PDA

View Full Version : The "boomerang" ram

tapped
05-10-15, 01:11 PM
4th time for sale inside 12 months...?

Was on Facebook, on car and classic both times by, I think, private owners...then for sale at garage local to me on auto trader at £28k

Now at THT

http://m.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C666578

Still got the strange sidepipes

(There should be a law against that many exclamation marks in a single listing too :) )

tapped
05-10-15, 01:12 PM
It was for sale at LE Autos too IIRC this year?

BrooklynSnake
05-10-15, 01:39 PM
Thats how the sidepipes were back in the day.....

tapped
05-10-15, 03:11 PM
Hmmmm, really?

Here's a pic from when it was at LE Autos. You can see how long the individual pipes are on this pic.

They're very odd

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ram+cobra+for+sale&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAmoVChMI4oyTlc6ryAIVitGACh0UiwT6#imgr c=BvweXINXAYCbdM%3A

corn plaster
05-10-15, 05:19 PM
Must admit they are different. It's a Jaguar Ram.

Andy

KevinW
05-10-15, 05:35 PM
....looks like the headers melted a bit and gave up.

tapped
05-10-15, 07:00 PM
Looks like the guy making the individual pipes didn't have a bending tool either

jaguar420g
06-10-15, 07:19 PM
One of my favourite Cobras if I would have had the right money at the right time I would have taken a look at it, those side pipes are to die for JMHO

Big_Al
03-11-15, 12:25 PM
I recognise the location - thats Total Headturners now in possession, where we got ours from - really nice guys and very picky, so I'd be surprised if they had bought a pup...........
http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32202&stc=1

tapped
03-11-15, 12:50 PM
I recognise the location - thats Total Headturners now in possession, where we got ours from - really nice guys and very picky, so I'd be surprised if they had bought a pup...........
http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32202&stc=1

Yup, that's what "THT" meant :)

Not suggesting it's a pup...side pipes are a bit odd as is the bench seat but it's more that it's been bounced around an awful lot. THT bought that and a Ram with ghastly wheels (rims painted white!?!) from a dealer close to me who obviously couldn't shift them. The white rims have now been repainted

That second ram was at that dealer for roughly a year, probably not helped by the weird wheels and the auto box I guess

All could be sorted but much nicer Rams are around

Boxoftricks
03-11-15, 06:04 PM
I think the guys who brought it from THT popped up on here the other day. I can't find the post but they were asking about the time it takes to warm up and apparently no thermostat as it was built as a "high spec race car" if my memory serves me right.

corn plaster
03-11-15, 06:06 PM
Not the same Ram. Thermostat one is blue.

Boxoftricks
03-11-15, 06:12 PM

Ahh OK that makes sense.

tapped
03-11-15, 06:14 PM

beat me to it :-)

Roger Shackleton
03-11-15, 06:22 PM
Is it the angle of the picture or is the body missing from under the oil cooler ? These do get bashed, looks like it has been removed and tidied up.

Rog

Boxoftricks
04-11-15, 07:06 AM
Looks like it has been eaten by a road bump...

Big_Al
04-11-15, 08:11 AM
Looks like it has been eaten by a road bump...
You mean on mine under the air intake/radiator?? Thats where the number plate is....looks like properly moulded panel to me
http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32205&stc=1

Boxoftricks
04-11-15, 08:47 AM
When did you get yours? I remember looking at one very similar to yours at THT a while back. Might even have been your one. What spec is it?

Big_Al
04-11-15, 08:51 AM
Delivered about three weeks ago.
1971 RAM Huddart Chevy 6.3 383/430 hp, Guardsman Blue

R
Alan

corn plaster
04-11-15, 09:23 AM
Alan.
Is it tax exempt as it's registered as 71? Been a discussion on here some time ago about that issue - not about your car- with DVLA chasing up historic tax status of cars.

Andy

kdavies3
04-11-15, 09:30 AM
I believe it has a first registration date as 2011 (I read somewhere in this or another thread).
So not tax exempt.

Big_Al
04-11-15, 09:36 AM
Alan.
Is it tax exempt as it's registered as 71? Been a discussion on here some time ago about that issue - not about your car- with DVLA chasing up historic tax status of cars.

Andy
I looked into this as I hoped it would be historic status.
Although it is first registered in 1971 (presumably donor car) the "date of first registration in UK" is shown as 2011.
So it doesn't need to go through the emissions tests (just as well!!) but it doesn't qualify for historic status as it was built in 2011 :-(

Tony I
05-11-15, 07:08 PM
Looks like the Boomerang has been treated to a new paint job and retrim,now blue with black interior..

tapped
05-11-15, 07:21 PM
Indeed it has.

Still had those awful pipes on though.

Only 700 miles? Hmmmmmmm

corn plaster
05-11-15, 08:03 PM
Those rear wheels dont look correct in relation to the rear arch. Is that how they are,looks odd. £40k!

tapped
05-11-15, 08:39 PM
It doesn't have a typical Ram stance that's for sure.

