PDA

View Full Version : Chassis build frame

Daddio58
28-01-16, 07:28 AM
Hi all,

My build date is the end of May. I am currently getting everything ready but would like to have the chassis at working height and have seen on a few blogs a wooden frame for the chassis to sit on. Does anyone have any drawings for one that I may use?
Cheers
Wayne

RussellGower
28-01-16, 08:31 AM
Hi Wayne,
I toi get my kit at the end of May - I have a narrow garage and need a mobile chassis stand to move the chassis out to the car port to work on. My plan was to take some measurements/photos when I go down to AK and then fabricate a trolley out of steel. But I came across this http://www.cjautos.eu/product_p/cm06.htm at the weekend. Given the price and that it will be a lot easier to get the finished (heavy) chassis off it at the end, I think I will just buy one.

Regards
Russell

Lloyd Barnes
28-01-16, 06:45 PM
Had mine on a frame for a while. Found it a PITA, restricted access to the underside. Much prefer a decent quality set of axle stands that lift it up high.

1dayiwill
28-01-16, 08:01 PM
I'm with Lloyd on this one. Get some axle stands and get the hubs on quick. Then you can wheel it out on build wheels.

TINKA
29-01-16, 08:25 PM
I agree had mine on a frame for a short while but 2 sets of good axle stands are far better. IMHO

Daddio58
30-01-16, 08:56 AM
Thanks, another job I dont need to do ;)

AKCharlie
30-01-16, 12:05 PM
If you get your wheels on you can borrow my wheel trolleys. Home made with larger castors and you can move the car around easy. Only in Newark so not too far away.
Cheers
Charlie

Daddio58
30-01-16, 08:24 PM
Cheers Charlie,
I'll speak to you at the next meet. I wont need them for a bit.
Wayne

Kensaunders1
31-01-16, 01:27 AM
Wayne I've got a trolley I made in wood using ak factory measurements. . Have a look at my post in the for sale sections.. still available. . Ken

Neil O
02-02-16, 11:50 AM
As said above, I went down the route of making a wooden trolley for the Crendon which was great to start with as I can spin the whole car round 360deg in my garage (very lucky chap).
Now I'm further on it is better on axle stands really.
I'm currently using the trolley as a mobile work bench but in the end I'll have to dismantle it.

Daddio58
02-02-16, 07:44 PM
I think I will go the axle stand route initially then see if Charlies wheel trolleys are worth using. I only have a small garage so not much room. The CJauto option would help as I could push the chassis over as I worked on each side but as with everything. I would sooner spend the money on bling lol. Thanks for all your input.

Wayne

RCAK
02-02-16, 08:23 PM
Hi all, I have a narrow garage I built my self a wooden frame from some 3x2 for my AK to sit on. I made it 6ft long 4ft wide and 2ft tall with 80 kg casters. The corner posts I used some 6x4 that I had lying round. works a treat.

Cheers

Richard