PDA

View Full Version : Garage Meet - Sunday 2nd March 2014

Ian C
14-02-14, 11:25 AM
Hi,

Blow away the cobwebs, the days are getting longer and the weather, well least said the better, so it must be time for the sound of V8s to be heard again in the land. So if you need an excuse to get your wheels turning then there will be a “Garage Meet” of the NE & North Yorkshire CRC at 11:00am on Sunday 2nd March 2014 in Gosforth.

In order to encourage attendance by builders and owners/drivers I can promise bacon baps & coffee / tea to go with the usual discussions on all things related to Cobra replica and general motoring matters.

These meets are in addition to, and are in no way meant to replace, the regular official NE CRC meetings at the Manor House Inn on the third Sunday of the month.

If you would be interested in attending or would like to be kept informed of future meetings please PM me, with your email address, for full details.

Best regards,
Ian

Ian C
03-03-14, 04:43 PM
Well the weather was kind and at least one Cobra replica made it to the meet, it was a great to see a replica that is virtually a classic in its own right. Howard came in his beautiful Autocraft Python – a 25 year old replica that is still going strong. Both Malcolm & I, who are building Sumo Mk3s, were impressed with the spaciousness of the cockpit and especially the door size. The Python’s doors are a full 800mm long (Sumo approx 730mm) which makes getting in & out relatively easy (the underslung exhausts helped as well!!). Tommy was impressed with the period wheels but is still in love with his new Halibrands shod with his replica tyres.

It was good to chat and swap news and us builders were given another injection of enthusiasm to get our builds complete. If the weather keeps on improving we agreed that we should try to get the Manor House Inn meets restarted.

Best regards,
Ian

tommy-boy
03-03-14, 06:47 PM
thanks for hosting mate.

I will host a meet myself again prior to the pub meet. So will pencils that in for beginning April

tonym
03-03-14, 07:02 PM
Any chance of a write up for the mag???? :-)

Ian C
03-03-14, 07:55 PM
Any chance of a write up for the mag?

In hand, is there a deadline?

Ian

tonym
03-03-14, 08:06 PM
I'd like to go to print on the 14th of this month so before then if possible :-)

richc
18-03-14, 06:24 PM
Ian,

Is the black one yours? Looks a lot different to the last time I saw it.... Great job...

Ian C
18-03-14, 06:50 PM
. . . Is the black one yours? Looks a lot different to the last time I saw it....

Rich,

Good to hear from you, how are you managing without your lovely Dax?

When you came over for the Garage Meet last year your car certainly served as an inspiration for me. Yes I have been cracking on with the build, once I heard the engine running I became impatient to get on the road. I took it up the road for an MOT last weekend – unforgettable experience, everything else on the road suddenly looked huge.

How is bike building coming on? I had hoped to give you a call & pop in whilst we were in Cockermouth last year but We had a packed agenda so did not make it.

Any time you need a Cobra fix let me know or, better still, pop over to the Manor House Inn when we have managed to stir up the locals for a meet and a trip out,

Best regards,
Ian

richc
18-03-14, 07:07 PM
Just picked up a really tidy Bonneville (apart from the bits that hit the ground when the poor bloke fell off it!), I'll probably patch it up for a bit of a spin before the engine comes out and lands in my frame jig.

Either way, I'll take a run over to the manor house or a garage meet if the weather's suitable. I've still got a modified Fireblade so have some nifty wheels!!

Love the look of your car, especially the black bonnet catches and trim. If I did another there wouldn't be a spec of chrome on it... Maybe a bit of brushed alloy here and there.

Ian C
18-03-14, 09:09 PM
Rich,

We obviously have similar ideas, I have no interest in trying to build a faithful replica using outdated parts from the 60s. My aim is to build a car that I can enjoy driving on the track & the road and which, hopefully, I can use to enter the odd hill climb or similar competition.

Having said that my original aim was to have “no bling” and I was firmly committed to painting the side pipes and possibly the roll hoops either mat grey or white. However I have bottled it, I can not face deflowering my lovely DB side pipes.

If you PM me your email address or contact number I will let you know when we have managed to chase some Northerners up to the Manor House Inn alternatively if you keep an eye on the North East & North Yorkshire section there should be updates there.

Is it an old school Bonneville or one of the new breed?

Regards,
Ian

richc
18-03-14, 10:01 PM
I'll pm you. Bike is a 2013 model, can't be bothered with oily legs and numb fingers with the old engines, plus I wanted to slow down a bit but not grind to a halt!!! 😊

richc
16-04-14, 05:11 PM
Pleased to report I got the triumph back on the road for 250 quids worth of bits, had starting problem that took an hour or so to trace to a relay but other than that it's a cracker, if a bit slower than I'm used to! Thought I was doing about 120 until I checked the speedo and was only doing 70!