PDA

View Full Version : Belt tension

chillidoggy
18-12-13, 08:33 AM
Purely for general info, really. Not suggesting that anyone rushes out to buy one.

Sonic tension meters are becoming more prevalent for checking belt tension. I ordered one for work purposes, and it's excellent for getting belt tension to the correct point. Stick the sensor over the belt, give it a twang, and the meter tells you the frequency in Hz. Simples!

TINKA
18-12-13, 08:55 AM
I wonder if there's an app you can get for your phone. :-) ;-)

neilcatele
18-12-13, 12:42 PM
Guitar tuner apps work I believe, but I have never tried it myself.

BobMin
18-12-13, 03:23 PM
I'm expecting some belt tension issues over the next week or so!!!:D

neilcatele
18-12-13, 03:42 PM
Self inflicted over tension.......?

BobMin
18-12-13, 04:18 PM
Self inflicted over tension.......?

Most definitely!!!

chillidoggy
19-12-13, 08:18 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's an app for it. There's an app for every other bloody thing!

neilcatele
19-12-13, 09:17 AM
Except for deleting apps, there is no app for that....

TINKA
19-12-13, 10:27 AM
So what note represents the perfect tension and is it the same for serpentine belts?

chillidoggy
19-12-13, 10:59 AM
The frequency depends on the mass of the belt, belt type, pulley dimensions, belt spans, transmitted power requirement, engine power, engine revs and no doubt some I've missed out. So, no, there is no perfect tension figure, only for a given installation which the engine or car manufacturer should be able to provide. Unless of course you have a custom installation for the one I'm dealing with, and then it's a pain to arrive at a correct figure!

Basically, belt tension should be sufficient so that no slippage occurs at start-up, whilst under maximum load, or when the engine comes to a stop. And of course the bearings in the system need to be able to cope with the load placed upon them by the belt tension, and the belt needs to be man enough for the job, naturally. All of which has nothing to do with Cobras.

Phew, I'm off for a cup of tea and a sit down in a darkened room!

v8pete
19-12-13, 01:27 PM
Simple, just tighten it up so that the water pump bearing is prematurely shagged in about 3 months, fit new pump then back it off a bit... ;)

nuf_said
19-12-13, 01:51 PM
Wasn't the rule of thumb our dads taught us: Assuming its a V belt - tighten until you can just twist the belt by hand, on its longest part, by a quarter of a turn.

Nuf Said

Clive
19-12-13, 04:02 PM
.... Ahhhh. That type of belt. At first I thought seat belt, then trouser belt. I never thought you would need a special device for cam belts as that is what tensioners are for. As for power steering, Air con, alternators etc., what happens when the belt stretches?

Turbycat
19-12-13, 04:09 PM
"what happens when the belt stretches?"

Get a larger pulley:wink:

Andy

chillidoggy
19-12-13, 05:51 PM
.... Ahhhh. That type of belt. At first I thought seat belt, then trouser belt. I never thought you would need a special device for cam belts as that is what tensioners are for. As for power steering, Air con, alternators etc., what happens when the belt stretches?

If you have a spring tensioner you don't need to check belt tension. It's all been worked out for you by some clever dick back at the factory. If you have a manual tensioner, or you are trying to create a new system, or check a custom installation, a sonic tension meter is beneficial. Also, poly-V belts don't stretch, neither do toothed cam belts, they just wear.