PDA

View Full Version : French registration and road taxation

Gazzab
12-05-15, 11:20 PM
Hi

I have a potential buyer for my Sumo, but it seems like the French charge a very high amount of Road Tax 4000-8000 euro!!! if the vehicle is registered after 1-1-2009. In UK the age of the engine is the main factor in determining the amount of road tax payable. Has anyone any views on this? or know of a way to overcome it. The engine in my Sumo is from 1968-1975according to the casting no's, no engine no. as was machined off during refurbishment.

Gary

Paul B
13-05-15, 11:59 AM
Hi Gary

If the French guy makes an offer you can accept, take it and run. The registration process is long, complication and unlikely to succeed.

I have spent the last 9 month trying with my 2001 Sumo and admitted defeat. However, it is always down to who you know and who they know !

The taxation is a one-off charge made at the time of change of ownership, as they do not have an annual road tax system like the UK. The charge is based upon emissions and engine size but I am not sure how the calculation is made.

Good luck

Gazzab
13-05-15, 08:55 PM
Hi Gary

If the French guy makes an offer you can accept, take it and run. The registration process is long, complication and unlikely to succeed.

I have spent the last 9 month trying with my 2001 Sumo and admitted defeat. However, it is always down to who you know and who they know !

The taxation is a one-off charge made at the time of change of ownership, as they do not have an annual road tax system like the UK. The charge is based upon emissions and engine size but I am not sure how the calculation is made.

Good luck
Thanks Paul

So it's a one off payment, not so bad then if it's a keeper. I'm not keen to sell but have another project and need space and money. It will be a sad day no doubt. Are you aware that Pilgrim have an agent in France who handles the registration process?

Gary

Paul B
14-05-15, 11:40 AM
There was a guy near Nimes, who I paid 450 Euro to help me through the process, then he died 3 days before I needed his help !!!

This has been my luck so far :)

With everything I have seen and heard, so much is down to who you know and a large amount of luck as to the people you have to deal with. Some days the person behind the desk can be helpful and pleasant but on the next, can be obstructive and downright awkward.

Gazzab
14-05-15, 01:36 PM
Can you keep uk reg etc or is that prohibited under french law?

Ken
14-05-15, 03:15 PM
If its registered in France (which is highly unlkely) it will be French registered.
Its like someone said before. Registration fully depends on who you know, where you live and what car it is.
However I have a friend who has been driving a UK registered car with uk Numberplates in France for the last 15 years with no problems. He had prolems with Insurance at first but once that was sorted hes driving his car everyday.

The EU law specifically states that if a car is legally registered and tested in One EU state then any other EU state MUST register it. But France only obeys the EU laws it wants to. And its also interesting to know that the country with the most Court cases scheduled against it in the EU COurts for contravention of EU laws is....................France.

iain1953
14-05-15, 07:09 PM
"the country with the most Court cases scheduled against it in the EU COurts for contravention of EU laws is...France. "

Ken,
I'm writing a book about living in France. Would you post the link to this, please?

Many thanks.

Ken
15-05-15, 03:20 PM
I got it from somewhere on the EU website when I was searching for something, just had a look in my browser history for the site but must have deleted it, Ive also just had a thought that I was searching for something from 2009 so that info might have been out of date, but I know I read it somewhere

JimmyJazz
15-05-15, 05:36 PM
How about set a shell company up in England, register and insure car to shell company. Return once a year for mot,all legal ish I think ;)

Ken
16-05-15, 03:17 PM
How about set a shell company up in England, register and insure car to shell company. Return once a year for mot,all legal ish I think ;)

Co most UK Insurers wotn insure you in France for more than a few months.
All you realy need to run a car in France is a postal address in the UK and a friendly Insurance company in France who is happy to Insure a UK registered car

steve_h
16-05-15, 11:37 PM
could you register it in belgium or germany?

lutman
17-05-15, 08:19 AM
Co most UK Insurers wotn insure you in France for more than a few months.
All you realy need to run a car in France is a postal address in the UK and a friendly Insurance company in France who is happy to Insure a UK registered car

I will see if there is a French insurance company in the Toulouse area who handles such insurance for Uk registered cars - With Airbus being the major employer in the region and with so many UK based contractors and staff it could be there is something.
Perhaps just to follow up by searching " UK insurers in Toulouse" or something similar
I remember something about there being a six month limit before transferring to French registration ? Suspect thats only if the "Le Flics" stop you and you become high profile.

Ken
19-05-15, 01:43 PM
Try and contact the French Panther club. They seem to have a lot of UK registered cars in France

lutman
20-05-15, 06:44 AM
I have got some details - seems you can run with UK plates for a year, during which time you are expected to commence the transfer to French system.
Insurance = I was provided the following contact in France ( Toulouse) who handle such transactions for the period required, and they speak English.
Paulette Booth - AXA : email agence.international@axa.fr or call +33 561 301830 Fax +33 561 303900
Bon Chance !!

iain1953
15-07-15, 09:04 PM
You can run a UK-registered car in France indefinitely if it is insured and MoT or CT tested.