PDA

View Full Version : Roller shutter doors v sectional doors

Yellerbelly
11-11-14, 07:07 AM
This post is not intended to ruffle any feathers or is an advert for work because we are flat out with it!
We have been in business supplying and fitting garage doors for 30 years.
We only reluctantly fit rollers for people who won't listen to the argument.
An insulated roller door is 6mm or 12mm thick, it rolls into a "ball" so the face of the door is in contact with the back of the door when ever it moves, barring Garador, insulated rollers don't have springs the motor has to lift the whole weight of the door all the time, in manual mode the door has to be wound to open it, it is geared down so it is easy to wind but it takes a while to get the door up!
Now we are all different but I would not fit a roller to my house.
A Garador sectional door is 40 mm thick (yes 40mm) insulated, my motorhome walls are not that thick!
German engineering
proper 10 year guarantee
Available in Georgian squares or Horiz ribs.
The door Is counterbalanced correctly with springs to facilitate opening so in the event of a power failure
you just pull a release cord and lift the door manually.
The motor is not having to work as hard so has a longer life.
The roller door market has changed in recent years, there has been a glut of companies start up producing them with various levels of quality and various levels of specification.
A QUALITY ROLLER DOOR GENERALLY COSTS MORE THAN A SECTIONAL DOOR.
A ROLLER WILL NOT LAST AS LONG.
As I said this is not an advert for work, but in the Lincolnshire area where we operate, A single width horiz ribbed sectional door with automation would cost you approx £1150.00 inc vat fitted.
A sectional door is the Rolls Royce of garage doors without the price tag!
garagedoorslincolnshire.co.uk
garador.co.uk
Use the information wisely,
Damsy.

TINKA
11-11-14, 09:08 AM
Yes I can't argue with any of that, but if you want to fit a pulley system to suspend let's say a hardtop will a sectional door still free up the ceiling for this like a roller door will ?

Miket
11-11-14, 09:14 AM
Yes I can't argue with any of that, but if you want to fit a pulley system to suspend let's say a hardtop will a sectional door still free up the ceiling for this like a roller door will ?

Depends on the size of the garage. ;)

david hemmings
11-11-14, 07:32 PM
Gliderol doors have internal springs and the motor works as easy as the sectional door lift motors, presume some other roller types do also , there are arguments for using either types personally and we have fitted hundreds of doors Garador/ henderson / horman etc. n various openers , the roller doors are better by far at sealing out draughts , yes agree not quite as insulated if you go insulated as an insulated sectional or retractable, if you fit a sectional/retractable type door you need to use ceiling space to mount the tracks and motor unit, a big downside, Where as a roller ( providing you have headroom to fit one ) is more compact , it also has less moving parts, the downside is you are stuck with having the horizontal rib look, but if you want something fancy you cant beat a fibreglass retractable door ! Even the canopy types have some advantages if you work in the garage with the door open ! Horses for courses.