PDA

View Full Version : Is it me ?

legend
06-05-15, 09:21 AM
I saw 3 or 4 Cobra's for sale at Stoneleigh on Monday, IMHO they were anything up to 15k overpriced
Has the market moved on that much ?
I know what people ask & what they get are often very different but if I'd gone there looking to buy I would feel more than a little uncomfortable trying to chip someone £15k for there pride & joy
Dave or Anthony could build someone a nice car for the prices being asked!!!

tapped
06-05-15, 09:39 AM
I didn't see any for sale apart from the Contemporary that was there on the Saturday...did I have my eyes shut?

minesamalt
06-05-15, 10:03 AM
So, Dave or Anthony could build a nice car for some £27000, really? Now that's what I call optimistic.

Roger
(DAX Cobra For Sale £27500 o.n.o.)

I saw 3 or 4 Cobra's for sale at Stoneleigh on Monday, IMHO they were anything up to 15k overpriced
Has the market moved on that much ?
I know what people ask & what they get are often very different but if I'd gone there looking to buy I would feel more than a little uncomfortable trying to chip someone £15k for there pride & joy
Dave or Anthony could build someone a nice car for the prices being asked!!!

nuf_said
06-05-15, 10:34 AM
I didn't see any for sale apart from the Contemporary that was there on the Saturday...did I have my eyes shut?

There wouldn't be many cars there on Saturday, let alone ones for sale..... Presume meant Sunday. I was there on the drier Monday and noticed Tony M's car (?) with a for sale notice. Of course there was the one careful owner V12 Dax / Daimler too, that was for sale

One of our local potential new cobra owners sold his existing kit car after about an hour in the 'for sale' shed. He got his asking price a few minutes after he lifted the hood. Well done.

Nuf Said

legend
06-05-15, 10:54 AM
So, Dave or Anthony could build a nice car for some £27000, really? Now that's what I call optimistic.

Roger
(DAX Cobra For Sale £27500 o.n.o.)

Oops, sorry Roger maybe I wasn't clear enough with my post
I'm sure there was a car there for £35,000
Also I think from the other thread you can guess the car I thought was £15k too much IMHO
Sorry if you thought I was aiming any negative comments at your car & I really just wondered if these cars have gone up in value ?
Tony

Roger Shackleton
06-05-15, 11:19 AM
There are only worth what people are willing to pay at the end of the day. Was looking at Sovereign Cars Web site yesterday and was shocked at the prices they are asking.

Rog

david hemmings
06-05-15, 11:33 AM
On value as subject my ins renewal is next month and want do the right value not too under or over, any ideas ???a dax New ivad 12 mths ago so 2014 new blueprinted sbc 350hp 1100 miles.toneau and hood , Have pics but cant post from iphone so could do later for anyone not knowing the car

legend
06-05-15, 11:45 AM
There are only worth what people are willing to pay at the end of the day. Was looking at Sovereign Cars Web site yesterday and was shocked at the prices they are asking.

Rog

Holy crap!!! I would love to know what Sovereign are paying for those cars ;)

Chimeara
06-05-15, 11:53 AM
In many ways prices have moved on. And there are fewer and fewer good quality cars available so they hold a premium

I saw a few for sale at Stoneleigh and acquired a good example at a fair price to myself and the seller. Not all cars that are for sale have notices in them, if you talk to enough people and show the right interest they can pop up.

With regards to dealers prices this has been discussed many times before. Wages, rates, insurances, taxes and all other overheads mean cars HAVE to be sold at a profit or they won't be selling them at all. As a company that has diversified into cobra sales recently even I admit we sell cars at a profit but due to smaller overheads we remain more competitive.

On a side note by asking higher prices for such cars it indirectly keeps the market value of them up so when you come to sell, you should be happy with what you get as a result.

I hope this helps and hope I have not opened myself up for a public flogging.

legend
06-05-15, 12:10 PM
On a side note by asking higher prices for such cars it indirectly keeps the market value of them up so when you come to sell, you should be happy with what you get as a result. NEVER!!!

Anthony, I have always thought from afar that you offer value for money with the cars you build so I'm sure the same can be said of the pre owned vehicles you sell ;)

shadow
06-05-15, 12:28 PM
I agree with anthony, hopefully there is more quality and less quantity, the quality of (kit cars) has moved on for the better in my eyes with competition and technology keeping companies on their toes to keep up and improve.

minesamalt
06-05-15, 02:50 PM
Not a problem Tony, I was up for paying £28500 for a Dax last year but the owner decided to keep it having the view that if he sold it to me he would just go out and buy another one!
I just thought I would use the thread to plug my Dax :D

Oops, sorry Roger maybe I wasn't clear enough with my post
I'm sure there was a car there for £35,000
Also I think from the other thread you can guess the car I thought was £15k too much IMHO
Sorry if you thought I was aiming any negative comments at your car & I really just wondered if these cars have gone up in value ?
Tony

Lloyd Barnes
07-05-15, 09:07 AM
The market value of cobras has risen, but so has the cost of building one. IVA more expensive than SVA, chassis and body prices higher than they were 5 years ago. I'm glad for two reasons. First we dump 10's of thousands into our hobbies. Nice to know that what youre building has a decent value and you might get a reasonable proportion of the cash back. Second this can surely only be part of the process of shifting kit cars away from the terrible image many still attach to them? SVA/IVA was a superb step forward IMHO :-)

Always makes me laugh BTW when I poke about on the Series 2 Landrover forum. Same discussion but at a different level. Folks there up in arms because an exhaust is now £80, yet also moan like mad at car shows their pride and joy aren't treated like classics!! :Razz:

tapped
07-05-15, 09:15 AM
The market value of cobras has risen, but so has the cost of building one. IVA more expensive than SVA, chassis and body prices higher than they were 5 years ago. I'm glad for two reasons. First we dump 10's of thousands into our hobbies. Nice to know that what youre building has a decent value and you might get a reasonable proportion of the cash back. Second this can surely only be part of the process of shifting kit cars away from the terrible image many still attach to them? SVA/IVA was a superb step forward IMHO :-)

Always makes me laugh BTW when I poke about on the Series 2 Landrover forum. Same discussion but at a different level. Folks there up in arms because an exhaust is now £80, yet also moan like mad at car shows their pride and joy aren't treated like classics!! :Razz:

A well-built, well-manufactured and reputable kit should be worth a decent sum. They are not classics per se but I'd say they are pushed up by the seemingly inexorable rise in classic prices....Buying one built is often an alternative to purchasing a classic car so buyers wouldn't baulk at paying a decent sum for a good one.

Its a bit weird when 427SCs are going for $2m to track replicas with actuals but I think the general classic prices do help drive the replica market up..

Lloyd Barnes
07-05-15, 10:52 AM
A well-built, well-manufactured and reputable kit should be worth a decent sum. They are not classics per se but I'd say they are pushed up by the seemingly inexorable rise in classic prices....Buying one built is often an alternative to purchasing a classic car so buyers wouldn't baulk at paying a decent sum for a good one.

Interesting thought. Will our cars, particularly the post SVA quality cars be regarded as classics in the future? Hard to argue that a DB427 wont be seen as such