PDA

View Full Version : Cobras for sale

southern roadcraft
28-11-14, 06:27 PM
Hi, guys I am looking at a couple of cobras for sale and was wondering if anybody knew there history. The first is at Sovereign cars an AK blue with silver stripes with a 350 Chevy quoting circa 400bhp, am I right in thinking these crate engines start at around 200bhp so unless I drive it how would you know? The other is a Dax at Hallmark ls3 motor with dyno printout. Has anybody had dealings with these company's?. They both have the latest chassis, I know I am opening a hornets nest but is one better than the other, handling and kit quality, cheers.

nealgs
28-11-14, 06:30 PM
looks like what you should be looking for is in your forum name :D

Gary

southern roadcraft
28-11-14, 06:55 PM
Hi Gary I will be part ex my Southern Roadcraft, will be hard to do as this one was a labour of love to build but I fancy a change Chevy power and hard top. I like the AK but am suspicious of bhp claims.The Dax has big bhp but Dax have been a bit unsteady lately. I was just wondering if anybody on the forum knew these cars and if anybody had dealings with Hallmark or Sovereign cars.And SR a very good cobra excellent chassis it is just a pity madgewick has not invested more time in it.

TINKA
28-11-14, 07:25 PM
Hi Gary I will be part ex my Southern Roadcraft, will be hard to do as this one was a labour of love to build but I fancy a change Chevy power and hard top. I like the AK but am suspicious of bhp claims.The Dax has big bhp but Dax have been a bit unsteady lately. I was just wondering if anybody on the forum knew these cars and if anybody had dealings with Hallmark or Sovereign cars.And SR a very good cobra excellent chassis it is just a pity madgewick has not invested more time in it.

I don't know the AK in question but the BHP figures are not at all unreasonable IMHO Had mine on a dyno and although its a Ford not a Chevy it's the same CC and the figures for mine are in my signature 416 BHP and 466 ft-lbs. Ally heads ported with big valves, free flowing exhaust, slightly wild cam and none of the emissions crap they fit thees days.

Roger Shackleton
28-11-14, 07:36 PM
I think it will be nearer 350hp or possibly 375hp.you would need to stroke it to 383 to get 400hp. Mines a 383 with big valve Ali heads,wild cam and roller rockers putting out 425 and similar torque figures.

southern roadcraft
28-11-14, 07:38 PM
Cheers Martin for that, I have had nothing to do with Chevy motors just research that bhp figures on new crate motors vary a lot with these engines without changing heads cams etc. I am looking at the Ak more than the Dax, I know the Ls is a good motor but I'm old school and a carb over fuel injection! and your right all the emission crap is a no go for me, cheers Mark.

Roger Shackleton
28-11-14, 07:40 PM
What's wrong with the DAX doesn't matter what's going on your buying a finished car,you don't need to to go to them for mechanicals or anything else for that matter.

Rog

southern roadcraft
28-11-14, 07:54 PM
Hi Roger cheers for that, nothing the matter with Dax, You are right and I am still not ruling it out completely. I have heard pros and con's with both on their body and chassis. Engines in both well proven carb or fuel injected, just looking for advice on both models and the companies selling them, cheers Mark.

nealgs
28-11-14, 08:18 PM
what is currently not making oyu happy with the SR you have then? from what you say i gather your have a Rover v8 or something similar in it? If so, may be worth looking at a decent 4.6 rover lump - theres a few on here with them that will give the chevy/ford lot a run for there money :D

good luck with you hunt either way

rgds
Gary

southern roadcraft
28-11-14, 08:54 PM
Hi Gary you are right I have a rover in which is lively but not 400bhp plus lively. I know a 4.6 or bigger will make a difference I like the hard top as well . I know Cheng at Thunder does a DB top that will fit with some fettling but to be honest I have not got the time. I will be gutted to let mine go as having built 3 this one taking a few years it is a exceptionally sorted SR. SMS used it for years in their advertising ads in the kit car mags.SR are an excellent kit as well you know Gary, I am disappointed that madgewick never pushed it. I have never driven a Dax or an AK to compare it with so who knows.Cheers Mark.

Lloyd Barnes
28-11-14, 10:05 PM
If you want a good pointer towards the BHP the AKs making, easy to ask what heads it has on it. If its got a known brand of aftermarket ally heads you know some money's been spent extracting power. Original cast iron heads and it will be making nowhere near 400. :-)

southern roadcraft
28-11-14, 10:50 PM
Hi many thanks Lloyd I was thinking exactly the same as you, unless this motor has had heads and cam change there is no way it's a 400 bhp motor, cheers Mark.

StewbieC
29-11-14, 06:43 AM
BHP is purely bragging rights and unless you are after a .1 improvement on a standing quarter time it means nothing. Mine has about 270bhp, has bags of torque and have kept up with some 6litre + Chevy monsters on more than 1 occasion.
IMHO, build quality is far more important than a Dyno print out (that may be inaccurate).
Drive the thing and then make a call!!
JMHO of course....

david hemmings
29-11-14, 06:47 AM
350 hp is easy with some stock cast heads on a sbc, mine is running mild ported 441 heads a reasonable cam and 600 holley it was fully rebuilt balanced and blueprinted then run in and dynod by knight racing at 350 with lovely smooth power/torque delivery, go too extreme with cams / carbs etc and it wont be a good road engine you need it to pull hard from idle , with a smooth delivery, that gets you the best traction acceleration and driveability . Dont just base a car decision only on the hp output as you need to drive it and then judge .

westborne
29-11-14, 07:17 AM
It's important to drive the cars. I have known folk who rush off to buy a car at 400bhp only to find it's bloody undrivable through town!
Dave is right it's the power delivery that's vital.
Oh , and by the way I have a a Dax and it's great!

Roger Shackleton
29-11-14, 05:37 PM
Yes agree build quality has to be top priority. As regards drivability round town,mine is borderline , I have to admit, it is everything my engine builder said it would be, the acceleration is smooth from low down and brutal when you kick it.

Rog

It's important to drive the cars. I have known folk who rush off to buy a car at 400bhp only to find it's bloody undrivable through town!
Dave is right it's the power delivery that's vital.
Oh , and by the way I have a a Dax and it's great!

Firestarter29
30-11-14, 07:16 AM
Why sell the car ? you are clearly proud of it. Why not change the engine and get someone to make you a hardtop ? I appreciate engine changes are not cheap (I've done it) but balanced against buying a car from a dealer, who let's be honest have to make a living and ergo are not always the cheapest, you might find the prices of both options closer than you think and potentially less effort than selling and buying again. Added to that you don't have the gut wrenching sight of someone else driving off in your pride & joy. (been there done that too)

Just my opinion...

TINKA
30-11-14, 09:04 AM
Have to agree with Dave not sure what size RV8 you have but they go up in size to 5.2 I believe now. Yes it will cost you mere but you will still have the car which you built and with the inflated prices that dealers charge I suspect it will not cost that much more to get an engine swap as long as you stick to a Rover otherwise costs will really go up a lot. As for hard tops you can always get one from DB Replicas no idea on cost but Dave will then be able to add another make of cobra that his top will fit. Have to say if it was me I would want to keep the car I made and change the engine........................wait a minute that's what I did :lol: :lol:

Bezzer7
30-11-14, 06:52 PM
JE developments has a 4.8 for sale, power is not mentioned in add, see Home - J E Developments Home of the Rover V8 (http://www.johnealesroverv8.co.uk/)

Yes expensive but a propper job.

Dixie
16-12-14, 07:44 PM
What they said. Keep your pride and joy and replace engine.

I built my 4.6 RV8 for just under £3000.

M