PDA

View Full Version : 542 rear lights

Highlander
26-11-13, 01:13 PM
Hi Guys, Not sure if this has been posted prior but I have just picked up my December copy of CKC magazine and within is an advert for the Lucas 542 rear lights with an orange indicator lens from Europaspares!(could not find on their web site though) A bit pricy at £430.00 but do look nice................Christmas is looming chaps :)

neil still building it
26-11-13, 02:40 PM
google finds 2 results..:
Top Quality Replica 542 LED Combination Lamp Stop Tail and Red Indicator (Pair) (http://www.europaspares.com/top-quality-replica-542-led-combination-lamp-stop-tail-and-red-indicator-542led-pair.html)

Top Quality Replica 542 LED Combination Lamp Stop Tail and Amber Indicator (Pair) (http://www.europaspares.com/top-quality-replica-542-led-combination-lamp-stop-tail-and-amber-indicator-pair.html)
http://www.europaspares.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/450x450/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/t/item_91132355_295133.jpg.jpg

Highlander
26-11-13, 03:05 PM
I'm damned if I could find the amber ones going direct on their site................like my old school reports..........must try harder:(;)

neil still building it
26-11-13, 03:25 PM
don't worry we're all at the age that we can have 'senior moments' lol
i searched for L542 amber....went straight to it...
bit pricey though as you say i wonder where they're made....china?......
and i bet there's SOME mark up there.....lol
think i'll be making my own still outa stainless....eventually

Highlander
26-11-13, 03:49 PM
I watched a great thread on here about changing the reflector to the amber indicator, think it was in snake torque as well, which is fine if you just happen to have a set of the old lights kicking around, most won't though so will be an expensive swap. Mark up will be what most of us have come to expect in this particular industry, who's to say how big that may be..............I'm just saying that it seems to be a lot of money for what seems very little when you actually see them!! Were these lights originally fitted to any production cars?,...............scuse my ignorance:(:oops:

Elanore427
26-11-13, 04:52 PM
I have them... A customer of Europa buys the proper Lucas ones, and retro fits the LEDs in them hence the price... Is not an amber lense!! Both lights have a red lense as per original.. However the amber ones will flash amber when indicating, the red ones stay red... The amber ones will pass an MOT, but still look authentic when the car is parked up and won't piss off the police :)

iain1953
26-11-13, 06:22 PM
I have an old pair of 542’s which I’ve never fitted because of the lack of an amber section for the indicator.
What colour LED do I need to make them flash amber?

dave
26-11-13, 06:59 PM
I have an old pair of 542’s which I’ve never fitted because of the lack of an amber section for the indicator.

Did I just read that? :rolleyes: :D

Elanore427
26-11-13, 07:03 PM
Did I just read that? :rolleyes: :D
Biggest LOL of the day!!

Purple AK
26-11-13, 07:24 PM
YELLOW and Red always made orange when I was at school ;-)

Happy Jim
26-11-13, 07:35 PM

That's nearly as funny as someone spending £400+ on a pair of these :-)

KevinW
26-11-13, 07:38 PM
I have a pair of the old ones, and bought a Yellow LED to try this out - it flashes orange, and i think thats acceptable. I cant see how it can be made to flash amber.
When I have more time, after I have actually started my engine, I will take a look at buying a suitable LED array - I dont believe they would eb that expensive, so there must be at least 200% margin on that price.
Frankly £500 for a par of lights is Ferrari-style absolutely ridiculous.

KevinW
26-11-13, 07:44 PM
https://www.tindie.com/products/arachnidlabs/8x8-pixel-square-pixel-led-matrix-yellow-green/

kitcarsareus
26-11-13, 07:53 PM
https://www.tindie.com/products/arachnidlabs/8x8-pixel-square-pixel-led-matrix-yellow-green/

Yep

Both my e46 Beemer and the Rangie flash(very bright) yellow

cheers

iain1953
26-11-13, 09:04 PM
The reason for my apparenty hilarious question is that a red plastic lens makes a white bulb appear red by filtering out all of the light range except red. Put any colour of light bulb behind a red filter and it will glow red or possibly not at all.
So, how does this jobby appear amber?
Anyone who passed "O" level physics out there?

kitcarsareus
26-11-13, 09:28 PM
The reason for my apparenty hilarious question is that a red plastic lens makes a white bulb appear red by filtering out all of the light range except red. Put any colour of light bulb behind a red filter and it will glow red or possibly not at all.

