PDA

View Full Version : Kent 2015 Spring Tour

LUX 427
18-11-14, 03:56 PM
The meeting at Brands hatch last Saturday was a good opportunity to meet old friends and new. Such a pity the rain spoiled play.

We all know that to keep the Cobra Club alive requires a little effort from a lot of people. I was glad to see a number who had driven serious miles (only 42 each way for me) to make the meeting.

I find it strange that some Cobra owners won’t drive far to make a meeting, as surely that’s the point of owning a car like a Cobra - to drive it.

Thanks to Royce and Paul for keeping the interest going on the Total Kit Car event. How about another biggie get together inn the Spring?

I’d be happy to arrange a meeting in the spring, as I’ve done before, maybe to drive a triangle of a route, to make it fair for everyone. Possibly between National Trust venues or similar. (I’ve already approched the NT and they are OK for us to turn up en-masse at venues - with some notice. Paul has NT membership and could advise on suitable venues where parking is £1 or so). Borrowing some ideas from the European Cobra meeting, how about us meeting on a Saturday or Sunday, say in the north of Kent for breakfast, drive to the south west, have lunch, then drive to the south east for a traditional british tea, then disperse back to our homes. Possible mileage 120ish. Cost fuel plus food and parking.

I'd suss out a route and do a route plan, reserve parking spaces, book pubs/restaurants/tea rooms - whatever.

Does that appeal to others once the weather improves in the new year? No need to commit, just express interest (or not) at this stage.

David

neilcatele
18-11-14, 08:05 PM
Hi David,

Still waiting for DVLA.... ( I hoping this won't be still an issue in the new year) I would be keen

Neil

LUX 427
18-11-14, 08:47 PM
Neil,

That's great. Good incentive to push through to the end. Best of luck with the DVLA.

See you in 2015.

David

neilcatele
18-11-14, 09:25 PM
Can't wait to go for a drive.... I was driving back from Cardiff today in buitiful sun shine and all I could think was I wish is was in the cobra....

seancon
19-11-14, 12:09 AM
Happy to once the car been sorted through the winter and Im confident with the results, good to give it a good run to see how she behaves......

LUX 427
20-11-14, 04:09 PM
Regarding ‘the 2015 Spring Tour’, I’ve had a few thoughts, so let’s test them out now. Here goes:

As Kent Cobra owners are well spread out, to attract the most participation it would be good to have a route that is accessible to all, with some owners doing it all and others dipping in and out as is convenient for their time/family commitments and geographical location.

Possible start in NE Kent at a breakfast venue e.g. Bewl Water Country Park - for 8.30-9.00 meeting (they’ve agreed not to charge entry fee of £4pp if we have breakfast there.)

Drive to first stop SE Kent/Sussex for coffee e.g. 1066 Cafe at Robertsbridge - for 11.00 meeting (plenty of parking and good clubby venue.)

Drive to second stop SW Kent for lunch e.g. The Royal Oak Brookland (propert restaurant) or the Star Inn, St Mary in the Marsh (good quality pub food) - for 12.30 meeting

Drive to third stop in NE/Mid Kent e.g. Secret Garden Restaurant Mersham le Hatch, just outside Ashford (Used that last year for a lunchtime meet. Seemed to go well and they offered secure parking last time) or further towards Chartham and Canterbury - venue tbc - for 3.30 meeting

Dispersal at 4.00

Thoughts, critique, any response would be valued.
The meeting at Brands hatch last Saturday was a good opportunity to meet old friends and new. Such a pity the rain spoiled play.

We all know that to keep the Cobra Club alive requires a little effort from a lot of people. I was glad to see a number who had driven serious miles (only 42 each way for me) to make the meeting.

I find it strange that some Cobra owners won’t drive far to make a meeting, as surely that’s the point of owning a car like a Cobra - to drive it.

Thanks to Royce and Paul for keeping the interest going on the Total Kit Car event. How about another biggie get together inn the Spring?

I’d be happy to arrange a meeting in the spring, as I’ve done before, maybe to drive a triangle of a route, to make it fair for everyone. Possibly between National Trust venues or similar. (I’ve already approched the NT and they are OK for us to turn up en-masse at venues - with some notice. Paul has NT membership and could advise on suitable venues where parking is £1 or so). Borrowing some ideas from the European Cobra meeting, how about us meeting on a Saturday or Sunday, say in the north of Kent for breakfast, drive to the south west, have lunch, then drive to the south east for a traditional british tea, then disperse back to our homes. Possible mileage 120ish. Cost fuel plus food and parking.

I'd suss out a route and do a route plan, reserve parking spaces, book pubs/restaurants/tea rooms - whatever.

