PDA

View Full Version : Sumo MK 3

Paul B
24-03-14, 09:44 AM
Cobra 427 recreation by Pilgrim.

This car has been lovingly built and owned by the seller with the build starting in 2000 and the SVA pass in November 2001.

Based on the custom galvanised, rust proof chassis with Sierra hubs, brakes, steering and drive-shafts along with a completely rebuilt Rover 3.5 litre V8 engine and 5 speed manual gearbox with hydraulic clutch operation.

The engine was completely rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago with Rover P6 high compression pistons, a mild road Viper Hurricane cam, late model Rover 4.6 heads (for much better breathing) as well as a number of smaller but necessary modifications. The engine produces over 200 bhp and at least 250 ft/lbs of torque. When tested in 2012, with the old SD1 heads, these figures were achieved but the newer 4.6 heads have made a significant improvement.

The engine has been subject to many hours of "dressing up" without going too far. With hand polished rocker covers, powder coated Edelbrock inlet manifold and a Weber 4 barrel carburettor as well as carefully route cables and stainless steel braided throttle cable and stainless steel over-braid on most hoses etc.

Custom made side running exhausts were to my own design to give the aggressive appearance and loud noise on heavy acceleration whilst being a more gentle rumble when cruising.
The front brakes have been upgraded to EBC Turbo Groove discs and Green Stuff, low dust pads.

The body is a very close replica of the original 427 models, in highly polished dark blue gel coat and white vinyl stripes. This has proven to be a very hardwearing, and easily polishable finish with many asking what the paint colour is !

The interior is in grey with the seats on slides to allow for easy adjustment. The passenger has a footrest to provide something to brace against and provide that little more comfort. Fitted with wind-wings, sun visors in blue and a removable windscreen on the rollbar, wind battering is greatly reduced without reducing the overall experience. I have also fitted a heater that take the edge off the cold air around the legs, when it's not so sunny !

The car is supplied with wet weather mohair hood and side screens as well as a custom made tonneau cover.

It is running on 15 inch wheels for the "fatter rubber" look and all the Halibrand replica wheels are in perfect condition, having never been kerbed and always kept clean and polished.

As you can imagine, this car has been a major part of my life for 12 years and has been very well looked after. The 35,000 miles that have passed beneath its wheels, have included several trips to France as well as many memorable drives around the UK. The only breakdown was 4 miles from home with a holed radiator (mesh stone guard now fitted !).

Performance is quite exhilarating with many a biker surprised to find me still in their mirrors, whilst still returning around 27 mpg on a run.

Having never failed the SVA or subsequent MOT tests, it is a reliable and very rewarding car to own and drive. It never fails to attract attention and compliments from young and old alike.

Currently on Pistonheads with photo's , follow this link :- Used 2001 Kit Cars Cobra Replicas for sale in South Glos. | Pistonheads (http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/cobra-replicas/cobra-427-recreation/2172298?isexperiment=true)

Paul B
24-03-14, 09:45 AM
Sorry, meant to say selling at £17,950 ono

tonym
24-03-14, 12:43 PM
Expensive in my opinion but certainly the right time of year to sell. Good luck with the sale.

KevinW
24-03-14, 01:24 PM
Millionaiire Osborne says we dont need to worry - there's cash a plenty swilling in the economy, and a housing bubble round the corner next year, so make hay while it lasts.

dingocooke
24-03-14, 02:17 PM
Millionaiire Osborne says we dont need to worry - there's cash a plenty swilling in the economy, and a housing bubble round the corner next year, so make hay while it lasts.

Yea I thought that too Kevin, funny how a millionaire can not worry about money eh!!
Not just Osborne mind you, I wouldn't trust any of them, Lib/Lab/Con/Union, all out just to line their own pockets big time, and keep the less intelligent distracted by perpetuating the tory versus labour childlike name calling and automatic gainsaying/naysaying . About time the whole of the political elite and their sycophants got onto the important stuff like re building the countries manufacturing base! But they won't.

BOT good luck with the sale, looks a nice car

Stu J
24-03-14, 03:11 PM
Very nice example Paul.

Someone will have a lovely car, I would not sell mine for anything less, you have priced it wisely.

Paul B
24-03-14, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. I have had to struggle with myself for 2 years before finally committing to sell !

I think the pricing is fair, considering the many £20k + cars around and the costs to build new. We shall see.

Cheers
Paul

m eeley
25-03-14, 09:01 AM
Nice looking car Paul. I'd say you've got the price about right. Good luck selling it.

Paul B
25-03-14, 09:28 AM
Nice looking car Paul. I'd say you've got the price about right. Good luck selling it.

Thanks mate.

Miket
25-03-14, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys. I have had to struggle with myself for 2 years before finally committing to sell !

I think the pricing is fair, considering the many £20k + cars around and the costs to build new. We shall see.