I take it there is not an amber/yellow lens inside the red one?

cheers

Happy Jim
26-11-13, 10:42 PM

It's not a filter at all, hold up a red sweetie wrapper to a white light and you see red, now stick a yellow wrapper in front of the red one - bet you don't see either red or yellow ;-). No difference

aaronjb
26-11-13, 11:01 PM
I have a pair of the old ones, and bought a Yellow LED to try this out - it flashes orange, and i think thats acceptable. I cant see how it can be made to flash amber..

Maybe I'm being very 'male' here but.. aren't orange and amber the same thing?

Highlander
27-11-13, 04:48 AM
So does this mean that, Europa buy the same lights and pay someone to convert the reflector section and then sell them at the same price as the ones that haven't been touched.................am I missing something, other than the now blatant over marking up of the original lights!!!!

KevinW
27-11-13, 02:20 PM
Aaron - orange in my book, is kind-off the same colour as an orange, and amber is a paler shade...more akin to yellow imho.
Amber:
Amber (color) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_(color))
Isnt a shade of orange...
Shades of orange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_orange)

And just to re-iterate, if you take a yellow LED and put it behind a red lucas coffin light it comes out orange.
Ive done the experiment ;)

oglyoodoo
27-11-13, 03:53 PM
I have a pair of the old ones, and bought a Yellow LED to try this out - it flashes orange, and i think thats acceptable. I cant see how it can be made to flash amber.

Unlike a normal incandescent lamp, LEDs are monochromatic, that is they only produce light at one wavelength. For example Red is around 650 nano-metres and Amber around 590nm.

If you put a Red lens filter in front of an Amber LED it will reduce the light output but should still shine more or less the same colour. As the Red plastic lens is unlikely to be a decent filter some really bright Amber/Orange LEDs may well do the job. If the Red lens was a decent true colour filter then it would really attenuate the Amber light and you probably wouldn't see a lot.

Denis

dave
27-11-13, 04:05 PM
According to Wiki.
Amber is between orange and Yellow.
seeing as Orange is a mixture of Red and Yellow wouldn't it be fair to say that an extra bright yellow were used to counter more of the Red then you would get Amber?

.....Or what Denis says!!!

Chimeara
27-11-13, 04:23 PM
I have to say this forum provides the greatest level of entertainment I know.

Only on here could you find such an extensive discussion on the colours of red, orange and yellow.

Keep it up lads. I'm eager to see the next installment.

KevinW
27-11-13, 06:31 PM
OK, LEDS are more 'monochromatic-like' than an incandescent bulb true - they actually emit wavelengths of 20 -80nm spectral width, depending on manufacturer and colour.

The red filter on the coffin light will reduce the output somewhat, but unless anyone has put one of these in a spectrophotometer and actually measured how much the red plastic attenuates at the yellow-orange wavelengths, then its anyone's guess. My anecdotal experience with cheap read plastic is that it seems to have a fairly broad optical transmission response. The fact that the LED emission is modulated by the red filter and changes the perceived colour from an obvious yellow to an orange colour also supports this idea.

I observed the same as in this article from a little while ago:

Led Taillights For Cobras Photo 13 (http://www.kitcarmag.com/techarticles/0711kc_led_taillights_for_cobras/photo_13.html)

oglyoodoo
27-11-13, 06:41 PM
I missed out a word in my post. I should have said "produce light at Predominantly one wavelength. As you can see at Fig 5 here:-

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/82878.pdf

These sorts of problems are often trial and error so if you find something that works then go for it.

Pleased you're keeping up Anthony

D

Ahhh Kevin has already explained it....

KevinW
27-11-13, 06:49 PM
Anthony - just to be clear, you need to look at Oggie's fig 5.
But please note, the emission spectra cannot be assumed to look anything like the transmission spectrum of the red plastic.

.... try and keep up chaps, I'll be running a short multi-choice test on this later. :-P

dave
27-11-13, 07:02 PM
I concur.

