PDA

View Full Version : The Floods

Highlander
15-02-14, 10:12 AM
To all of you guy's that are in the flooded and potential flood areas down south, my thoughts are with you and your families and hope that this shite weather eases soon and you can start to pick up the pieces and try getting somewhere near back to a normal life!

All the best.

Paul.

427jlc
15-02-14, 10:23 AM
Yeah I agree, did I miss something because I want to know if it's been going on since New year how come the media only got it on national tv by the end of January? Surely if the media (no matter what you think of them) has started in Jan there would have been 2/3 weeks gain in time to react sooner & MAYBE reduce the impact or damage?

Also flooding was a huge issue 2-3 years ago was it the Sheffield area?? Can't remember exactly but did the authorities think it was not going to happen again?

Maybe we should put the insurance companies in charge as they can tell me by street which are flood risk area's so where has been preventative action learned from the last serious floods?

I don't know the answers but it's just how I see it. But I do feel sorry for anyone caught up in this mess!

steamyrotter
15-02-14, 12:18 PM
Its because we in the west country are not the major financial districts..
As always those with the money will get sorted first irregardles that they have about 3mm of water at the bottom of their drive and most of the Somerset levels are under 3-5 feet!
Some of them have been flooded since before Christmas and are still not out of the woods yet..
That to me is inexcuseable in that no help was forth coming for a long time.

One farmer has had to sell his herd early at a considerable loss as 95% of his farm was under water.
So no meat and milk from there for a while... that could affect a lot of the county and country also.

I am lucky that where I am I don't suffer from flooding, but travel through them daily to get to work, and my thoughts go out to those significantly affected by the floods.
Some of my work colleagues are among them.

KevinW
15-02-14, 04:23 PM
2 thoughts:

1. The bible said that the end is nigh when it rains for 40 days and 40 nights. We're on day 38.

2. Thats UKIP nutter said that all this bad weather was due to the gays carrying-on. The current govt decided he was actually on to something, so decided to harass the gay in charge of the EA.

britbits
15-02-14, 04:50 PM
To all of you guy's that are in the flooded and potential flood areas down south, my thoughts are with you and your families and hope that this shite weather eases soon and you can start to pick up the pieces and try getting somewhere near back to a normal life!

All the best.

Paul. well said that man please add my voice to those sentiments regards Dave B

karl_tanner
16-02-14, 02:21 AM
WHEN is this bloody rain going to stop?!?!

Saw the news earlier today, and it really dawns on you just how close this is! Sentiments to those effected of course... Except for that t*at Nataro idiot...

Regards,

Karl

motormoose
16-02-14, 07:14 AM
if the bibles right there will no doubt be a a load of cobras on fleebay one day auctions this weekend ,and ukip have my vote next time round ,assuming we all make it through the floods .

StewbieC
16-02-14, 07:25 AM
We are marooned again :(. Luckily the house has stayed dry. Our thoughts go out to those worse off.

Lloyd Barnes
16-02-14, 02:44 PM
Yep, there's some impressive flooding here in the Severn river valley as well. Bright sunny day today though thankfully.

Marooned Stu? Can't even get out in the Series?

StewbieC
16-02-14, 03:23 PM
Yep, there's some impressive flooding here in the Severn river valley as well. Bright sunny day today though thankfully.

Marooned Stu? Can't even get out in the Series?

No not even with the series today mate! Maesbrook the current is too risky and too deep past the Tontine!

Trevor
17-02-14, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the thoughts Paul
We are close to the Thames at Staines and my priority last Tuesday was to put the Cob on axle stands.
The water lapped to within 4ins in height of the garage door with no chance of then getting the Cob out.
Lesson for the future - make the decision to move it earlier.
We were very fortunate as some lower lying houses around us were very badly affected.
The Discovery kept us mobile the whole week whilst others were trapped.
Roads nearly back to normal.

Highlander
17-02-14, 02:33 PM
Hi Trevor,

I used to stay in Feltham so know the area reasonably well. I'm guessing that Shepperton and Chertsey would have been affected as well?

Paul.

aaronjb
17-02-14, 03:06 PM
Chertsey is half under water - our office was down to "essential staff only" due to the risk of the underground car park filling up with water and killing the power to the building..

Broxy
17-02-14, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the thoughts Paul
We are close to the Thames at Staines and my priority last Tuesday was to put the Cob on axle stands.
The water lapped to within 4ins in height of the garage door with no chance of then getting the Cob out.
Lesson for the future - make the decision to move it earlier.
We were very fortunate as some lower lying houses around us were very badly affected.
The Discovery kept us mobile the whole week whilst others were trapped.
Roads nearly back to normal.

I was thinking it would be a good idea for those Cobra owners who are at risk of flooding to buddy up with other local Cobra owners who could house their cars in the event of immenant flooding, that way it is one less thing to worry about, and can be done in plenty of time, so they can focus on house contents instead. I for one would be a willing buddy, you just need to have the ability to garage for (hopefully) short periods of time. We have had flooding locally here, so if any one close to me needs that re-assurance, then drop me a pm! Maybe we can get a network across the country?

karl_tanner
18-02-14, 09:23 PM
The problem is... Getting them back! ;)

Nice idea though...

Broxy
19-02-14, 08:31 AM
The problem is... Getting them back! ;)

Nice idea though...

Lol! Karl, that's true, especially if someone wants to store their Kirkham at mine, all bets would be off! :D

karl_tanner
19-02-14, 09:54 AM
Conversation would be:

"Kirkham...? What Kirkham...? Not here mate...." ;)

steamyrotter
19-02-14, 12:22 PM
So if i drop mine off, will it be finished for me by the time i pick it up??

:o