PDA

View Full Version : Layout of fuse box in srv8

RallyRoss
27-06-15, 10:01 AM
Got no brake lights guess I might have a fuse out but has anyone got standard fuse box layout for srv8 please or does it depend on donor?

RallyRoss
27-06-15, 10:31 AM
Ok so took all fuses out and checked them they all seem ok. Can't find a pressure switch or similar behind the pedal so newbie question. How do the brake lights work in an srv8!?

hughw
27-06-15, 11:03 AM
brake pressure swtch - on mine there is a Tee union on the front crossmember in the line feeding front brakes, pressure switch on top of that. Had to replace and was a Triumph one that fitted - easy to check with a multimeter.

RallyRoss
27-06-15, 12:35 PM
Ah thanks Hugh that's got it! I have the same setup. No multimeter though so going to struggle to get any further. The side lights at the rear work though (split bulb) so they are getting power etc.

Any ideas on next step?

hughw
27-06-15, 01:33 PM
jump the two terminals to make the circuit and see if the lights go on should do it...

RallyRoss
27-06-15, 02:36 PM
Hmmm no joy there either I don't think though it did rely on me shorting it with a screwdriver across the terminals, a can of oil on the brake pedal and the Mrs looking at the brakes! Not exactly fool proof!

Guess I've got a break in a wire somewhere.

Do they have a common earth or might the brake lights have a separate earth from the side lights?

Chimeara
27-06-15, 08:57 PM
Did you have the ignition on while jumping the wires. Could be something as silly as that.

RallyRoss
28-06-15, 08:04 AM
Yeah ignition definitely on, could hear the fuel pump.

BLOKE
17-07-15, 08:24 PM
Ideally you need a meter, but a bulb and wire will do the trick.
With ignition on, you should have voltage permanently on one of the wires, this will be the feed from the ignition, when you find this fit it to the brake pressure switch, ether terminal it is just like a light switch but switches when the peddle is pushed.
You now need to ascertain weather voltage is coming out of the other terminal, as you don't have a meter, use a bulb and a length of wire if you have voltage, first check the voltage is getting to the light fittings, if it is, check the earth terminal on the lights, so many problems on these cars is lack of of good negative connection, I.E earth return.
Frank Dowsett. BLOKE.
come back if you need more help.

corn plaster
17-07-15, 09:43 PM
If you haven't fixed it, check the bulbs. Just because the lights work it doesn't mean the filament for the brake lights haven't blown.

Andy