WTF are they taking about?......Anyone????

Bigblock
27-11-13, 07:28 PM
ITs A BACK FECKIN LIGHT FOR FECKs SAKE

Some of you need to go out and get a BJ and sort your selves out, looks like you haven't seen the sun for a few years. ;-)

Still at least I can show the kids this and say "see, your old dad isn't sad as you think, look at this lot"

Happy Christmas everyone

KevinW
27-11-13, 07:30 PM
You need to look carefully through the aforementioned material sir, and then release your inner Asperger.

I'm off for a nice Chianti and BJ.

Right, read up chaps, Q&A in the morning, bright and early.

Oi - Nike Stadium - thats 6 of the best, sonny jim.

Ian C
27-11-13, 07:41 PM
I think that if anyone is insane enough to spend £430 on rear lights then they are entitled to call the colour they emit anything they like. I would just nod and step away.

Regards,
Ian

iain1953
27-11-13, 08:01 PM
Dave, the point is that orange is a mixture of red and yellow if you're talking about paint. Light is different. EG yellow light is a mixture of green and red. White light is mixture of the entire spectrum, but can be produced by a mix of red, greeen and yellow. A red light in a brake light is produced by excluding all the other colours from a white bulb except red. So - put a yellow light behind a red filter and it filters out the green to produce red.

However, I now apologise for ever raising the matter and will go back to searching for a life.

Bigblock
27-11-13, 08:25 PM
You need to look carefully through the aforementioned material sir, and then release your inner Asperger.

As one of the lecturers at my Son's Uni I'm not sure if I should be worried or relaxed, mind you I see where he gets it from now, the drinking that is. Cheers Kev ;-)

Purple AK
27-11-13, 08:27 PM

Are you sure a Chianti will go with a Beef Jalfrezi Kev? Personally I'd have gone with a nice Sauvignon.

Chimeara
27-11-13, 09:01 PM
Sh1t me even Einstein would be screwed reading this.

Which begs the question. If a red lensed rear light traveled at light speed (of which ever colour you desire) would it arrive at its destination before it had left. Or would the amber lens refract the light at a different rate and be the better choice to send through time.

Either way at £400 plus quid I'd want those lights Supplied with both the wine and the BJ. Even then I'd seriously question my sanity for buying them.

tonym
27-11-13, 09:11 PM
Are you sure a Chianti will go with a Beef Jalfrezi Kev? Personally I'd have gone with a nice Sauvignon.

With a BJ I'd have thought a semillon would have been the minimum :-) :-)

Highlander
27-11-13, 09:26 PM
You guys crack me up..........wonder what else I can find that you may not have seen!!!!!;):D

Turbycat
27-11-13, 09:36 PM
Semillion for a BJ! Crickey that's pushing the boat out. I know where a Liebfraumilch would get you a good deal. Then again sometimes it might be the only "hot meal" they get

Andy

Oh yeah not sure about the lights. Silly price anyway!!

Highlander
27-11-13, 09:48 PM
Holden and vintage in Herefordshire sell reproductions of the Lucas 542 lights for £54.80 + VAT

v8pete
27-11-13, 10:48 PM
Well, if you ask me, those lights are a steal... Now THIS is expensive !!!

Raydyot Nos.Boxed Pair of Racing Car Observation Mirrors,BMC,Cobra,Jaguar,Aston | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380740389004?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649)

Lloyd Barnes
28-11-13, 08:50 AM

Youd have to be soft in the head not to... :mrgreen:

tonym
28-11-13, 09:21 AM
Youd have to be soft in the head not to... :mrgreen:
Ah, someone who understands the reference :-) :-) :-)

Lloyd Barnes
28-11-13, 09:25 AM
seemed a shame to let it pass :-D

route66
28-11-13, 10:36 AM

You would need more than a Semi for a BJ.

kdavies3
29-11-13, 10:23 AM
Sorry to be boring but bringing this thread back to where it started! :p
I nip over over to Sweden for 5 minutes and come back to find this useful thread (not the BJ bit). :rolleyes:
I was just about to embark on modding my 542 rears with an amber lens and twin bulb holder as discussed in previous threads.
But now I'm thinking the LED and non modded lens is the way forward?
So we think white LED for the red lens and yellow LED to give an amber/orange behind the red lens?
Next how do we sort the brake light / tail light issue (split LEDs)?

