PDA

View Full Version : starter motor advice please

dave.n
06-05-16, 08:44 PM
Took a 4hr return trip to real steel and bought a new starter. Fitted but won't turn engine. Looks different to me. However I was told it should fit as I had taken the old one with me. Looks like it's snagging the flywheel. Anyone had issues with starters before. I don't mean from real steel but fitting new starter on sbf 302. Tooth count seems fine just the casing.

david.mt
06-05-16, 08:56 PM
You have double checked wiring?

Did it come with any shims - if so have you tried using them to distance the starter from the flywheel?

You clearly don't want to damage the flywheel teeth - you say it won't turn the engine. You sure battery is fully charged?

If not then suggest another 4 hours tomorrow to double check!

TINKA
06-05-16, 08:59 PM
There is a long and short reach type but they should of got this right as they could see your old one.

dave.n
06-05-16, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, New battery, New solenoid, all new re-run earths. I didn't know that starter could be shimmed, this would leave gaping hole around starter for weather to enter. I know that once bolted flush the casing must be locking the flywheel.

dave.n
06-05-16, 09:05 PM
Thanks Tinks . I did question this at the counter, but was advised it will fit. Obviously not, I will take it back, Just thinking out loud.

TINKA
06-05-16, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, New battery, New solenoid, all new re-run earths. I didn't know that starter could be shimmed, this would leave gaping hole around starter for weather to enter. I know that once bolted flush the casing must be locking the flywheel.

Never heard of a Ford starter being shimmed this is normally just a Chevy procedure. Ford have 2 flywheel sizes 157 and 164 and a short and long reach starter I think the difference for this depended on weather you had a manual or auto gearbox. Only thing I have ever seen done as far a spacing a starter was to place something like a 10mm spacer to adapt a long reach starter for a short reach application.

dave.n
06-05-16, 09:30 PM
The numbers on the original starter matched up in the book to the part given. I think the only answer is to plonk them both back on the counter and see what can be done. To me they are clearly different. Then will be the argument that I'm trying to return a scratched item. Thanks for the chat everyone. I have been taking starters on and off for a couple of days and felt pissed off.

427jlc
07-05-16, 12:10 AM
Hi Dave, Ford's are shimmed by fitting the shim under the flywheel bolts, which moves the flywheel towards the gearbox, real steel sell them. I don't think it needs shimming.

Is the starter actually going into the mounting hole?

If you are lucky enough to have them both on the bench, check everything matches, check the length of the drive cog that engages on the flywheel

I bought a new starter and this was longer on the new one hitting the flywheel as I was trying to fit it in.

Lee