PDA

View Full Version : Build manual

Chris Taylor
27-06-14, 04:24 PM
Does anyone have a copy of a manual for what I believe to be a cobretti viper?

Dek
27-06-14, 05:25 PM
Does anyone have a copy of a manual for what I believe to be a cobretti viper?

I have something which is quite rudimentary but probably all that was available at the time. Unfortunately I haven't got a scanner. Are you sure it's a Viper? Could you post up some pics?
Dek

Chris Taylor
27-06-14, 06:08 PM
Hi Dek

thanks for the reply, I'm planning to spend some time on it this weekend so will post some up to dare pics to see if you can work it out.

TINKA
27-06-14, 06:46 PM
If the manual is anything like the one for Classic Replicas, then it's a complete waste of paper and wont really be much help.

Chris Taylor
28-06-14, 12:36 PM
Hi there again, here are some pics of my chassis (big work in progress!) Hope someone with more experience than me can actually say what this chassis is? After buying it thinking it was a cobretti, and then speaking to Bob Busbridge I am still unsure and so was he. So here goes. Also after have the rear end for a while now, I was still not happy with how it looked so set about it this morning. Got everything looking straight apart from the diff mount that is welded on the back of the tunnel (see pic if you can) have others of you had to cut it off and re-weld it? Just wanted to ask before I went ahead and did that.

Thanks in advance.

Murray
28-06-14, 01:43 PM

This should help, it's a bit awkward holding the computer up side down!

TINKA
28-06-14, 02:00 PM
That chassis looks so much like the classic replica chassis I helped my mate build.

Dek
28-06-14, 05:55 PM
Both chassis and body look like a Viper to me.
Dek

steamyrotter
28-06-14, 05:56 PM
This should help, it's a bit awkward holding the computer up side down!

Was just thinking that was either an aussie kit, or a demonstration of an F1 car and the fabled down force will stick it to the ceiling.....

Dek
28-06-14, 06:01 PM
Was just thinking that was either an aussie kit, or a demonstration of an F1 car and the fabled down force will stick it to the ceiling.....

Actually when I clicked on the images to enlarge they are the right way up.
Dek

Deck
19-01-15, 11:41 PM
Hi Chris
I haven't been here as much as i'd like but couldn't have built my car without this forum. i think its ok to dig up these old posts cos building cars is slow going (for most of us)?

Here's a couple of pics of my Classic Replicas version. it looks like the same basic structure but mine is Sierra and yours looks like Jag?
The metal floor pans and the square tunnel are 2 indicators of type. Our 2 have very similar structure and fabrication technique.
Classic Replicas went bust about 2000 after a few years trading by a character named Ken Cook who i would love to have met but i bought mine part built.

I hope your body shell is better than mine though, i had some very bad split lines and ended up going over all the seams with a planishing hammer to pop
all the bubbles under the gelcoat!! Nothing a few tubs of filler can't fix but there plenty of work in it.

I put up a pic of my new hinges too. The black one is made up of the original ones. I heard Iain or Howard use the term "Monkey metal" on here once and that really describes these hinges. i couldn't get the door to stay steady, it kept slowly creeping out at the bottom and it bounced up and down like it was on springs. I got a local engineer to copy them in stainless and they are much much better. (and can be polished up to very shiny!)

I got a few different build manuals and worked from these. i did have an original one from classic replicas but it was terrible. i'll see if i still have it somewhere if you want it.

Best of luck with your build.

TINKA
20-01-15, 10:50 AM
If you are going to fit roll bars make sure you document and take photos of exactly how you have done it for the IVA as this is really important. Iain had 2 roll bars as this is what he mounted the top mounts of his 4 point belts too having fitted a boss to each leg of both roll bars. Looks like you are getting on well good luck and hope you manage to get it all sorted and on the road soon.

braincol
20-01-15, 01:22 PM
Echo Martin's post above. My car failed on, amongst other things, lack of evidence of how the roll bars were fixed into the chassis. I have been told to drill through near the bottom of the bars and fix bolts, and clamp the bars higher up to the chassis just under the bodywork. Would have been easy without the body on, but quite difficult to get to now. Only applies if you're fitting the seat belts to the roll bars of course.

So take photos now !

Brian.

Dek
20-01-15, 05:32 PM
If you are going to fit roll bars make sure you document and take photos of exactly how you have done it for the IVA as this is really important. Iain had 2 roll bars as this is what he mounted the top mounts of his 4 point belts too having fitted a boss to each leg of both roll bars. Looks like you are getting on well good luck and hope you manage to get it all sorted and on the road soon.

Martin, I seem to remember you did a lot of work on Ian's car and then he lost interest and sold it. Do you know who to and is he on the forum?
Dek

TINKA
20-01-15, 06:41 PM
I know it is someone local to Iain and from what I hear he is going to move to France (I think) and take it with him last I heard. He is not on here from what I know although I have never met him. How are you getting with your car made any changes to it since we last met, although I think that's quite a while ago now.

Dek
21-01-15, 10:11 AM
I know it is someone local to Iain and from what I hear he is going to move to France (I think) and take it with him last I heard. He is not on here from what I know although I have never met him. How are you getting with your car made any changes to it since we last met, although I think that's quite a while ago now.

Oh that would explain why it's apparently 'disappeared'. No major changes to mine, just the odd bit of fettling etc. Since you gave up the reins of East Mids the meets have pushed out further away so like Firestarter we have not attended much but concentrated on nearer meets. Hopefully will be at Silverstone this year if you can make it.
Dek