aaronjb
29-11-13, 10:46 AM
AFAIK there's two ways of handling the brake light/tail light brightness issue;

Either two sets of LEDs (possibly one set of regular and one set of ultra-bright) and hook them up like two separate bulbs or;
A pulse-width-modulation controller that will PWM the brightness of one set of LEDs down to 'tail light' and then ramp it up to 'brake light' when presented with +12v on it's second input - not sure if anything like that exists off the shelf, although it's not a terribly complex circuit for anyone half decent at eletronic design (there are a few folks on here, I think?)

[edit] I think on a relatively small lamp like these the second approach would look best, personally..

oglyoodoo
29-11-13, 11:40 AM
So we think white LED for the red lens and yellow LED to give an amber/orange behind the red lens?
Next how do we sort the brake light / tail light issue (split LEDs)?

No. A white LED gives little light in the Red part of the Spectrum as you can see here. First image.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=white+led+spectrum&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Y3iYUqfkJqX17Ab9hoCgDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1067&bih=701

Red LEDs are what you need.

As Arron suggests using a PWM circuit is one way of dimming things and is the way production cars are likely to work. A simpler way would be to make up a LED array which could have series strings of say 4 RED LEDs each string with a series resistor to give Brake light Brightness. The stop light feed would go via a Diode such as a 1N5404 direct to the array so that would put the LEDs on full brightness for stop The Sidelight feed would go via a similar diode and an additional series resistor direct to the array to give sidelight brightness. The diodes are necessary to prevent the supplies feeding back to one another. Bear in mind that the diodes will drop around 0.8V so this needs to be taken into account when choosing the series resistors.

Denis

kdavies3
29-11-13, 12:07 PM
Thanks Denis, I need to research PWM circuits I think
I think i understood the rest. :p

steve_h
29-11-13, 01:40 PM
Either two sets of LEDs (possibly one set of regular and one set of ultra-bright) and hook them up like two separate bulbs or;
A pulse-width-modulation controller that will PWM the brightness of one set of LEDs down to 'tail light' and then ramp it up to 'brake light' when presented with +12v on it's second input - not sure if anything like that exists off the shelf, although it's not a terribly complex circuit for anyone half decent at eletronic design (there are a few folks on here, I think?)

No. A white LED gives little light in the Red part of the Spectrum as you can see here. First image.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wh...w=1067&bih=701

As Arron suggests using a PWM circuit is one way of dimming things and is the way production cars are likely to work. A simpler way would be to make up a LED array which could have series strings of say 4 RED LEDs each string with a series resistor to give Brake light Brightness. The stop light feed would go via a Diode such as a 1N5404 direct to the array so that would put the LEDs on full brightness for stop The Sidelight feed would go via a similar diode and an additional series resistor direct to the array to give sidelight brightness. The diodes are necessary to prevent the supplies feeding back to one another. Bear in mind that the diodes will drop around 0.8V so this needs to be taken into account when choosing the series resistors.

OR

Ofwel twee sets van LED's (eventueel een set van reguliere en een set van ultra -bright ) en haak ze als twee aparte lampen of ;
Een puls - breedte - modulatie controller die de helderheid van een reeks LED's zal PWM ' achterlicht ' en vervolgens oprit het tot ' stoplicht ' wanneer voorgesteld met 12 v op het tweede ingang - niet zeker of zoiets bestaat uit de kast , maar het is niet een erg complexe schakeling voor iedereen half fatsoenlijk bij elektronika ontwerp ( er zijn een paar mensen hier , denk ik ? )

Nee, een witte LED geeft weinig licht in het rode deel van het spectrum zoals je hier kunt zien . Eerste beeld .

Rode LED's zijn wat je nodig hebt .

