PDA

View Full Version : Classic LeMans advice on weather!

Broxy
24-01-16, 08:54 AM
Hi all, It is time to take my cobra on a longer run as to date I have been a dry road driver in the UK only. I have been invited to join a group of cars running down to Classic Le Mans but I have no roof at all (just a tonneau). So advice on the best approach, gear to take (and not to take) would be a great help. I will not be camping so I have a little extra room than I could have had. The car came with a light weight outdoor cover, is it worth taking that or is that extra 'stuff' for little benefit. Any 'tricks of the trade' and experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bigblock
24-01-16, 09:58 AM
Hi Angus

I've had my cob since 1987 and it has never had a roof or tanneau and have have been doing Leman and the Classic for most years.

I have a cockpit cover for when the car is parked up, and this has always kept it dry. I do keep a big umbrella in the foot well if the weather look really bad, but have only had to use this at a a few sets of lights when held up.
We don't use the auto routes at all and stick to the back roads, this means we don't get the horrible driving rain and spray you get on motorways.
The way I have looked at it is that it's GRP, it ain't going to rust, carpets can be taken out and dried, and a bit of water never hurt anyone.
The only thing that is a defo is get a cap and a set of goggles/glasses, I use the new trendy safety glasses the likes of screwfix sell, the DeWalt or similar, they now look like expensive trendy ski glasses for about a tenner, because when you get a drop of rain or similar on your forehead on in you eye it's like being shot by a sniper.

If you want to protect just the seats if stopping for a quick break and can't be bothered with the cover a simple bin liner slips over the back of the seat and base real quick, simples.

Stop worrying and just do it.

Cheers
David

Broxy
24-01-16, 02:27 PM
Haha, thanks David, I think I will be 'just doin' it', the issue I have is that I have the 'pretty' version and not original version (next one will be original maybe no carpets even) so it is wall to wall carpet which is stuck in and leather dash and everything else! Also going with another group so route may not be my choice. Love the bin bag idea for the seats btw. With regard to clothing, do you get particulalry wet while moving even in quite heavy rain or is it only when you stop at lights/traffic. I have the safety glasses already, so it sounds like I am pretty good to go!

Broxy
24-01-16, 02:29 PM
Hi Angus

I've had my cob since 1987 and it has never had a roof or tanneau and have have been doing Leman and the Classic for most years.

I have a cockpit cover for when the car is parked up, and this has always kept it dry. I do keep a big umbrella in the foot well if the weather look really bad, but have only had to use this at a a few sets of lights when held up.
We don't use the auto routes at all and stick to the back roads, this means we don't get the horrible driving rain and spray you get on motorways.
The way I have looked at it is that it's GRP, it ain't going to rust, carpets can be taken out and dried, and a bit of water never hurt anyone.
The only thing that is a defo is get a cap and a set of goggles/glasses, I use the new trendy safety glasses the likes of screwfix sell, the DeWalt or similar, they now look like expensive trendy ski glasses for about a tenner, because when you get a drop of rain or similar on your forehead on in you eye it's like being shot by a sniper.

If you want to protect just the seats if stopping for a quick break and can't be bothered with the cover a simple bin liner slips over the back of the seat and base real quick, simples.

Stop worrying and just do it.

Cheers
David

btw, was your cockpit cover made to measure to fit your tonneau studs, or is it just a generic one you can buy?

Happy Jim
24-01-16, 02:43 PM
Angus,

I just wear an old Barbour jacket, beanie hat or peaked chav hat to keep the rain bullets off my forehead plus dewalt glasses - jobs a good un, my carpets get wet.....they stay in the foot wells until the end of the trip and air-dry naturally. If you get stuck in a traffic jam you will get soaked so a brolly is a good idea (and gives other road users a good giggle). On average mine has been drenched twice a year for 15 years....and it's fine.

Jim

Roger Shackleton
24-01-16, 02:58 PM
2 inch of water in my foot wells last time what a larf !

Rog

malcolm c
24-01-16, 03:11 PM
2 inch of water in my foot wells last time what a larf !

Rog
plenty of ways to dry your cloths
http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32499&stc=1http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32500&stc=1http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32501&stc=1http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32502&stc=1

tonym
24-01-16, 03:18 PM
Ah yes, the infamous"Le-mans last day fire" Brings back memories of drunken guys in transits and drink driving :-)

Bigblock
24-01-16, 07:41 PM
btw, was your cockpit cover made to measure to fit your tonneau studs, or is it just a generic one you can buy?

Hi Angus

No expensive stuff for me, halfords cockpit cover, 6 tea towel hangers, the small sucker type, £3 for 10 from flea bay, these stick on the car with a quick lick and don't damage paint at all, few more holes with reinforcing rings in the cover and it holds down even in the strongest winds.

I wear a football bench jacket in the mornings when cold but for most times it's an USA flight jacket, MA 2 I think, the nylon one.
I woul avoid a leather flight jacket with a fur collar, a mate had one and got as wet as me in his, it weighed a ton and the wet fur collar made him miserable, it never dried out in the 5 days we were there.
If it's that bad you get a bin liner, cut a hole for your head, stick it thru and arms out from underneath when driving, dry and toastie.

David

lutman
25-01-16, 05:26 AM
Tonneau for when its parked to keep out any rain - Barbour or similar with a towel across your lap when driving - hat and goggles - your choice but recommended as rain spots hitting you on the face are not nice. Lap towel as a back up to wipe down the seats if any rain gets past the tonneau !

Broxy
25-01-16, 10:13 AM
Thanks guys, I think I get the message.......Man up! Seriously though, some good ideas in there, Thanks.