Does that appeal to others once the weather improves in the new year? No need to commit, just express interest (or not) at this stage.

David

happie33
19-12-14, 01:35 PM
David,

Do count me in too.. and I will bring along the Essex Cobra continguent (about 8 cobras or more ) from www.snaketorque.com (http://www.snaketorque.com) ... We are pre-dominantly Essex based but have members from Kent.

We meet on the 1st Sunday of each month... next get together is Sunday 4th janaury 2015 at midday.. at the Halfway House pub on the A127 drag towards southend... Details on our site...

but yes we would be up for the Spring run.... please do keep me posted......

LUX 427
19-12-14, 01:52 PM
That sounds great. When I propose a final route for the tour I'll ensure that we start and finish in North/mid Kent so that you don't cover the same ground twice. Does Bewl Water seem like a good starting point from your perspective?

Will propose a route and a day in January before doing final arrangements. Would first Sunday in month be good or bad for you? e.g. 1st March? All subject to weather.......

David

happie33
19-12-14, 02:03 PM
that would be fine dave... 1st sunday is the same sunday as our monthly meet.... would prefer another sunday...but we will work with it... if you let me know when you have finalized date etc, i will post onto our site as an event / drive out....

cheers !

LUX 427
19-12-14, 02:31 PM
Another Sunday it can be...Wasn't sure you'd want to do two weekends in a month but 8th March is a possibility then, but after that I'm in France for the Summer - such is life!

David

happie33
19-12-14, 03:20 PM
8th march is good...

LUX 427
12-01-15, 05:04 PM
Kent 2015 Spring Tour - Sunday 22nd February

Arrangements are nearly complete and I felt it timely to let you know what is planned and for you to let me know whether you will be coming.

The tour is planned to start at 9.00 in NW Kent and finish at 16.00 in South Central Kent. There will be four assembly points to enable those who can’t do the whole day to start and finish at their chosen points and to maximise photo opportunities. Sounds slightly complicated but will enable maximum flexibility for those in the Club across most of Kent, East Sussex and Essex.

The starting assembly point will be Bewl Water Country Park, where breakfast will be available. I am still awaiting formal confirmation from Bewl, but they have verbally agreed.

Second meeting point will be Sedlescombe Golf Club, where Coffee and snacks will be available.

The third meeting point will be The Star Inn, St Mary in the Marsh, where a pub lunch will be available.

The tour will finish at the fourth meeting point at The Secret Garden Restaurant at Mersham le Hatch, where refreshments will be available.

Anyone expressing an interest should write to me at david@allen-butler.co.uk and I’ll send details of each venue (with menus where appropriate) and more information on the planned (circuitous!) routes.

I will provide (free) a glossy adhesive windscreen badge (50mm x 75mm oval) to anyone that arrives at any of the four meeting points.

All other costs; refreshments, meals etc (and fuel of course!) will be down to participants.

Looking forward to a good turnout, good weather and a great day.

David

Royce
13-01-15, 10:22 AM
sounds great, see you at Bewl Water.

Star Kicker
13-01-15, 04:14 PM
Count me in also

Turbycat
13-01-15, 07:04 PM
Think I'll be back on the 21st now. So I might be able to make it at some point during the day. Don't count me as a definite just a possible add on :D.

Andy

neville
13-01-15, 07:28 PM
Hi Neil, My name is Neville I live a short distance from you in Cheam village. I assume you are going to Wimbledon DVLA I had verious issues with them, and ended up complaining to the minister of Transport who ordered DVLA Swansea to get wimbledon to do there job properly, who then appolagised and refunded MOT and vin No plate money. I do hope they have changed there ways, dont take no for an answer, if you know you are right.

Neville

LUX 427
13-01-15, 07:29 PM
Andy

That would be good.

David

LUX 427
13-01-15, 07:31 PM
Not sure how this relates to the Kent Tour....but I'm fascinated!

Hi Neil, My name is Neville I live a short distance from you in Cheam village. I assume you are going to Wimbledon DVLA I had verious issues with them, and ended up complaining to the minister of Transport who ordered DVLA Swansea to get wimbledon to do there job properly, who then appolagised and refunded MOT and vin No plate money. I do hope they have changed there ways, dont take no for an answer, if you know you are right.

Neville

Turbycat
13-01-15, 09:03 PM
Hi David,

Still waiting for DVLA.... ( I hoping this won't be still an issue in the new year) I would be keen

Neil

Think it might be something to do with this. I think all the local offices are shut now aren't they.

Andy

LUX 427
15-01-15, 04:32 PM
Neil,

How's the prep going? Any news from DVLA? Are you likely to make 22nd Feb?

Regards,

David

Hi David,

Neil

LUX 427
15-01-15, 04:35 PM
How's the interest from essex building?

