PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Suspense...

steamyrotter
02-08-14, 08:22 PM
Finally ready to admit to it......

Well if you can remember back way along time.....
I eluded to modifying my suspension slightly...

Well after approx 7 years since starting the mod.. I have finally got it sorted...
I set myself the initial challenge that I would like to eventually drive the thing to work one day (but at this rate I will be retired before I finish!!)
the problem being the sleeping policemen in the car park...

Now my solution is not going to please the purist, but then Vipers rarely do anyway.....especially this one......

So after the initial thoughts and tinkering I now have fully functioning Air Suspension..:o
The Journey began with obviously removing the springs and fitting bellows in place of them.
Rears were easy as they were separate items in different places..
However, if you remember the Cortina front end.., the shock was inside the spring.
Now being the cheapskate I am I didn't want to buy the bag and shock combination so ended up moving the shocks inboard and now just in front of the engine..

Was a bit of a nightmare getting the software sorted to get it working right, but spent all day tweaking it to something that actually works quite well..

It will initially pump the suspension up to a set level, then top up the air receiver to 8.5Bar.
After that it will control to the set ride height.
Have some delays in there to accommodate normal movements and to minimise compressor running.
I have 4 preset levels and either full drop, or full lift. Should get in that pesky car park on one of them..

I think there are still some tweaks needed, and final levels to be set up when i have the right wheels etc, but it is not far off it now..

I was quite surprised how firm it feels so should be a reasonable compromise of ride/handling and comfort.
At the end of the day can always rip it out if it doesn't work....

Right cue the ribbing and jibes...

robinj66
03-08-14, 06:06 AM
We need photos so we can fully appreciate your efforts :)

steamyrotter
08-08-14, 03:50 PM
Will get some on when i have taken a few more..

steamyrotter
08-08-14, 10:30 PM
Well here are a couple of the bellows fitted.
One of the front with the relocated shocks, and one of the rear with the spring replacement.

(You can see from the date that I started that a while ago!!! Didn't even have the engine in or body on at that point!!)

There has been some slight changes though.
The shocks have a strengthening strap on the mountings to give a little more support.
The air system has been plumbed in properly ( the picture has the testing set-up on it!)

Will attach a few of the air control system once i have taken some..

open to ribbing now..

TINKA
08-08-14, 10:57 PM
Just one small question. Can you extend the top arm to the shock on the front as with it at the angle it is at it becomes less effective the more it is compressed as it will in effect lay down. This is why most shocks are vertical.

steamyrotter
08-08-14, 11:12 PM
Fair comment..

However had to have a slight compromise as it would have hit the chassis if it went higher or longer..
Also had to avoid the crankshaft damper pulley which nestles between them..

Did force the suspension through full throw (With and without bellows in there) and movement is on par to the standard setup.
(that piccy is taken on full compression as the arm is on the bump stop)

Damping feels pretty reasonable with the weight of a 'fat un' jumping on the front.....

david hemmings
09-08-14, 01:04 PM
Presume can get adjustable shocks if find things too stiff or bouncy never seen them or could maybe use adjustable coil overs without a spring fitted, still trying to find the best all round adjustment combination on my dax few clicks def changes things quite a bit

steamyrotter
10-08-14, 11:46 PM
Here is the first incarnation of the compressor, receiver and controls
(Obviously pre-wired stage)

Have modified it since this photo as added a solenoid prior to the receiver to take it out of the circuit initially to get suspension up to ride height quicker..

This fits nicely in a cubby to the rear of the boot, so does not encroach on the loading (?) space!!!
Still needs some tinkering but getting there!.

Deck
19-01-15, 11:12 PM
i know i'm a bit late getting here Dean, but i LOVE it!
you sure have been busy!! that looks like a crazy amount of work?! did you buy it as a kit or have you done this before?
Glad you are getting close with it but im going to warn you about your wheel offsets if you are going for wide ones...I didn't do any major messing with the suspension but still had tons of trouble hitting the bodywork with my tyres trying to get a decent ride height. i've 3 sets of sierra springs knocking about with various turns cut off them and sanded a lot of lip off the arches?
Also, the wheels move a lot more when one side is allowed to go down as the other goes up...bumps or holes or hard cornering...than when a couple of people are sitting on the corner of it!
You won't really know until you hit the country lanes and the puffs of smoke come out :-)

Any more recent pics yet?

keane
20-01-15, 06:44 AM
Dean, have to applaud the effort mate, hope it all works out for you. Dave

TINKA
20-01-15, 11:02 AM
i know i'm a bit late getting here Dean, but i LOVE it!
you sure have been busy!! that looks like a crazy amount of work?! did you buy it as a kit or have you done this before?
Glad you are getting close with it but im going to warn you about your wheel offsets if you are going for wide ones...I didn't do any major messing with the suspension but still had tons of trouble hitting the bodywork with my tyres trying to get a decent ride height. i've 3 sets of sierra springs knocking about with various turns cut off them and sanded a lot of lip off the arches?
Also, the wheels move a lot more when one side is allowed to go down as the other goes up...bumps or holes or hard cornering...than when a couple of people are sitting on the corner of it!
You won't really know until you hit the country lanes and the puffs of smoke come out :-)

Any more recent pics yet?

When you say this do you mean that the wheels turn more or less depending on the vertical height of the wheel as in when you hit a bump. If so this is called bump steer and you need to move the position of your steering rack as it will be horrible to drive. Iain had this issue and we moved his rack and made up some extensions for the steering arms and completely cured this.

Deck
22-01-15, 07:41 PM
I've been through this Martin, thanks for the warning. I got new arm machined up and fitted to the hubs to move the ball joint mounting point up...93mm i think i remember?!

I meant about the vertical suspension travel at the wheel, both front and rear. It seemed nice and stiff in the garage, two men sitting on the wing (as much as we dared) didn't get too much movement down. 10 miles of back roads and i had worn a hole in the driver side inner arch and rubbed paint off the passenger side. Also, every time i hit a bump on a left hand bend i got a little puff of smoke out of the front DS wheel arch and a stink of rubber. I took 10mm off the return lip on the arch but i think it would have been easier if i had sent the front wheels back and got 1/2 inch off the outside rims. This would have helped with the 30/50 tyre coverage too as i had to build up the arches to meet these IVA regulations and i still have a couple of more days sanding and filling to get them right.

Getting the wheel offset depth right can save a lot of work here and i left it up to Image Wheels (who are great) but the vipers are special cases and i don't think there is one right size...
HTH

steamyrotter
23-01-15, 04:30 PM
Bump steer shouldn't be an issue on mine as it uses the complete Corrina front subframe.
For "normal" ride height I set my measurements such that the steering rack and arms are straight and level.
This matches with the bottom arms and seems to keep everything in the approximate ball park...
I haven't got to wheel stage yet, and due to medical reasons (torn cartilige in knee) haven't done much to it since...
If its not one thing there's another!!!
Need to look at arches as they are not right ( one seems further back that the other!!!) And the internal lip is something I need to clear up.