick out about 3" below the bottom chassis rail?

Richard

Shane
05-11-13, 06:53 PM
Hi Richard,
My man with the MK3 has just got back to me, he has a 351W with Edelbrock Performer etc and he used the round filter with a dished base meaning the bottom of the filter is lower than the top of the carb, the only problem then was it interfered with his electronic dizzy so, he cut the bottom of the filter and moved the mounting part of the filter base to the front, ie the filter now sits offset to the rear and clears with the standard scoop.
So with a bit of tin bashing and welding job done!

RichD
05-11-13, 09:03 PM
I did look into this type of filter at the time, I think the dish was about 1/2 an inch, but as I said the RPM Performer intake is about 1.25" higher than the Performer. Looking at the drawings I did at the time my configuration was about 2" above the outside surface of the Mk3 scoop. Also it's not just a case of buying an Edelbrock Performer intake as the cam, heads and carb on my engine are all from the RPM package and differ substantially from the Performer package.

Richard

TINKA
05-11-13, 09:39 PM
So does this mean you already know if you just fit a different inlet manifold then all your problems would be over. Just how much difference in power output is there between a high rise and the normal lower manifold ?

RichD
05-11-13, 10:48 PM
Sorry, but I didn't realise I was on trial here!!

To answer your question, no.

I've just got out my notebook from the time where I recorded all the measurements and the Edelbrock manual and the RPM intake is only 0.525" taller than the Performer. So with the current set up already 2" above the scoop level, using a Performer intake and a dished filter would not have solved my problem.

Hi Shane,

Not sure how your m8's 351W fits under the standard scoop. This is why I was asking you about engine mounts. Does the sump on your 351W protrude by about 3" below the bottom of the chassis rails?

Richard

craigh
06-11-13, 08:28 AM
The torker 2 intake is the lowest dimension wise but its a single plane with a power band of 2500 rpm to 6500 rpm, i had no choice but to fit one with a dropped base cleaner on mine to get the engine to fit. (chassis was originally bracketed for a rover v8)
I do have the slightly shorter 302 though.

craggle
06-11-13, 08:57 AM
Jeez, if the guy wants to sell his body shell let him!

Nice looking body and I quite like the colour myself, good luck with the sale, Don't suppose GD would be interested in doing a trade in against a new Mark 4 body would they? :)

Craig.

Purple AK
06-11-13, 09:33 AM
Jeez, if the guy wants to sell his body shell let him!

Nice looking body and I quite like the colour myself, good luck with the sale, Don't suppose GD would be interested in doing a trade in against a new Mark 4 body would they? :)

Craig.Actually I think they were trying to save the OP some money! :roll:

Shane
06-11-13, 11:45 AM
Hi Richard,
I don't think my sump measurements will be any good to you coz I have a fabricated trapdoor sump.

TINKA
06-11-13, 12:10 PM
Hi Richard,
I don't think my sump measurements will be any good to you coz I have a fabricated trapdoor sump.

How about the bell housing as this is also a critical point.

Shane
06-11-13, 04:13 PM
Good idea, but loads of stuff around the chassis I will try and measure the distance from the bottom of the block to the chassis, that should resolve the engine mounts etc the ones I got fitted on no problem are yours like these - Ford Engine Motor Mounts, Small Block V-8 289-351W, Rubber, Each (http://www.performanceonline.com/Ford-Engine-Motor-Mounts-Small-Block-V-8-289-351W-Rubber-Each/)

martin_t
21-11-13, 12:54 PM
Hi

This is all quite interesting to me as I am swapping out a Rover for a 347 ford (302 block). I have built the engine with an airgap intake but looking at all the bumf on Real Steel and other sites, I don't think the Airgap is any taller taller that the standard performer. My Body is a Mk4 and the Rover easily fits in. I have done a million measurements because the Ford, sitting on the engine stand, looks a lot bigger. I know there are plenty of GD's with Fords in but I do understand your concerns.
Because my chassis was build for a Rover engine, I have had Andy at GD make me some engine mounting bracket "converters", which esentially bolt onto the Rover mount which is welded to the chassis and then standard ford mounts fit to that. I took the bare block to Andy when I first got it so he could get the exact measurement in an existing chasis.

Regards

Martin

RichD
21-11-13, 03:53 PM
Hi Martin, looking at the Edelbrock specs your 302 Airgap is almost the same carb height as the 351W RPM intake, but the 302 block height is 15mm to 20mm less than the 351W. When do you expect to get your engine in the chassis as I'm still interested to find whether I have a problem with the amount that the sump hangs below the chassis rails. The measurement to the bottom of the block would do just in case you have a different sump pan fitted.

martin_t
21-11-13, 04:12 PM
Hi Richard

I won't be fitting it till the new year, although I want to get in Dyno'd before Christmas if possible. I have fitted a Milodon Sump which is effectively a standard ford size. Have a look at my website under the "New Engine" button.

Regards

Martin

Shane
22-11-13, 06:15 PM
Hi Richard,
I had a look at my chassis today and it measures 85mm ish from the top of the lower chassis rail up to the bottom of the block/sump face useing the mounts on my previous link.
Hope that helps.

RichD
22-11-13, 06:27 PM
Thanks Shane, once I've managed to clear all the junk that has accumulated around the Cob in the last few years I'll check it out.