PDA

View Full Version : Help ! 3 point harnesses

braincol
13-04-15, 05:54 PM
Gentlemen,

I am still having IVA difficulties with the seatbelt upper mounting points on our Viper, which I think I might be able to resolve using central three point harnesses such as the Willans Supersport 4x3 Westfield. Does anyone know if these are IVA compliant ? I have scoured the Europa catalogue and the Willans website, and although they use encouraging phrases such as "road legal throughout Europe" and similar, I can't anything definitive about IVA compliance. Will make a few phone calls in the morning, but all comments welcome.

This is now my only remaining IVA issue !

Many Thanks,

Brian.

seph
13-04-15, 06:02 PM
You will be fine with them

Paul

tommy-boy
13-04-15, 07:58 PM
Call and speak with Willans directly.

They were superb chaps to deal with and i got exactly what i wanted, custom made for my application.... Cost me a serious whack mind, but worth it in the long run and iv already had compliments from other Cobra owners on how look and feel.

Tommy

TINKA
13-04-15, 09:14 PM
What exactly is the issue you have at the moment? and what belts are you using?

AKCharlie
13-04-15, 09:29 PM
Mine are Willians three point short and passed IVA without issue.

braincol
13-04-15, 11:32 PM
What exactly is the issue you have at the moment? and what belts are you using?

Martin,

Hmmm ... how long have you got ? The original fixing points for the 4 point Willans harnesses were deemed too low by current IVA standards, so we put the upper mountings onto the Roll Hoops where the height issue was by-passed. The IVA people first said that I needed to put clamps round the hoops to a cross-member on the chassis to secure them, but when I went for a retest today, they said that I needed some triangulation BEHIND the hoops to support the mounting points properly.

Well, the fuel tank is immediately behind the roll hoops (6mm gap) so that rules that idea out. I now switch to raising the original mounting points somehow, but the outer mounting would have to be so high to pass that it would be above the bodywork. I can't fit conventional three point harnesses for the same reason (would have to fit on the outer side), but the middle point behind the seats is much higher due to the curvature of the bodywork and I reckon I could squeeze a decent fixing below the bodywork, (possibly in conjunction with lower seats ?) to pass. Is all this making any sense ? Do keep up !

To give credit where it's due it was actually dearest wife who first suggested this idea and I think it could be a goer.

My brain hurts now !

Best regards,

Brian.

TINKA
13-04-15, 11:58 PM
Martin,

Hmmm ... how long have you got ? The original fixing points for the 4 point Willans harnesses were deemed too low by current IVA standards, so we put the upper mountings onto the Roll Hoops where the height issue was by-passed. The IVA people first said that I needed to put clamps round the hoops to a cross-member on the chassis to secure them, but when I went for a retest today, they said that I needed some triangulation BEHIND the hoops to support the mounting points properly.

Well, the fuel tank is immediately behind the roll hoops (6mm gap) so that rules that idea out. I now switch to raising the original mounting points somehow, but the outer mounting would have to be so high to pass that it would be above the bodywork. I can't fit conventional three point harnesses for the same reason (would have to fit on the outer side), but the middle point behind the seats is much higher due to the curvature of the bodywork and I reckon I could squeeze a decent fixing below the bodywork, (possibly in conjunction with lower seats ?) to pass. Is all this making any sense ? Do keep up !

To give credit where it's due it was actually dearest wife who first suggested this idea and I think it could be a goer.

My brain hurts now !

Best regards,

Brian.

I think I see what your problem is. On mine I have 4 point Harnesses and use a central mount behind the seat and put both belts on the same eye bolt, It is a tight fit but they are ok once fitted. I believe some eye bolts have slightly different diameter holes in them. Might be a cheaper way to try.

tonym
14-04-15, 05:19 AM
Instead of trying to raise the mounting points, can you lower the seat? Possibly take off any runners, assuming you have some, or use a lower thinner seat? Just trying to see the problem from a different angle.

Neil O
14-04-15, 04:58 PM
If all else fails, fit some tall 'racing' seats with the slots in them and bolt the harnesses at the lower points (ie where you have a good mounting point).
The point that the belt goes through the slot in the seat back is the measuring point for the height in relation to the seat pad.
If the fixing point(s) for the belts are lower after they go through the seat it shouldn't be an issue for IVA.
Just my humble.