PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in sharing my Cobra build in Worcester?

Wulstan Nixon
05-02-14, 12:05 PM
Hi,

I've never posted on here before so please excuse me if I should be going about this in a different way!

I am part way through building an AK427 but am currently looking at joining the RAF in April. Whilst I know it is not something which can be rushed I am also well aware that time is going to be at a big premium once I join and that a project like this may fall by the wayside if it is not finished. Therefore I would very much like to finish it before then so that I can get the enjoyment out of it rather than it becoming a hassle. I am however starting to reach the limits of my knowledge and so would be enormously grateful for a bit of help.

Would anyone be interested in joining in with the build in return for the use of the car when I'm not around? I will pay any bills associated with building it so it wouldn't cost anything except the fuel and insurance whenever you wanted to use it. Therefore it would be a very cheap way of getting the use of a lovely car which you've been involved in building without the commitment of time and money for a full project. Perhaps it would suit someone who wants to try out working on a kit car before buying one themselves?

Thank you for looking anyway and if you have any questions or might be interested please give me a ring on 07891372422.

kdavies3
05-02-14, 12:12 PM
Hi Wulstan?, that's a great offer for someone up your way I'm sure.
BTW welcome aboard the Forum. :)
Good luck in finding a build partner.

Chimeara
05-02-14, 12:19 PM
If you get stuck id be happy to take on the project and complete the car professionally for you. It's what I do. You would get exclusive use of it as your own at the end but obviously there would be a labour cost which I could work with you on so its affordable for you

Give me a shout if its something you think could work. Visit Absolute Horsepower Ltd - Home (http://www.absolutehorsepower.com) if you need more info.

Wulstan Nixon
05-02-14, 12:36 PM
Thank you both very much for the support! I don't want to sound like I'm not committed to the project because I am but at the same time I have to be realistic as to how much time I have. I'd rather finish it with someone else than leave it sitting on my parents' drive just for the sake of admitting I could do with a hand!

Thank you for the offer Chimeara but, if possible, I'd rather do it with someone because then it would still feel like I'd built it rather than paying someone else to. I hope that makes sense!

Chimeara
05-02-14, 03:29 PM
No problem at all and I fully understand. Its just another line of thought if you get stuck and the car would be turned around promptly.

Good luck with your ventures and the RAF im jealous.

Wulstan Nixon
05-02-14, 03:35 PM
Thank you, it's certainly worth bearing in mind. Particularly given the RAF has suddenly come up from nowhere!

Chimeara
05-02-14, 03:46 PM
What position are you going in for. I applied for fast jet and passed my initial exams out of college but turned away my place at cranwell to support my father and his business as my parents split at the time. Probably the only thing il ever regret but it's funny how life turns out. Here I am 12 years on building cobras and have a private helicopter license. I reached the skies but instead of doing supersonic speeds on a bloody good wage it now costs me a fiver for every minute the rotors are turning.

I'm saving for my 40th birthday present to myself to to fly the Mig in Russia. Selber Kampfjet fliegen in einem √úberschall-Kampfflugzeug: MiGFlug.com (http://www.migflug.com). Good luck with whatever your joining up as, it's a career you will cherish as a few of my friends do.

Wulstan Nixon
05-02-14, 04:07 PM
Haha as you say that's the way it goes! I applied this summer as a pilot but was turned down on the medical so now I'm in the process of changing it to Intelligence. I'm very jealous of the helicopter license though even if it does come with a hefty price tag...

I'd never seen the Mig flight thing before, it looks pretty cool - just a pity you have to go all the way to Russia to get it. It'll be amazing to have done it though.

Turbycat
05-02-14, 07:03 PM
I went for the RAF years ago. Got accepted for fast jet after all the tests at Biggin Hill. Then I got to Cranwell and didn't graduate. I broke my foot half way through one course and by the time I had recovered (as I couldn't be discharged) and done another course my heart wasn't really in it. Tried the commercial route but by sponsoring company went bust. So I ended working as an unlicensed engineer for a while. I did get my PPL and trained up to IR level but spent most of my time flying Vintage, homebuilts and 3 axis microlights. I now haven't flown for about 15 years other than as a passenger in a holiday tube.
Good luck and I wish you all the success possible. Have fun!

Andy (wish I could help with the build but a bit far away)

cobrap
12-02-14, 10:43 PM
Haha as you say that's the way it goes! I applied this summer as a pilot but was turned down on the medical so now I'm in the process of changing it to Intelligence...
So what you're saying is that pilots aren't intelligent? :D;)

We can twist anything in our world...usually the chassis!

Welcome Wulstan.

clive a brown
13-02-14, 07:02 AM
[QUOTE=cobrap;490827]So what you're saying is that pilots aren't intelligent? :D;)

[!

Of course their dum! who else wants a job with 98% boredom and 2% shear terror

of you go

cheers clive

Chimeara
13-02-14, 08:19 AM
Trust me 3000ft in a Robinson R44 carrying out a simulated engine failure constitutes one hell of a lot less than 98% boredom and even higher amounts of terror.

Yet to have a tail strike as I land such an exercise though. I hear that can be fun.

Turbycat
13-02-14, 08:57 PM
Yeah, flying a vintage, single seat open cockpit plane with an oil leak and 10 miles to go is interesting. You've all seen the old ww1 film's of pilots with oily faces? It was fun (!) watching/feeling the engine tighten as the minutes passed by. At least the engine only seized after I touched down and started taxiing :shock:

cperry
24-02-15, 07:30 AM
Bit of a long shot given the dates on this post but did you find someone to help you out??

I'm in the middle of an AK/LS3 build myself and am looking for someone to share the cost of an industrial unit in Redditch for the build.

I'd could help you out on the build if you'd consider going halves on the unit?

Wulstan Nixon
02-03-15, 12:04 PM
Hi,

Sorry but I'm now all finished - I found a really helpful farmer who let me have his barn for free so really lucked out. Good luck with the build though!