Dealer prices seem to have no pattern these days. With only two main players it's all a bit artificial.

corn plaster
05-11-15, 09:55 PM
I think its the low profile tyres and its been lowered. THT have 2 other RAM, dark blue one also has strange sidepipes which seem to not run parallel to the body and a silver one that sits like a RAM.

tapped
06-11-15, 06:49 AM
I think you are right. The silver car is typica Ram. Relatively high ride height with tailpipes. I seem to recall the vast majority of Rams were built with underslung exhausts when they were "current".

I always liked the ram in that spec, but I always hated the interiors as the centre "console" was enormous. I know why, but it meant the dash could never look right and the interior just looked odd because of it. I did like the exterior though.

We are talking 25 years ago though when all you could really get was that, a Dax or a Contemporary and at the time, the contemporary looked amazingly "correct" relative to the others

I loved our Dax back then

Big_Al
06-11-15, 08:15 AM
Hmm. As our registration document shows that the car was red I wonder if THT are doing "Guardsman Blue" paint jobs on everything now :confused:
I did think our car has a newly painted smell about it.
That one doesn't look right with the low profiles however and the side pipes do let it down.
I am thinking that our "missing" vent under the air intake looks a bit odd now - anyone know who could sort that out?

tapped
06-11-15, 08:34 AM
Your car looks pale to be "guardsman" it looks closer to "Viking" in your pic?

tapped
06-11-15, 08:36 AM
What's your reg no?

Big_Al
06-11-15, 08:54 AM
Your car looks pale to be "guardsman" it looks closer to "Viking" in your pic?
Here they are side by side but it is difficult to really tell a colour through a photograph.............our reg is MCY 161J
http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32229&stc=1http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32230&stc=1

tapped
06-11-15, 09:23 AM
Can't recall your engine spec?

If it was red before and it has a stroker engine then this might have been it when red??

http://www.classiccarshq.co.uk/ads/sale-ram-cobra-383-6-3-stroker-1971/

Big_Al
06-11-15, 09:54 AM
Can't recall your engine spec?

If it was red before and it has a stroker engine then this might have been it when red??

http://www.classiccarshq.co.uk/ads/sale-ram-cobra-383-6-3-stroker-1971/

That's it - the spec and mileage is correct, but the carb is different and it has the chrome nose pipe.
Looks like THT put it through a colour change, took off the nasty nose bar and put a more authentic carb on it.
Hmm

corn plaster
06-11-15, 09:55 AM
Alan. I think you are right about Guardsman Blue being the new in colour for THT. Yours has more of a RAM stance than boomerang. Red one in link looks like yours, missing air intake at front,same sidepipes and distinctive arch guards. Its been updated from its original spec of red etc and looks great,more 2015 than when it was built back then.
THT will know paint code as it looks like they had it painted. They should have changed colour of car on log book when they sent if off to DVLA.

corn plaster
06-11-15, 09:57 AM
Alan. I think you are right about Guardsman Blue being the new in colour for THT. Yours has more of a RAM stance than boomerang. Red one in link looks like yours, missing air intake at front,same sidepipes and distinctive arch guards. Its been updated from its original spec of red etc and looks great,more 2015 than when it was built back then.
THT will know paint code as it looks like they had it painted. They should have changed colour of car on log book when they sent if off to DVLA.

tapped
06-11-15, 10:05 AM
Very sloppy not getting V5 changed!

Mind you, their ads are always so sloppily written that it doesn't surprise me at all!

tapped
06-11-15, 10:06 AM
That's it - the spec and mileage is correct, but the carb is different and it has the chrome nose pipe.
Looks like THT put it through a colour change, took off the nasty nose bar and put a more authentic carb on it.
Hmm

Most things are able to be found on the t'interweb :)

Boxoftricks
06-11-15, 10:15 AM
THT's business is selling cars so in there shoes it makes sense to provide what the market wants. I'm guessing they modify the cars as they come in, had enough paint left over for an additional car and mix and match carbs, nudge bars, wheels and tyres to suit. I've always been really impressed with them and the service they offer. As all our cars are unique is there a right and wrong?

Boxoftricks
06-11-15, 10:19 AM
Hmm. As our registration document shows that the car was red I wonder if THT are doing "Guardsman Blue" paint jobs on everything now :confused:
I did think our car has a newly painted smell about it.
That one doesn't look right with the low profiles however and the side pipes do let it down.
I am thinking that our "missing" vent under the air intake looks a bit odd now - anyone know who could sort that out?

Where about's are you? My first call would be to Cheng at Thunder Road Cars in Cheshunt. Cheng is the most knowledgable person in the world on Rams I'd argue. He can easily repair your lower oil cooler vent. I'd suspect someone was running it too low and hit a road bump or spun into a curve and fractured the glass. Simple fix was to grind it off. It would be an easy quick fix. J

corn plaster
06-11-15, 10:29 AM
Nothing wrong with giving a car a refresh,and what a difference it has made. I did say earlier,2015 modern up to date look. Very nice looking car.

Big_Al
06-11-15, 11:00 AM
I do like the THT guys and they are very genuine characters - they have improved our car over what it was and we love it to bits.
Just need to fix a couple of things and we'll be happy - thanks for the suggestion of Thunder Road Cars too.
We're near Billingshurst so not exactly round the corner though.