PDA

View Full Version : What oil for your rover v8

RallyRoss
06-06-15, 10:02 PM
Got a pretty significant oil leak so best top it up but not got an idea from any of the paperwork what it takes. It still runs with lead replacement in the fuel so I'm imagining it's a mineral variety. Any advice really gratefully received.

Thanks
Ross

stokeflyer
06-06-15, 10:21 PM
Hi Ross,
Valvoline VR1 is the one you want,
Ebay seems to be the cheapest at the moment.
Rich

TINKA
06-06-15, 10:22 PM
Best oil that most of us run due to the flat tappets in these old engines is Valvoline VR1 and this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VALVOLINE-VR1-Racing-20W-50-Premium-Mineral-Engine-Oil-2x5-10L-FREE-SHIPPING-/161723868727?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a77e6637) is as good a price as you will find.

david hemmings
07-06-15, 08:05 AM
Only thing with the valvoline VR1 is supposedly the extra zinc content for the older engines , but still it doesnt contain enough really , or no more than most other mineral oils in the same api cat, and it is a partial synthetic blend not 100% mineral which it doesnt say on the can , there are better oils and the ideal thing to do is add a zinc additive , oil manufacturers have to go to an API rating which limits ZDDP content Valvoline do specific race oils ( no api ) with more zinc but classified not for road use
( Just posted that incase anyone thinks its an extra special oil ! )

TINKA
07-06-15, 09:45 AM
Only thing with the valvoline VR1 is supposedly the extra zinc content for the older engines , but still it doesnt contain enough really , or no more than most other mineral oils in the same api cat, and it is a partial synthetic blend not 100% mineral which it doesnt say on the can , there are better oils and the ideal thing to do is add a zinc additive , oil manufacturers have to go to an API rating which limits ZDDP content Valvoline do specific race oils ( no api ) with more zinc but classified not for road use
( Just posted that incase anyone thinks its an extra special oil ! )

If people were to get their own zinc additive what would be the best oil to go with it in your opinion as it has been mentioned on here many times that 20/50 is quite a thick oil especially when it's cold ?

david hemmings
07-06-15, 11:34 AM
Hi martin
Did quite a bit research into oils etc a while ago, the flat tappet/ zinc issue is only part of the equation, oil sealing is another esp with older engines and seal designs (the classic oil types have a seal swell additive added )hence the need for a ' thicker oil, there are various oils even full synthetic ones that can be used with flat tappets but no road legal oil is really as the zinc element is to a bare minimum , all to do with emmisions, but there are a few specific race oils ( not for road use oils) that have a high zinc content. Im not too sure but think with a RV8 there are two types of pump design and depending which dictates the oil you need to use in it , still think an additive to up the zinc is a good idea though

Russ-Notts
07-06-15, 03:34 PM
Ross,

You will need 20w50 multigrade oil marked as suitable for a 'classic', pre-80s engine. As others have said, having a higher ZDDP content is best. The article in the link below gives a bit more background detail and suggests some suitable oil brands.
http://www.p6club.com/content/oil-and-zddp
Cheers,
Russ.

craigus supremus
08-06-15, 06:04 PM
I use the halfords Classic 20w50 mineral oil and throw in a bottle of East Coast Classic zddp additive

Eggbert
12-06-15, 11:31 AM
Is there really a need for high zinc once the engine has been broken in? I suspect not, however to be safe I use a high zinc content oil anyway.

I use Mobile 1 15W50, the only Mobile 1 oil with the extra zinc that I am aware of. The 15W50 seems appropriate as my bearing clearances are 0.0025" which is a bit loose. With tighter clearances a thinner oil would be appropriate.

If your engine is stock with respect to bearing clearances, you might want to look up the stock specs and OEM viscosity recommendations. As a guess, I'd say if they are in the 0.0010 to 0.0015 10W30 might be a start.

You might want to do some research here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Maybe start with this info:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

RallyRoss
15-06-15, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback. So turning it on its head,after my pressure gauge feed pipe ruptured and emptied the engine the guy that fixed it topped it with semi synth oil. What damage can I do running it on this rather than mineral? Should I bleed it and fill with my lovely new barrels of 20/50 valvoline?