PDA

View Full Version : piece for our company new letter

oiler0
27-06-15, 12:20 PM
hi all
i am doing a piece for our company new letter on hobbies or sports
it,s normal right boring stuff like me and my dog went hill walking the weekend that sort of stuff

so i thought i do one on the AC cobra something for the guys

any one know a good interesting facts about the cobra i could use !!

TonyD
27-06-15, 07:06 PM
An AC Cobra being maxed out on the M1 led to the 70 mph speed limit, prior to that there was no max speed limit.

hth,

cheers,

Tony

AKCharlie
27-06-15, 07:26 PM
Read all about AC Cobra on Wikipedia. A good and interesting read of the history
Cheers
Charlie

nuf_said
27-06-15, 08:01 PM
An AC Cobra being maxed out on the M1 led to the 70 mph speed limit, prior to that there was no max speed limit.

hth,

cheers,

Tony

And I believe i met the driver. He was an apprentice at Thames Ditton and could be spared to deliver them. He had a girlfriend at the dealers in Sheffield and was on a promise. He later married her and became the finance director of a big local car dealer. He was in a 1930s Bentley and stopped to look at the cobra, when we chatted. What a cool bloke.

Nuf Said

corn plaster
27-06-15, 08:04 PM
A Cobras colour is blue.

tonym
27-06-15, 08:29 PM

hth,

cheers,

Tony
I thought that was a myth and it was actually a coupe that did the high speed run??

dave
27-06-15, 10:53 PM
I thought that was a myth and it was actually a coupe that did the high speed run??

is closer to the correct answer.
The truth is more like Jaguar, Aston Martin et al were also hooking up the new roads. The Cobra Coupe was just one of the many.

Firestarter29
28-06-15, 08:58 AM
A Cobras colour is blue.

The first Cobra was originally painted YELLOW (have just got the can opener back off Marsh ;))

Richard Gibbs
28-06-15, 12:13 PM
I would add that the Cobra is in fact a british car, just made famous by an American. So many people think it's an American car. Carol Shelby, wanted a car to compete with Farrari etc. on the racing circuit. Recognising the superior design and manufacturing of the British he came here to buy up and have shipped to the U.S. complete cars minus engine and gearbox. He wanted Chevy to supply these parts but couldn't get agreement so went to second choice, Ford.

I'm sure you'll find lots of interesting facts in your research.

StewbieC
28-06-15, 03:19 PM
And I believe i met the driver. He was an apprentice at Thames Ditton and could be spared to deliver them. He had a girlfriend at the dealers in Sheffield and was on a promise. He later married her and became the finance director of a big local car dealer. He was in a 1930s Bentley and stopped to look at the cobra, when we chatted. What a cool bloke.

Nuf Said
The story that led to the M1 newspaper article was owing to the LeMans coupe "A98" being test driven on the M1 by Gentleman Jack ... He told me that he used to test drive them and his Mrs wasn't chuffed when she asked him if that was "him" when it made the press! Class story from a lovely bloke!

StewbieC
28-06-15, 03:21 PM
is closer to the correct answer.
The truth is more like Jaguar, Aston Martin et al were also hooking up the new roads. The Cobra Coupe was just one of the many.
Jack also confirmed that too, in a "wasn't just me" manner!

Russ-Notts
28-06-15, 04:04 PM
Information about the original Daily Mail article are in this thread:
www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45088

An article here too which may be of interest:

Russ.

Highlander
28-06-15, 06:23 PM
He wanted Chevy to supply these parts but couldn't get agreement so went to second choice, Ford.

Is this because the Chevy engine is better than the Ford offerings and he had completely overlooked Toyota as a supplier:D.........Sorry couldn't resist........coat's already on!

nuf_said
28-06-15, 06:36 PM
The story that led to the M1 newspaper article was owing to the LeMans coupe "A98" being test driven on the M1 by Gentleman Jack ... He told me that he used to test drive them and his Mrs wasn't chuffed when she asked him if that was "him" when it made the press! Class story from a lovely bloke!

Yes that surely the real story. My gent didn't at all say it was him - just me putting two and two together from what he told me, and wondering if it was him, thus getting a nice story.

Nuf Said

pete cooper
28-06-15, 06:51 PM
so we all drive replicas of a car that started its life in england. and we can't drive them fast on a motorway because they did all them years ago and were probably a little bit guilty of causing the introduction of the 70 mph speed limit.

bit ironic really

180 + all them years ago , nice

pete

zaidesmail
28-06-15, 11:45 PM
I believe the reason Chevy said no was because they didn't want anything to compete with the corvette, another little fact, Shelby's original cobra is in the Shelby museum in Vegas, it has been repainted around 10 times.
Each time it was loaned out for a magazine article, the magazine painted it a different colour for the photos so it didn't look like the same car each time.