PDA

View Full Version : Moving house - wooden boxes.

andicole0
12-06-14, 06:31 PM
We are finally going to downsize and cash in on the house prices which have rather soared since we moved to Tunbridge Wells 20 odd years ago.

The down side of this is that I have to pack up the garage and sheds! I've sold off some of the less used stuff I had but the rest is probably going to have to be packed by me as wouldn't trust anyone else.

The standard cardboard boxes used to ship normal household stuff won't do so I'm looking for some wooden boxes or chests that would be strong enough to hold reasonable amount of garage tools etc.

Would anyone here have any such thing or know of anywhere I could get hold of something cheap.

Cheers.

Andi.

KevinW
12-06-14, 09:19 PM
why not get a set of plastic boxes with lids? you'll still need some bubble wrap.
when they're full, bubble-wrap everything else and stick it in cardboard boxes with plenty of parcel tape. You'll be surpised how robust the latter will be.
I had my vice and all sorts of other crap packed up like that when i moved 7 eras ago, no probs.

andicole0
13-06-14, 07:47 AM
why not get a set of plastic boxes with lids? you'll still need some bubble wrap.
when they're full, bubble-wrap everything else and stick it in cardboard boxes with plenty of parcel tape. You'll be surpised how robust the latter will be.
I had my vice and all sorts of other crap packed up like that when i moved 7 eras ago, no probs.

My concern is that plastic may be too brittle and cardboard could puncture from a sharp edge. But this is where I might have to end up.

Andi.

aaronjb
13-06-14, 08:48 AM
New, plastic boxes tend to be pretty sturdy .. when they're old, though, stuff does tend to fall through the bottom (don't ask!).

If you'd posted this before I came down I'd have offered to bring the big orange packing crate I have - it's some kind of plastic but purpose designed to hold a ridiculous amount of weight. Looks a lot like this: 20 x Large 75 Litre Plastic Storage Boxes, Ex Hire Crates - Strong & Heavy Duty | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-Large-75-Litre-Plastic-Storage-Boxes-Ex-Hire-Crates-Strong-Heavy-Duty-/270898826170)

If you can find some of those (maybe a little cheaper than the eBay link, although that is for 20..) they are essentially indestructible - mine moved my parents several times and me twice.

Incidentally the first thing I did when I got home from yours was check Rightmove and depress myself with the price of your place :lol:

Miket
13-06-14, 09:17 AM
You could look for some old Tea Chests.

andicole0
13-06-14, 11:34 AM
New, plastic boxes tend to be pretty sturdy .. when they're old, though, stuff does tend to fall through the bottom (don't ask!).

If you'd posted this before I came down I'd have offered to bring the big orange packing crate I have - it's some kind of plastic but purpose designed to hold a ridiculous amount of weight. Looks a lot like this: 20 x Large 75 Litre Plastic Storage Boxes, Ex Hire Crates - Strong & Heavy Duty | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-Large-75-Litre-Plastic-Storage-Boxes-Ex-Hire-Crates-Strong-Heavy-Duty-/270898826170)

If you can find some of those (maybe a little cheaper than the eBay link, although that is for 20..) they are essentially indestructible - mine moved my parents several times and me twice.

Incidentally the first thing I did when I got home from yours was check Rightmove and depress myself with the price of your place :lol:

Yes it is almost embarrassing what prices have done in Tunbridge Wells. Some other numbers like what we paid for it would also be embarrassing I suspect, buy hey that was always our plan, put most of our money into a house and less into saving and pensions.

We are now under offer as well :-)

Mike T - I am, but most are advertised as antique Tea Chests and I've seen them for £70 a go!! I have found some on ebay that are nearby and don't any bids yet!

Andi.

Andi.