PDA

View Full Version : New device to be mounted

Wetpool
23-11-13, 06:44 PM
This summer I took a girl of 12 with me in the Dax to visit my sister and her kids. Before she got in, I warned her about the sidepipes getting hot. We stopped halfway for a milkshake, and again before she stepped out I warned her. Afcourse, at arrival with my sister, I forgot to mention the pipe and she burned her leg..., not too bad but it got me thinking. I mounted a very small beeper over a doorcontact similar to a regular car. Now, if the passengers door is opened, the beeper sounds and reminds the passenger about "snake-bite"...
Want to add a thermocontact so it will only work with warm pipes.

Anybody a similar solution for this issue?

BR, Theo

TonyD
23-11-13, 11:21 PM
Yes.

They are called underfloor exhausts.

They work surprisingly well in keeping hot exhausts and peoples extremities apart.

hth,

Cheers,
;)

Tony

Wetpool
24-11-13, 05:12 AM
Damn, never thought about that... :confused: I suppose it might fix the noise issue as well??

LOL, BR Theo

Clive
24-11-13, 09:02 AM
Damn, never thought about that... :confused: I suppose it might fix the noise issue as well??

LOL, BR Theo

It probably will as you won't get that 4 cylinder a-side sound effect you get with side pipes.

kitcarsareus
24-11-13, 09:06 AM

LOL, BR Theo

We are going to try this

Thermal Velocity | Hi-Performance Exhaust Wraps and Heat Shields - Made in Manchester, UK (http://www.thermalvelocity.co.uk/?)

Anyone used it?

cheers

TINKA
24-11-13, 09:41 AM
We are going to try this

Thermal Velocity | Hi-Performance Exhaust Wraps and Heat Shields - Made in Manchester, UK (http://www.thermalvelocity.co.uk/?)

Anyone used it?

cheers

I think you will find that wont help much at all as it's the exit part of the pipe you normally burn your leg on and this stuff has no effect on this but it does keep the main part quite cool (I know I have it in mine).

Yes.

They are called underfloor exhausts.

They work surprisingly well in keeping hot exhausts and peoples extremities apart.

hth,

Cheers,
;)

Tony

Yes but they look crap IMHO :roll: :shock: :shock: :razz: :oops:

Russ-Notts
24-11-13, 11:03 AM
Theo,
Rather than trying to connect some sort of thermocouple to your exhaust headers, you could maybe consider linking into the water temperature sender? You would need a relay which opens/closes at a certain engine temperature. It would work like an electric fan thermostat but you'd set it at a lower temperature. - Just a thought.
Cheers,
Russ.

kitcarsareus
24-11-13, 11:11 AM
This summer I took a girl of 12 with me in the Dax to visit my sister and her kids. Before she got in, I warned her about the sidepipes getting hot. We stopped halfway for a milkshake, and again before she stepped out I warned her. Afcourse, at arrival with my sister, I forgot to mention the pipe and she burned her leg..., not too bad but it got me thinking. I mounted a very small beeper over a doorcontact similar to a regular car. Now, if the passengers door is opened, the beeper sounds and reminds the passenger about "snake-bite"...
Want to add a thermocontact so it will only work with warm pipes.

Anybody a similar solution for this issue?

BR, Theo

Theo

A great idea

Probably no need for the thermocontact though,won't be that many times you open the doors with cold exhausts.

cheers

cobracol
24-11-13, 11:26 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but why on earth would you want to fit a bleeper to remind a passenger the exhaust is hot!, especially if you have already reminded them, most people will only touch them once anyway!, and if someone new is in the car, you would have to remind them what the bleep is for anyway, or are you planning to just take random masserkist's for rides? ;):D

kitcarsareus
24-11-13, 11:55 AM
Once is more then enough, the Lad recieved such a burn from a side pipe.... took months to heal.

The other concern is inquisitive punters and children when parked up at the local supermarket aswell.

cheers

cobracol
24-11-13, 12:09 PM
Once is more then enough, the Lad recieved such a burn from a side pipe.... took months to heal.

The other concern is inquisitive punters and children when parked up at the local supermarket aswell.

cheers

so how would a bleeper help inquisitive children? wouldn't they just be encouraged to go up to the car to see what the noise was?, perhaps you could connect such a sensor to a proximity device that shouts a "Keep away, Hot exhaust!" LOL, I would prefer to teach kids not to touch someone else's car myself, but then I am old fashioned! ;)

kitcarsareus
24-11-13, 12:52 PM
Bleeper for the passengers

one of these for the rest
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y479/crenbbf/DSCF0268_zpsf34bc10b.jpg (http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/crenbbf/media/DSCF0268_zpsf34bc10b.jpg.html)..

