PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a newbe

harrison
20-02-16, 10:27 AM
Good morning all.
I'm looking for some advice and opinions on a first buy cobra, I have been offered a very nice car with an LS2 power unit (415 bhp) coupled up to a 6 speed T56 gearbox.
I have been looking for some time at quite a few cobras but have never come across one listed as having an LS2.
What are the advantages and disadvantages if any of having this engine and gearbox?
Does it make lower, higher, or no difference to the value?
Engine has done 5k since rebuild and 6k before rebuild, and is 5960cc (I'm told)
Engine management by Speartech.
I'm still a bit ignorant about cobras but I am learning, so please excuse any stupid questions I might ask.
Look forward to your comments and thanks.

simon
20-02-16, 12:21 PM
Id be worried if the engine needed a rebuild after just 6,000 miles and it's only done 5,000 since!
All the LS series are good engines and prices will be up there with the best. Only those cars with "unusual" engines ( Lexus, BMW or mine, a jag v8) are a bit down on price ( unfairly )
Simon

TINKA
20-02-16, 01:01 PM
Id be worried if the engine needed a rebuild after just 6,000 miles and it's only done 5,000 since!
All the LS series are good engines and prices will be up there with the best. Only those cars with "unusual" engines ( Lexus, BMW or mine, a jag v8) are a bit down on price ( unfairly )
Simon

That would depend on weather it was an old engine being rebuilt after 6,000 miles in the cobra or a recon/new engine and why did it neded rebuilding? Need more info before making comments on the engine. Gearbox is a plus point and as long as the engine was built properly that is also a plus point. You really need to give the car a good once over and check if you fit in ok and are comftable when sat in it. Which make is it and what sort of price are they asking and is it a private sale or dealer?

BLOKE
20-02-16, 01:22 PM
It does have a bad feel about it, is it for sale now as it is expected to expire again at a further 5000 miles.
Are you sure you want/ can handle 415 BHP, they are hard to control with that power to weight ratio, and many drivers have been caught out.
Also many owners, I am one, want an engine a bit more authentic, I run a Ford 351 Windsor, 5.8 litre, Edlebrock complete top end, around 300 B.H.P.
I also wanted to build it my self, and service it myself.
Hope these comments give you help in choosing your Cobra, if not keep coming back.
I see you are on my patch, come to Goodwood we meet there on the last Sunday of MOST months.
if you wish to be included send me your e mail, I will get you added to the mailing list, its free and keeps you posted on our activity's all year.
Frank Dowsett. BLOKE.

Richard Gibbs
20-02-16, 02:55 PM
The LS2 was introduced in 2005. So even it was one of the first engines produced I would have to ask why it was rebuilt so soon. 10 years doesn't seem long enough to require such a major overhaul, unless it had covered high mileage. But if only 6k mileage before rebuild then something must have gone wrong.

I would ask the seller to confirm what work was done on the engine and what receipts can be provided. It may be that the term 'rebuild' has been used loosely and the work done didn't entail crankshaft out, rebore/hone, new seals/rings/bearings etc I.e the things that one might consider to be normal rebuild tasks.

So I would ask a few questions of the seller.

Happy Jim
20-02-16, 04:06 PM
The LS series tend to command a marginally higher price (not for the purists obviously), modern ECU control, good emissions yada yada, t56 is 6 speed double overdrive so nice lazy cruising with good MPG, "rebuild" probably means new Cam and valve springs! Spear tech do a nice aftermarket loom & reprogrammed GM ECU.

Age wise the LS1 came first (5.7L), then LS6 (5.7L), then LS2 (6.0L)

Regards

Jim

harrison
20-02-16, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the information on the LS2, I am probably at fault for stating rebuild, what I am told is that this was shipped from the states from a total loss car and then subsequently striped down/ overhauled, and you are right, I should find out more about this and see some paperwork, hope to do this when I go to look at it next week.
Car is a Dax de dion being sold by a dealer on behalf of a friend, not seen it in person yet but it does look to be a very nice car with no expense spared by the owner.
I'm a bit worried now that it has been pointed out that the power may be to much for me as an newbe.

tonym
20-02-16, 06:35 PM
My opinion is that it's easier to buy a powerful car and drive it slowly than buy a less powerful car and want to upgrade it later cos it's not fast enough! :-P

Flykilla
20-02-16, 06:38 PM
I'm a bit worried now that it has been pointed out that the power may be to much for me as an newbe.

Dont be put off, the car is only as fast as you drive it. That amount of power is fine, as long as you take time to get to know the car. The worst thing is buying an under powered car and then have to spend more money on it to upgrade the engine. IMHO 415 BHP is about right.

Sidecarbod
20-02-16, 06:50 PM
My opinion is that it's easier to buy a powerful car and drive it slowly than buy a less powerful car and want to upgrade it later cos it's not fast enough! :-P

I agree! It's quite disappointing when you buy a car that does not live up to your expectations.

Commando
21-02-16, 02:42 PM
@ Harri ..... Be aware that as the dealer is selling it "for a friend" that you lose all your dealer rights . It would be similar to buying private . No worries , but negotiate a lower price because of it . Good luck

Firestarter29
21-02-16, 10:28 PM

I don't always agree with Tony (and suffer the consequences as a result), but having travelled this particular road he offers sound advice as does Sidecarbod....