PDA

View Full Version : XJ6 IRS Handbrake lever offset?

JoBushell
05-11-13, 04:03 PM
Hi All,

I've done as much research as I can on the forums, and then more hours searching online, I've watched videos, photo build ups and blogs and I'm still confused.

Looking at my handbrake lever locations they are offset in the horizontal plane. See image below:

The offside lever is clearly higher than the nearside.

Given that I will be using the cable approach I'm thinking this doesn't really provide a geometrically appropriate force line for the cable to work most effectively. I know they came from a left and right calliper... so should have always been like that - which looks like the XJS config with the central joining levers that had the offset to allow for the height of the 3 lever arms to line up the pivots in the actual handbrake. Or have I got the model wrong and that's not the XJS one. Or are they all like that?

I've seen some photos of Cobra builds and other reused IRS setups where the levers appear to be on a parallel plane. And I've seen other photos and videos where they are definitely offset.

So. Please can someone confirm a few questions for me like if this config is ok for use with a cable mechanism and the line of force applied across the offset will be negligible?

Or have I muffed up somehow by mixing bits up? (I know I pulled them to pieces and rebuilt at separate times so pretty sure that didn't happen)

Or I've got them on the wrong way round (tried that already)?

Or it's supposed to be like that and stop fretting and get on with building the car!

Any thoughts, help or abuse appreciated. (well - maybe not the abuse but when I fess up fully to the frankenstein I'm building the abuse I'm sure will come thick and fast... but in my defence the seats will be Cobra seats)

Thanks
Jo

chillidoggy
05-11-13, 04:54 PM
Looks like something's not quite right to me. I think they should be in line, so you'd best get your spanners out again. Here's one of my axle from many years ago -

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Cobra/CobraRearAxle_zps9e1087c4.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/chillidoggy/media/Cobra/CobraRearAxle_zps9e1087c4.jpg.html)

JoBushell
05-11-13, 05:14 PM
Thank you Chillidoggy,

I've just been speaking to Ed Ward about something else and I've found out that the block the arm is attached and pivots on is actually on a pin itself which has a degree of rotation - and with a little gentle force can be adjusted back so they line up. The lower one being the culprit in my setup. I'll took them off last night thinking of stripping down and starting from scratch again but actually didn't make a start so I will reattach later this evening and see how that realignment goes.

Thanks
Jo