..;)

cobracol
24-11-13, 01:39 PM
LOL! I love it, and I suppose the kid could be griddled and eaten at the same time! :D:D:D

Wetpool
24-11-13, 03:15 PM
It was just a nice trip with a bit of a nasty ending. This 12 yr old is a girlfriend of my niece, who happens to live close to me. I was thinking that the intermittend beep is reminding passenger of the warning, or me to warn if not done yet but desirable with said passenger...
Haven't got a regular passenger yet, hence the idea. Was thinking at the time of some sort of readable warning on a plate in sight but didn't like it..
Now can't wait for summer and lots of ride's (with happy ending?);)

kitcarsareus
24-11-13, 05:14 PM
LOL! I love it, and I suppose the kid could be griddled and eaten at the same time! :D:D:D

Ouch!!!!!;)

nuf_said
25-11-13, 07:04 AM

cheers

Our side pipes are no more a danger to inquisitive folks than motor bike exhausts. No-one seems to worry about them.

Agreed it is a worry to us, but apparently not to motorbikists.

Ref unware passengers, or ones who haven't the agility to leap over the hot pipes: I wondered about a heat resistant mat that could be fixed inside the car, to the cill below the door, rolled up next to the seat and chucked out to cover the pipe when needed. That came to mind when we were going to have to transport a bride to the wedding.

I was told "you'll only burn yourself once and then you'll learn" - er, wrong, I have permanent scars on each leg now, as well as 2 pairs of nylon hiking trousers with one leg melted. Never mind inquisitive types - how to protect me......?

Nuf Said

chillidoggy
25-11-13, 08:33 AM
I used to warn every passenger just before they got out of the car. There's plenty of time, given how hard it is to extricate oneself. Only had one casualty, which was the mother-in-law.

Firestarter29
25-11-13, 09:14 AM
I think you will find that wont help much at all as it's the exit part of the pipe you normally burn your leg on and this stuff has no effect on this but it does keep the main part quite cool (I know I have it in mine).

Yes but they look crap IMHO :roll: :shock: :shock: :razz: :oops:

And burns on legs are sooo attractive ;)

kitcarsareus
25-11-13, 05:40 PM
I used to warn every passenger just before they got out of the car. There's plenty of time, given how hard it is to extricate oneself. Only had one casualty, which was the mother-in-law.

Bet that went down like a lead balloon:rolleyes:;)

cheers

cobracol
25-11-13, 06:39 PM
Our side pipes are no more a danger to inquisitive folks than motor bike exhausts. No-one seems to worry about them.

Agreed it is a worry to us, but apparently not to motorbikists.

Ref unware passengers, or ones who haven't the agility to leap over the hot pipes: I wondered about a heat resistant mat that could be fixed inside the car, to the cill below the door, rolled up next to the seat and chucked out to cover the pipe when needed. That came to mind when we were going to have to transport a bride to the wedding.

I was told "you'll only burn yourself once and then you'll learn" - er, wrong, I have permanent scars on each leg now, as well as 2 pairs of nylon hiking trousers with one leg melted. Never mind inquisitive types - how to protect me......?

Nuf Said

I was referring to sensible people only burning themselves once! lol ;):grin:, I always suggest to anyone wanting a ride in my car that they must wear jeans, so they don't stick to the sidepipes!

david hemmings
25-11-13, 09:23 PM
Its surprising how hard it is polishing off cooked on skin too!

nealgs
25-11-13, 09:51 PM
Agree with David ^ on that,

Hadn't had our cobra long before son caught his leg on the side pipe, nice blistered leg, and a patch of skin that stay there for about 6mths, till eventually burned off - you could see the skinprints(??) - hasn't done it again since though, so no daft beepy thing needed ;)

Gary

TonyD
25-11-13, 10:34 PM
Agree with David ^ on that,

Hadn't had our cobra long before son caught his leg on the side pipe, nice blistered leg, and a patch of skin that stay there for about 6mths, till eventually burned off - you could see the skinprints(??) - hasn't done it again since though, so no daft beepy thing needed ;)

Gary

You may come to regret this incident when he's choosing your care home.....................:)

Cheers,

Tony