PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Viper owners/builders....

nealgs
20-05-16, 09:48 PM
Hi all,

Posting this on behalf of a friend who's on his 3rd cobra build, this time round, the Cobretti Viper.

Anyways, he's asking if anyone in Viper land has any details on how the doors are mounted to the body/chassis, i.e. what type of hinges are used and if anyone has a diagram/spare set or any details on this area or for it.

His previous builds have been a Dax, and a recently IVA'd and on the road pre Xmas 2015, Pilgrim sumo with a Rover 4.6 V8 fitted.

cheers
Gary

steamyrotter
20-05-16, 11:40 PM
Isn't he doing the cobra experience the wrong way around??

I have heard of some using either the Pilgrim, or the Dax hinges

I have a set of "hinges" with my viper but I am in two minds whether to use them or something else..
They are a little too Heath Robinson even for me, and I am sure they are not quite up to the job..

Really think I could produce something a lot better than what I have got!

TINKA
21-05-16, 09:43 AM
When I helped my mate build his viper we certainly didn’t use the supplied hinges as they were made of monkey metal and would of just bent or deformed straightaway if we had. We used a set from AK but due to the difference in mounting options they worked fine but it would of been better if we could of opened the door a bit wider.

We mounted it all by securing the arms to the door and securing the other half to the chassis and then taping the door shut so we knew the door would shut nicely when we had done. Then with this all held in place welded it all up using tack welds first to check it the doors opened nicely before finishing the job.

nealgs
21-05-16, 08:28 PM
thanks both for the replies :)

will let him know re AK ones, he has rang DAX to see if they think their hinges would fit - they were sort of meh!, may or maynot.

He's pretty good when making things etc so he may just make his own in the end.

Anyone else have any info, pics, diagrams etc

cheers
Gary

Paf13568
26-05-16, 08:25 PM
I have a cobretti viper ! Have to say every item on the car / chassis I have made better in some way as tinka says monkey metal and very little thought !
I am surprised to see someone else building a viper on here ! Good luck with any questions etc you may have as I have had very little response etc compared to the owners of other makes

Dek
26-05-16, 10:24 PM
Why not contact Bob Busbridge (Mr Viper) to see if he has a solution. Mine has custom made ones but that was a long time ago. He might have a more recent solution.
Dek

nealgs
27-05-16, 09:21 AM
thanks Paf and Dek

He has spoken to Bob a few times, not a lot of help apparently - so it may be he ends up doing what you have Paf - making his own stuff.

cheers all, keep any info coming

thanks
Gary

Paf13568
27-05-16, 06:58 PM
Bob is a nightmare ! Great guy but takes sooooooo long with everything ! If I can help with anything let me know ? As I said not very much at my original chassis left now !

nealgs
15-06-17, 11:03 AM
just an update for this for those in Viper land

Car passed IVA on 2nd attempt end of April/Early May 2017 - registration docs sent off and received back yesterday with Age related plate - too say he was over the moon was an understatement.

Also turns out it is a Classic Replicas Viper rather than the Brightwheels version.

So he's now got two cobras to choose from when he goes out for a drive - lol

rgds
Gary