PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Replica

alldimensionshire
24-06-15, 10:38 AM
Hello,

I am new to this forum so welcome everyone! My business partner purchased a cobra replica four years ago, however we are struggling to find the exact style of the cobra. We are looking to refurbish the car to a higher standard for selling however are having difficulty pin pointing the exact model to ensure it matches the spectrum for selling. Hope someone can help and thank you in advance for any reply's.x

KevinW
24-06-15, 10:53 AM
I would suggest an old Dax. But others with greater knowledge than me can probably confirm or otherwise.
Those carbs on the Rover V8 engine will look great when they are re-furbed, but you'll need to spend out on getting them properly balanced.

corn plaster
24-06-15, 10:54 AM
Whats it registered as,not a Cobra if you are asking. Rear mounted bonnet hinges will help someone on here to identify. 5 stud wheels,jag or granada.

You have some work on your hands,good luck.

Looks like it has a chassis plate,what does it say?

alldimensionshire
24-06-15, 11:28 AM
Thank you for your feedback. Yes exactly, when it is refurbished it will look great but there's no point working on it if we don't know the exact model and what specific features make the car.

Thanks again

Bigblock
24-06-15, 12:05 PM
Does look a bit like and early Dax, modded Triumph rack, midget or MGB hand brake.
I believe the early Dax had the rack above and in front of the lower cross member like the pic, or as best we can see from that. They had trouble with bump steer and did a mod package to move it lower and behind the cross member.

Paul B
24-06-15, 04:12 PM
Not sure what budget you have set aside for the renovation, but my thoughts are that it may well cost more than you would get back at sale time.

Might be better to sell it now and let someone who wants to keep it, spend the money and get it the way they want rather than what you thought would sell.

Just my thoughts.

nealgs
24-06-15, 06:14 PM
from what i can see of the bonnet in the picture very Southern Roadcraft ish - better photo of bonnet may help if possible

Welcome to the site by the way :D

Gary

garyjettrike
24-06-15, 07:40 PM
There is nothing on this car that resembles early or late dax

Roger Shackleton
24-06-15, 09:08 PM
What is the car described as on the V5 ? If it refers to the Donor vehicle then worth even less.

Rog

KevinW
25-06-15, 08:59 AM
There is nothing on this car that resembles early or late dax

I stand corrected!
I thought the dash looked like early Dax, but now someone has mentioned it, it does remind me of an ealry Southern Roadcraft

garyjettrike
25-06-15, 12:54 PM
the body dose look like the first Dax body but that's not a Dax bonnet and the steering rack was never mounted like that on a dax chassis unless some one modified it because of the hideous bump steer problems that the first Dax had

Yellowbelly
26-06-15, 07:37 AM
That rack mount looks just like the one on an early SR chassis that i have just sold

garyjettrike
26-06-15, 08:33 AM
That rack mount looks just like the one on an early SR chassis that i have just sold

Southern Roadcraft did copy the first Dax body and the guys at SR also made the first dax chassis so it mite well have similarity to a Dax

Yellowbelly
26-06-15, 07:16 PM
I seem to remember that Pilgrim used to mould roadcraft bodies back in the very early nineties!

alldimensionshire
27-06-15, 02:20 PM
I am thinking maybe someone used different shapes and styles to make this car, does anyone know about the best option next to get the shape sorted?

Thank you for all you messages!

nealgs
27-06-15, 06:51 PM
i think more photos are needed - maybe boot area, possibly chassis underneath, and as mentioned the bonnet on the car - or full photo of the bonnet will help. it is possibly a very, very early Dax/SR from above info.

Also, as mentioned, what does the V5 have it registered as???

Gary

dinosoar
28-06-15, 07:10 PM
I had revolution five spokes like that on my old Dax.
I really grew to like them as a change from the norm.

A.

dave
04-07-15, 07:17 AM
Don't the foot boxes and inner wings look more like AK ones than any other kit?
I can see the return edge on the bonnet rail, front arches and bonnet scoop are different, but the "ancestry" could be connected.

gareth9702
04-07-15, 05:08 PM
Copied from my reply on the simultaneous thread:

I think that looks like an old Cheetah Cobra. They produced both a Cortina based version and a Jaguar based version in the mid-1980s. You can compare it to this one currently for sale:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...-5l-v8/2696793 (http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/cobra-replicas/ac-cobra-cheetah-3-5l-v8/2696793)