Zoals Arron suggereert het gebruik van een PWM- circuit is een manier van dimmen dingen en is de manier waarop de productie auto's zijn waarschijnlijk om te werken. Een eenvoudigere manier zou zijn om een LED-array welke serie snaren van zeg 4 rode LED's kunnen hebben elke snaar met een serie weerstand te Brake licht helderheid geven . De halte lichte voeding zou gaan via een diode , zoals een 1N5404 direct aan de array , zodat de LED's op volle sterkte te stoppen De Sidelight voeding zou zetten zou gaan via een soortgelijke diode en een extra serie weerstand direct aan de array te zijlicht helderheid geven . De diodes zijn nodig om de levering terugkoppeling elkaar voorkomen . Houd in gedachten dat de diodes zal dalen rond 0.8V dus dit moet rekening worden gehouden bij het ​​kiezen van de serie weerstanden .

makes about as much sense to me in Dutch as it does in electronic speak!!:)

Anyone fancy making some of these for the rest of us

TINKA
29-11-13, 01:50 PM
Quite easy really wire up say 12 led's 4 on one circuit which will come on with the lights and the other 8 which will come on when you hit the brakes with the side lights staying on. Exactly how the normal side/brake light bulbs work, no need for any fancy circuits or rewiring.

Happy Jim
29-11-13, 05:02 PM
Sh1t me even Einstein would be screwed reading this.

Which begs the question. If a red lensed rear light traveled at light speed (of which ever colour you desire) would it arrive at its destination before it had left. Or would the amber lens refract the light at a different rate and be the better choice to send through time.

Either way at £400 plus quid I'd want those lights Supplied with both the wine and the BJ. Even then I'd seriously question my sanity for buying them.

Anthony, that's a clear IVA fail and also an MOT fail, seriously you should know better! Whilst travelling at the speed of light the red light can, of course, not be seen as it can never catch you, therefore by deduction the "light" will remain off/will not illuminate, hence IVA and MOT Fail, which beggers the question of how to slow down from light speed travel without getting rear ended....a conundrum indeed :-)

tonym
29-11-13, 05:24 PM
Anthony, that's a clear IVA fail and also an MOT fail, seriously you should know better! Whilst travelling at the speed of light the red light can, of course, not be seen as it can never catch you, therefore by deduction the "light" will remain off/will not illuminate, hence IVA and MOT Fail, which beggers the question of how to slow down from light speed travel without getting rear ended....a conundrum indeed :-)

Surely if you're travelling at the speed of light and put on your brake lights then you will be leaving the red light behind and wouldn't worry about it catching you up, the vehicle behind you (which does need to see the light to not rear end you) would travel into the path of the light and see them illuminate? :-P

Chimeara
29-11-13, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys, you've made my day again and in some weird deranged way those last two posts are the only ones I'm remotely understanding out of all the jargon on here.

Chimeara
29-11-13, 05:50 PM
Also to add there would be a delay in time from the light being left behind to it being seen by the following car. A bit like the light you see from a star is what happened a few minutes ago. I therefore feel that a flux capacitor should be wired between the 12v feed and the LED light so that the time frame equilibrium can be put right.

Regarding the IVA and MOT we could simply travel back in time using the newly installed flux capacitor to the point of previous inspection before we changed the lights and get another years motoring.

kitcarsareus
29-11-13, 07:06 PM
Surely if you're travelling at the speed of light and put on your brake lights then you will be leaving the red light behind and wouldn't worry about it catching you up, the vehicle behind you (which does need to see the light to not rear end you) would travel into the path of the light and see them illuminate? :-P

Tone

Things only start to get tricky when you travel faster than the speed of light

When you put the brakes on you run into the back of yourself :shock:

hope this helps:rolleyes:

v8pete
29-11-13, 09:02 PM

OR

Ofwel twee sets van LED's (eventueel een set van reguliere en een set van ultra -bright ) en haak ze als twee aparte lampen of ;
Een puls - breedte - modulatie controller die de helderheid van een reeks LED's zal PWM ' achterlicht ' en vervolgens oprit het tot ' stoplicht ' wanneer voorgesteld met 12 v op het tweede ingang - niet zeker of zoiets bestaat uit de kast , maar het is niet een erg complexe schakeling voor iedereen half fatsoenlijk bij elektronika ontwerp ( er zijn een paar mensen hier , denk ik ? )

Nee, een witte LED geeft weinig licht in het rode deel van het spectrum zoals je hier kunt zien . Eerste beeld .

