PDA

View Full Version : Brightwheel Cobra IVA?

swanny
22-06-15, 02:27 PM
hello all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but its a general request rather than a technical one.

I have a friend (no really i do) who owns an unregistered brightwheel Cobra. he bought as a part built, stripped, rebuilt and its now nearing completion.

everything he has done/bought has been done with IVA in mind, but he doesn't know where to start regarding the details of the cobra on the IVA form.

Does anyone have any technical data, such as axle weights to fill in on the form? Has anyone ever got a brightwheel through IVA/SVA ?

when i got my kit car through the manufacturers was still around and very helpful so i'm not much use to him despite having been through it.

i've read some of the Brightwheel saga and its seems there may not be a helpful manufacturer around. is the car still made anywhere?

the other issue that cropped up whilst talking to a member on here was that Brightwheels were never designed to take anything bigger than a rover v8. unfortunately he;s fitted a 5lt Chevy into his. has anyone fitted anything this big into a brightwheel?

sorry for such a needy post, but i offered to try and help him find a way forward as he doesnt do internet. the more i find out about this car the less easy it sounds.

paul

KevinW
22-06-15, 04:23 PM
Its basically a Viper/Cobretti i think (assuming it has the wide front wheel arches?).
if so, I suggest contact Bob Busbridge at Cobretti

http://www.cobrettiviperv8.com/

braincol
22-06-15, 04:32 PM
The Brightwheel is one of the Viper variants, I think. My Classic Replicas Viper weighs in at a rather podgy 640 Kg on the front and 620 on the back with a full tank of fuel. I didn't get the impression that it was critical to get the numbers exactly right as the test centre will use their own figures anyway after they have weighed the car ? Ours has a 5.7 litre Chevy and there seems to be enough room in the engine bay for it, and the chassis is definitely strong enough.

Brian.

swanny
22-06-15, 06:32 PM
The Brightwheel is one of the Viper variants, I think. My Classic Replicas Viper weighs in at a rather podgy 640 Kg on the front and 620 on the back with a full tank of fuel. I didn't get the impression that it was critical to get the numbers exactly right as the test centre will use their own figures anyway after they have weighed the car ? Ours has a 5.7 litre Chevy and there seems to be enough room in the engine bay for it, and the chassis is definitely strong enough.

Brian.

Hi Brian

I'll pass those figures on, thanks. I don't suppose you kept any copies of your other details for the paperwork did you ? :-)

Paul

TINKA
22-06-15, 07:27 PM

Brian.

It's not the weight of the car they are after but the design weights.

swanny
22-06-15, 09:49 PM
Forgive me for being daft, but who is going to know what the design weights were now as the manufacturer is no more?

braincol
23-06-15, 09:57 PM
I took my actual weights and then calculated the design weights from the details in the IVA manual. Basically the car has to support its own weight full of fluids, and an allowance for two passengers and luggage. It's all in the manual (section 44, pages 5 & 6) but I'll dig out what I actually submitted to IVA. As I said, it didn't seem to be critical. I'll see what other paperwork I have which might be of use.

Brian.

swanny
23-06-15, 10:51 PM
thanks Brian, that would be very much appreciated.