Cheers
Paul

Nice looking car, good luck with the sale.

martsam
25-03-14, 05:55 PM
Hi Paul,
Good luck with the sale. I have a question for you about your sumo. I have the same model and the same engine I think. What I would like to know is I presume the brake servo is a sierra one. How close are the brake pipes as they pass by the exhaust manifold ? I have individual pipes from the engine not the combined manifold like yours but still would like to know how close the brake pipes are to the manifold on your car as mine are really close.

Regards

Martsam

cobrap
25-03-14, 06:04 PM
Sorry, meant to say selling at £17,950 ono

Unlike others I have the advantage of knowing this car and it is a rare opportunity to pick up a Cobra built and maintained to such a high standard.
Still sorry that you're selling it though Paul and hope to see it one more time at least before it goes.

Paul B
26-03-14, 09:18 AM
Awww Robin, you say the nicest things xxx

If I still have it, I hope to come out on the April run to Wales but we'll see what happens.

Martsam, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you referring to the vacuum hose that connects to the servo or the actual copper brake pipes themselves ?

The vacuum hose comes from the inlet manifold top outlet near the front and runs along the engine before bending towards the servo. There must be at least 9 - 10 inches clearance from the exhaust manifold.

The brake pipes exit the master cylinder in the direction of the engine then turn under the master cylinder to be clipped to the underside of the top chassis rail. Here there is around 3 inches clearance and I can't say I have ever had an issue.

Hope this helps

Paul

martsam
26-03-14, 07:39 PM
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the reply. The copper brake pipes on my sumo pass within 10mm of the exhaust pipes which I worry about. The photo you have attached seems to show lots of space between the exhaust and the copper brake pipes. I can only assume that your engine is mounted a lot lower than mine.

Regards

Martsam

m eeley
27-03-14, 08:43 AM
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the reply. The copper brake pipes on my sumo pass within 10mm of the exhaust pipes which I worry about. The photo you have attached seems to show lots of space between the exhaust and the copper brake pipes. I can only assume that your engine is mounted a lot lower than mine.

Regards

Martsam

That sounds too close to me... I would suggest remaking the ends of the copper pipes into the master cylinder to move them further away?.....

On mine, the closest copper pipes to the manifold are for the the rear which route below the servo and down the bulkhead but are still about 3" away from the manifold at the closest point.

martsam
27-03-14, 05:35 PM
Hi,
I have already remade the brake pipe with minimum radii to get the best /tightest routing I can to keep away from the exhausts, problem is the exhaust pipes are basically at the same level as the manifold from the servo. With the outlet from the servo directed towards the engine there is not much room to route the copper brake pipe from that manifold connection.

Dixie
27-03-14, 08:39 PM
What April run to Wales?

I agree with Robin, I have seen this car up close and personal. The build quality is 2nd to none.

Mark
Awww Robin, you say the nicest things xxx

If I still have it, I hope to come out on the April run to Wales but we'll see what happens.

Martsam, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you referring to the vacuum hose that connects to the servo or the actual copper brake pipes themselves ?

The vacuum hose comes from the inlet manifold top outlet near the front and runs along the engine before bending towards the servo. There must be at least 9 - 10 inches clearance from the exhaust manifold.

The brake pipes exit the master cylinder in the direction of the engine then turn under the master cylinder to be clipped to the underside of the top chassis rail. Here there is around 3 inches clearance and I can't say I have ever had an issue.

Hope this helps

Paul

langbond 15
27-03-14, 11:33 PM
Hi mark we are going to landovery on the eleventh of April staying at the metropole hotel and I believe the Gloucester crew are doing the same the following weekend great minds think alike I suppose shame we didn't organise it together but hey ho we've got seven cars going from the southwest there is still time to join us if you like give me a shout if your interested ? Steve

Paul B
03-04-14, 12:40 PM
"Bump", someone must be looking for their next mistress ???

Paul B
07-04-14, 09:12 AM
Due to a mix up at Pistonheads, photo's may not be visible for long.

So photo's also on Autotrader :- AC Cobra (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201404073126463)

Cheers

Paul

Miket
07-04-14, 09:18 AM
Due to a mix up at Pistonheads, photo's may not be visible for long.

So photo's also on Autotrader :- AC Cobra (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201404073126463)

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

Why don't you try Classic Cars for Sale on Car And Classic | www.carandclassic.co.uk (http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/) I sold mine through them pretty quick.

Paul B
07-04-14, 10:28 AM
Hi Mike

I have it on there as well, but thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Paul

kdavies3
07-04-14, 10:31 AM
Are you and Fran still off to France Paul?

Paul B
07-04-14, 01:27 PM
"Probably" is the correct answer but still a number of hurdles to cross before it's final.

Would love to take the Cobra but the French legislation and my back injury means that it is better to find a new home for it here in the UK.

Paul

Paul B
16-04-14, 03:47 PM
Well, she's no longer for sale.

Recent legislative changes in France and some, yet to be ordered, new seats and I'm keeping her :)

Dixie
16-04-14, 05:10 PM
The right decision.

M

cobrap
16-04-14, 10:00 PM
Yay!!!

Do new seats have to have integral wine holders?

kdavies3
17-04-14, 10:46 AM
I hope you haven't put Fran on the streets?? :o
Good decision Paul.