Andy76
25-01-16, 02:28 PM
Hi Angus

I'm a previous owner but did several long trips over the years. Many of them wet heading south and back home to Scotland from Silverstone etc. I did Lemans back to Zeebrugge in 6 hours torrential rain. As said above, the acr will dry out so don't get too worried

1. Emergency golf umbrella for sitting in heavy traffic
2. Plenty of dry rags stored in plastic bag for wiping window
3. Worth modifying carpets so they are removable without having to take seats out
4. Light waterproof trousers or if its warm enough shorts to stop the capillary effect of the water that will pool in the foot wells and work its way up the back of your trouser legs. As said elsewhere a couple of inches of water in the footwells isn't uncommon
5. Windproof light weight top layers that dry quickly, hat and gloves
6. A couple of microfibre towels to wipe the seats down after stopping
7. Also worth putting luggage or anything valuable in poly bags or bin liner. My boot never leaked but you don't want to find out it does after 6 hours in the car or even worse when you have to unload the luggage at the side of the road to get to the spanner or screwdriver that's packed at the back.
8. Check you door seals, its surprising how much water can come through them.
9. Lastly and most importantly, don't forget your sense of humour

You probably won't use the lightweight cover. I carried one a couple of times and never bothered, so stopped taking it.

dinosoar
25-01-16, 04:44 PM
I think point nine is the most important.

I am off to the Classic in our company demo this year. No screen, just a hat, goggles and point number nine firmly in mind.
I actuLly think there is less water ingress in our DBR's than my Cobra. It must be something to do with the backdraft effect from the screen.

Have fun.

Andy

Broxy
25-01-16, 05:29 PM
I think point nine is the most important.

I am off to the Classic in our company demo this year. No screen, just a hat, goggles and point number nine firmly in mind.
I actuLly think there is less water ingress in our DBR's than my Cobra. It must be something to do with the backdraft effect from the screen.

Have fun.

Andy

Thanks Andy and Andy, great points, and I will take my sense of humour, but pack it in a plastic bag in case I have to put it on the side of the road when I take the tools out of the boot!

I look forward to seeing the DBR down there and saying hi, we can compare water depths in the footwells! It will probably now be boiling hot weather all weekend and ruin it for all of us!

lutman
26-01-16, 06:50 AM
Hi Angus

I'm a previous owner but did several long trips over the years. Many of them wet heading south and back home to Scotland from Silverstone etc. I did Lemans back to Zeebrugge in 6 hours torrential rain. As said above, the acr will dry out so don't get too worried

1. Emergency golf umbrella for sitting in heavy traffic
2. Plenty of dry rags stored in plastic bag for wiping window
3. Worth modifying carpets so they are removable without having to take seats out
4. Light waterproof trousers or if its warm enough shorts to stop the capillary effect of the water that will pool in the foot wells and work its way up the back of your trouser legs. As said elsewhere a couple of inches of water in the footwells isn't uncommon
5. Windproof light weight top layers that dry quickly, hat and gloves
6. A couple of microfibre towels to wipe the seats down after stopping
7. Also worth putting luggage or anything valuable in poly bags or bin liner. My boot never leaked but you don't want to find out it does after 6 hours in the car or even worse when you have to unload the luggage at the side of the road to get to the spanner or screwdriver that's packed at the back.
8. Check you door seals, its surprising how much water can come through them.
9. Lastly and most importantly, don't forget your sense of humour

You probably won't use the lightweight cover. I carried one a couple of times and never bothered, so stopped taking it.

Item-7 : Found that going to a boat shop (or on line) waterproof boat bags are ideal - remember old school days when Mum made you a draw string plimsoll bag ? Like a large version of that but with velcro and waterproof materials.

Moto
26-01-16, 06:29 PM
Item 6, I can recommend the high absorbency microfibre towels as sold by Mountain Warehouse. We drove for 5+ hours in very heavy rain and even with a hood fitted the water ingress was substantial. I've since drilled some drain holes in the swimming pool, sorry footwell for reasons well expressed in previous posts.

dinosoar
27-01-16, 03:52 PM
Just to add a point or two from experience.

Quite a lot of water comes in through the back of soft tops. So micro fibre cloths are handy or a soft top that actually fits down to the body like GD or my system which clips onto Tennax.

Another point of serious ingress is through the forward door shut area and maybe straight through the hinge holes.
Plasticine has been used to some effect here but not once wet.

Then there is always the problem of upper screen hood rail fit. A bit of kitchen towel will work here or in extreme cases just hung gaffer tape across.

Someone said about wet floors causing water to wick up the back of your trouser legs. Wear shorts!

malcolm c
28-01-16, 01:47 PM
Just to add a point or two from experience.

Quite a lot of water comes in through the back of soft tops. So micro fibre cloths are handy or a soft top that actually fits down to the body like GD or my system which clips onto Tennax.

Another point of serious ingress is through the forward door shut area and maybe straight through the hinge holes.
Plasticine has been used to some effect here but not once wet.

Then there is always the problem of upper screen hood rail fit. A bit of kitchen towel will work here or in extreme cases just hung gaffer tape across.

Someone said about wet floors causing water to wick up the back of your trouser legs. Wear shorts!

You got me thinking about the hinge holes,so this morning fitted some trim that I had left over from some work on the Stag,it's got a self adhesive strip on the back( new it would come in handy one day)
poured some water along the inside of the screen,and yes it woks,it's either that or buy some goldfish.

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32513&stc=1

steve_h
29-01-16, 11:40 PM
Ah yes, the infamous"Le-mans last day fire" Brings back memories of drunken guys in transits and drink driving :-)

Mai oui mon amie