Rode LED's zijn wat je nodig hebt .

Zoals Arron suggereert het gebruik van een PWM- circuit is een manier van dimmen dingen en is de manier waarop de productie auto's zijn waarschijnlijk om te werken. Een eenvoudigere manier zou zijn om een LED-array welke serie snaren van zeg 4 rode LED's kunnen hebben elke snaar met een serie weerstand te Brake licht helderheid geven . De halte lichte voeding zou gaan via een diode , zoals een 1N5404 direct aan de array , zodat de LED's op volle sterkte te stoppen De Sidelight voeding zou zetten zou gaan via een soortgelijke diode en een extra serie weerstand direct aan de array te zijlicht helderheid geven . De diodes zijn nodig om de levering terugkoppeling elkaar voorkomen . Houd in gedachten dat de diodes zal dalen rond 0.8V dus dit moet rekening worden gehouden bij het ​​kiezen van de serie weerstanden .

makes about as much sense to me in Dutch as it does in electronic speak!!:)

Anyone fancy making some of these for the rest of us

.....or, ...you could just fit round lamps... :) :)

kitcarsareus
29-11-13, 09:07 PM
Pete

Lucas 691's perchance?

come in red and reddy-yellowish too;)

cheers

Chimeara
29-11-13, 09:15 PM
I am going to send a copy of this thread to Vosa on Monday and request that they revise the IVA manual on rear lights insisting that hand signals should now be the new form of warning of a turn or slowing down.

Purple AK
29-11-13, 10:31 PM
I am going to send a copy of this thread to Vosa on Monday and request that they revise the IVA manual on rear lights insisting that hand signals should now be the new form of warning of a turn or slowing down.
I'm sure they are already re-writing the manual as we speak ;-)

Bigblock
30-11-13, 12:06 AM
What happened to the BJ ?

Purple AK
30-11-13, 10:29 AM
What happened to the BJ ?
They got married :roll:

Bigblock
30-11-13, 12:09 PM
They got married :roll:

Well thats the end of that then

Daryn Smith
30-11-13, 06:09 PM

The speed of light always travels at a constant speed relative to the observer.

I would not be spending £400 on a BJ or a set of rear tail lights!

v8pete
30-11-13, 09:28 PM
Pete

Lucas 691's perchance?

come in red and reddy-yellowish too;)

cheers

Hi Kiel,
Haven't given the lights too much thought yet, kind of need to have a good idea of the dreaded colour that the cars going to be and all that sort of thing before refining the details I guess! In other news, I've got another box of bits on the way from the States, so should be able to get stuck back in on that motor over xmas. You making some headway on your FE?

kitcarsareus
01-12-13, 08:40 AM
Hi Kiel,
Haven't given the lights too much thought yet, kind of need to have a good idea of the dreaded colour that the cars going to be and all that sort of thing before refining the details I guess! In other news, I've got another box of bits on the way from the States, so should be able to get stuck back in on that motor over xmas. You making some headway on your FE?

Hi Pete

Sounds good.What's coming in the box(and who from)?

Not a lot of progress with the FE. We took the block into a local engine shop for measuring up. The block needs a rebore and the crank a regrind, so it's save up time for the parts.

cheers

KevinW
01-12-13, 11:49 PM
The semi is now all gone....so I can think again now......so.........

Would 2 of these (one left, one right) PWM thingys work Aaron.....

12-40V 17A 200W DC Motor Speed Controller PWM UK | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-40V-17A-200W-DC-Motor-Speed-Controller-PWM-UK-/161159979782?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Automation_Contr ol_ET&hash=item2585e22306)

or this

10-50V 40A 2000W MAX DC Motor Speed Control PWM HHO RC Controller 12V 24V 48V | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-50V-40A-2000W-MAX-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-HHO-RC-Controller-12V-24V-48V/301011153039?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D286%26meid%3D3101038986396958001%26pid%3D10 0005%26prg%3D1048%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D161159 979782%26)

I thought if you applied a dummy load resistor instead of the potentiometer, then that would give you the PWM needed. It looks like it has enough amperage guts to drive a set of lights?