PDA

View Full Version : Donor Refurb

RussellGower
11-05-16, 06:09 PM
Hi,
I've spent the last couple of evenings re-reading build blogs and searching the archive around refurb'ing the Jaguar donor parts, theres one area that I can't find any mention of and that's the prep and painting of the aluminium parts like the rear hub carriers and the diff cover.

Would anyone like to share how they spruced up those parts?

Cheers
Russell

Delfim
11-05-16, 06:18 PM
Hi,
I've spent the last couple of evenings re-reading build blogs and searching the archive around refurb'ing the Jaguar donor parts, theres one area that I can't find any mention of and that's the prep and painting of the aluminium parts like the rear hub carriers and the diff cover.

Would anyone like to share how they spruced up those parts?

Cheers
Russell

Hi Russel,
You mention the aluminium parts. Why would you want to paint them?
In my opinion, aluminium parts look cool.
Mine were blasted with high pressure hot water. Some people even have them polished to a shine.
But that´s just my opinion.
Delfim

RussellGower
11-05-16, 06:24 PM
Hi Delfim,
Perhaps I'm just over thinking this then, I want the aluminium parts to still look the same but just like new and wasn't sure if it's best to paint them with a clear lacquer or some sort of silver paint.

Thanks
Russell

Roger Shackleton
11-05-16, 07:05 PM
Just clean them and leave them, won't look new for long!

Rog

JamesB
11-05-16, 07:07 PM
Best option IMO is to bead blast them, they look like new

Stu238
11-05-16, 11:27 PM
Hi,

Hi Russell, I probably went too far but I had mine vapor blasted then silver Xylan coated by a company called Sandwell Coatings. The coating is pretty tough and wipe clean. It is sprayed and then cured at 200 deg C.

I have added a couple of photos of the finished articles below.

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32981&stc=1http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32982&stc=1

Cheers,
Stu

Delfim
16-05-16, 01:48 PM
There is nothing wrong in doing it the way you feel most confortable.
If you want to paint them, why not?