Regards,

David

that would be fine dave... 1st sunday is the same sunday as our monthly meet.... would prefer another sunday...but we will work with it... if you let me know when you have finalized date etc, i will post onto our site as an event / drive out....

cheers !

LUX 427
25-01-15, 04:28 PM
4 weeks to go. Only 3 cars confirmed with two possible. Me, Paul and Royce with possibly Andy and Neil. (I assume for the whole tour)

I need to confirm booking at the venues for the meals/refreshments, especially the pub lunch, to ensure spaces is available.

Weather is always the unknown, but I will agree with the venues go/no go a week before.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE COMING FOR EITHER/OR BREAKFAST, COFFEE BREAK, LUNCH AND/OR TEA BREAK BY SUNDAY 1ST FEBRUARY. NO BOOKING, POSSIBLY NO SPACE!

Will then send out full details of arrangements (Alternative for Bewl and Pub may be required, but I'll let you know)

Thanks,

David

Star Kicker
25-01-15, 04:37 PM
Hi David,

Please make a reservation for me as necessary. I have this in my diary for the whole day.

Have you emailed all of those on Royce's contact list?

Ralph from Snake Torque/Gas Guzzlers was also interested in arranging for a meet up with some of the Essex based Cobra guys who may not be active on UKCC so I will message him to see if he can contact you here.

neilcatele
25-01-15, 05:05 PM
Neil,

How's the prep going? Any news from DVLA? Are you likely to make 22nd Feb?

Regards,

David

Hi David,

All registered and on the road, Been a few setbacks with getting some of the final jobs done unfoutrunatly the it will be at AK having the hood and tonneau fitted that weekend....

Sorry I can't make it

Cheers Neil

LUX 427
25-01-15, 05:09 PM
Neil,

OK thanks for letting me know. Hope we all won't need our hoods!

Regards,

David

LUX 427
26-01-15, 11:20 AM
4 weeks to go for Kent 2015 Spring Tour - Sunday 22nd February

Arrangements are nearly complete and I felt it timely to let you know what is planned and for you to let me know whether you will be coming.

The tour is planned to start at 9.00 in NW Kent and finish at 16.00 in South Central Kent. There will be four assembly points to enable those who can’t do the whole day to start and finish at their chosen points and to maximise photo opportunities. Sounds slightly complicated but will enable maximum flexibility for those in the Club across most of Kent, East Sussex and Essex.

The starting assembly point will be at Bewl Water Country Park or Lamberhurst pub where breakfast will be available.

Second meeting point will be Sedlescombe Golf Club, where Coffee and snacks will be available.

The third meeting point will be The Bell Inn, Ivychurch where a pub lunch will be available.

The tour will finish at the fourth meeting point at The Secret Garden Restaurant at Mersham le Hatch, where refreshments will be available.

Anyone expressing an interest should write to me at david@allen-butler.co.uk and I’ll send details of each venue (with menus where appropriate) and more information on the planned (circuitous!) routes.

I will provide (free) a glossy adhesive windscreen badge (50mm x 75mm oval) to anyone that arrives at any of the four meeting points.

All other costs; refreshments, meals etc (and fuel of course!) will be down to participants.

I need to confirm booking at the venues for the meals/refreshments, especially the pub lunch, to ensure spaces is available.

Weather is always the unknown, but I will agree with the venues go/no go a week before.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE COMING FOR EITHER/OR BREAKFAST, COFFEE BREAK, LUNCH AND/OR TEA BREAK BY SUNDAY 1ST FEBRUARY. NO BOOKING, POSSIBLY NO SPACE!

Will then send out full details of arrangements

Thanks,

David

LUX 427
17-02-15, 03:17 PM
Looks like weather is going to be OK for Sunday 22nd. So far 5 people have confirmed. Still seats reserved at each venue for breakfast/coffee/lunch/tea, so not too late to join us for one or more legs of the tour.

PM me if you would like to come.

David

LUX 427
22-02-15, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately had to cancel the Tour due to a number of last minute things. Illness, cars not working etc. Only 2 for full tour and two for bits of it.

The weather was better than expected but hey ho, that's life.

From those I spoke to on the phone last night it appears that an Autumn Tour of Kent can be raised from the ashes. I know I'm a glutton for punishment...........

So, how about putting 27th September in the diary? I'll open up a new thread in the Summer to gauge interest.

All the best,

David

smacaree
22-02-15, 04:40 PM
David

As mentioned on the phone yesterday I'd like to thank you for all the time & effort you've put into the planning. Weather turned wet sooner than the forecast suggested- we could have got caught out...

Count me in for the September run.

cheers Simon