PDA

View Full Version : Another "MGB" registered Cobra!

simon
03-06-16, 06:59 AM
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301970825418

corn plaster
03-06-16, 10:38 AM
Fine looking car,it's a shame it's registered as a 1967 MGB GT V8 which the V8s didn't get made till 1973!

Davidg
03-06-16, 11:14 AM
Nice looking though

Roger Shackleton
03-06-16, 11:53 AM
Not worth anything other than for parts

Rog

Nice looking though

kdavies3
03-06-16, 12:17 PM
i guess if you wanted to you could use it or it's V5 as a donor, submit for IVA after making the necessary changes?
Probably cost a grand or so with mods and testing etc.
Registration may prove tricky and avoiding a "Q" plate unless there are loads of receipts available.

TonyD
03-06-16, 01:50 PM
Ny guess is that will be sent over to France or Holland whereupon it will be registered as a classic car as its registration is over 25 years old. Its a way around the obstructive French kit car rules. ie they dont want any home built cars.

Somwehere in the process the description will change form MGB to Hawk and jobs a god'un.

I bet the owner who sold it got stiffed for the reasons mentioned above and the dealer will be on a "nice little earner"...... Mike Brewer styleee

Cheers,

Tony

Roger Shackleton
03-06-16, 02:03 PM
Yeh and some unsuspecting new customer will get stuffed as well. There are a lot of people out there still ignorant of this issue.

Rog

Ny guess is that will be sent over to France or Holland whereupon it will be registered as a classic car as its registration is over 25 years old. Its a way around the obstructive French kit car rules. ie they dont want any home built cars.

Somwehere in the process the description will change form MGB to Hawk and jobs a god'un.

I bet the owner who sold it got stiffed for the reasons mentioned above and the dealer will be on a "nice little earner"...... Mike Brewer styleee

Cheers,

Tony

dinosoar
04-06-16, 08:14 AM
However, it could well be accepted with open arms into some euopean countries. They seem unwilling to accept IVA registered cars but these sort seem to slip through OK.
Just think of all those c types, d types and ss100's that are still donor registered.

It is a problem we often encounter with our ASM cars.

Anyone who can navigate an iva'd car through the registration into Europe for us would definitly be worth a steak dinner. Possibly even dessert..

Andy

tapped
04-06-16, 08:20 AM
Nice looking though

Apart from the absurd rear ride height....suspect it needs some de-rated springs to lower it, and then a new exhaust system so it doesn't send up dragging on the ground!

TonyD
04-06-16, 09:28 AM
However, it could well be accepted with open arms into some euopean countries. They seem unwilling to accept IVA registered cars but these sort seem to slip through OK.
Just think of all those c types, d types and ss100's that are still donor registered.

It is a problem we often encounter with our ASM cars.

Anyone who can navigate an iva'd car through the registration into Europe for us would definitly be worth a steak dinner. Possibly even dessert..

Andy

Ask the Kirkhams how they do it.

Brand new car. 60's reg. Sorted.

Cheers,

Tony

TINKA
04-06-16, 09:32 AM
Ask the Kirkhams how they do it.

Brand new car. 60's reg. Sorted.

Cheers,

Tony

The term RINGER springs to mind.

dinosoar
04-06-16, 09:51 AM
Yes, that is the trouble. We could sell a good few cars to Europeans if we could give a definitive procedure to gain correct papers when starting with an age related iva'd car such as we routinely build.
It doesn't even get much easier if we go down the new registration route as that then often falls foul of punitive taxation.
It is not much wonder that the donor registration route is still adopted by many to get around this.

Andy

corn plaster
04-06-16, 10:01 AM
It goes seem strange that if a Cobra is built in 2016 but using a 60s Jag etc registration details that car can then get registered in mainland Europe but if correctly registered in the UK it can't. Or have i got it wrong?

dinosoar
04-06-16, 10:29 AM
Love that pretty much seems to be the case.
I am assuming taking an old jag to Europe is just a desktop excercise an this the new shape is not noticed. After that I suppose any form of MOT type testing would perhaps be done with a friendly nod or the difference is not of relevance.
Of course this will change from country to country.
I have even had the Eupoean trade development folk try to establish a definitive route without success so far. The only info they established was that the pan European agreement that should ensure any car can be moved and re registered in a new member state was opted out by France and some others.
I have just read the Zenos cars are selling well to Europe. Maybe a call to them might yield some useful info. They IVA test at the moment but that will be on the new plate route. So the taxation aspect might catch us in some countries again.

Andy

dinosoar
04-06-16, 11:03 AM
Damn corrective txt

Yes, that pretty much seems to be the case.....

corn plaster
04-06-16, 11:15 AM
Anyone moving abroad,don't bother with IVA. Just take your re-bodied Jag with you and get it registered in your chosen country. A few subtle alterations in the application process and hey presto,a correctly registered Cobra on the continent.

Looks like a business opportunity for someone building replicas .

dinosoar
04-06-16, 11:43 AM
Well I don't think it is quite that straight forward or else that it exactly what we would do.
All I am saying is that there is always the tendency for the iva'd niche manufactured car or home built to be automatically rejected because I presume the bureaucrats can't tick an appropriate box to give it registration papers. Whereas your rebodied jag probably fits into some easy xj6 type tick box and hey presto.
If it then comes back to the uk under that description what happens?
Cars imported over ten years old don't need testing I think but what would it be described as.
The system just can't cope with the grey areas as demonstrated by the recent DVLA witch hunt with the Bugatti thing.

All I want is to find a legitimate route to supply customers.

Andy

corn plaster
04-06-16, 11:55 AM
Seems a minefield, so much for being in Europe. Cars written off in the uk end up being exported and registered abroad, get repaired and come back, registered here and then have a clean history.

Andy

viper Jim
06-06-16, 10:22 PM
If it was built on the old points way of get car on the road with dvla of the donor car then it would have keep old reg would it not?

corn plaster
07-06-16, 12:39 AM
Probably was on the old points system but it should have been corrected many years ago,too late now.

Andy

Resik
07-06-16, 06:26 AM
Ny guess is that will be sent over to France or Holland whereupon it will be registered as a classic car as its registration is over 25 years old.

You may delete Holland, they are not accepting this anymore since a few years.