PDA

View Full Version : Top gear

garyjettrike
12-06-16, 09:01 PM
Did any one watch top gear, other than Ken blocks drive l fell asleep in the rest

minesamalt
12-06-16, 10:00 PM
Yep, I did, just by chance.
Never did follow the previous series though and probably won't watch another of these.
Our son suggested I look at Ken Block on U Tube some time ago. He did a similar stunt in the USA.
Superb, IMHO. It's worth looking at his Mustang prep too.

Check-out the Los Angeles clip on U-Tube.

corn plaster
12-06-16, 10:28 PM
Got fed up with Clarkson etc for the last few series and as it's the same format I will be recording it and flicking through it for any good bits. A short view time for me.

Andy

steve_h
13-06-16, 02:00 AM
Yup. Best in fast forward

andy miles
13-06-16, 06:50 AM
Mustang was a fair bit of kit,but i think the german girl driving the new Audi R8 put everyone to shame,can she drive or not!!!

kernowcobra78
13-06-16, 12:41 PM
Block in his "fiesta" around San Francisco is pretty spectacular, if you are into that sort of thing. Gymkhana 5 i think

KevinW
13-06-16, 06:30 PM
- thought last nights episode was 'better'.

we need to give the new team some time to bed in and get the measure of the beast. I think Matt LeBlanc is getting there, his voice voers are good TG stuff, the german girl is great, the new guy who did the Fiesta RS (or was sit a Focus, I dunno, didnt like the car) did a good job on it. Loved the Ferrari TDF slot. Still not sure Chris Evans has the persona - love him or hate him old loudmouth left some pretty big shoes to fill.

Russ-Notts
13-06-16, 06:54 PM
When Clarkson and co. left I think the BBC missed a great opportunity to give the format a bit of a (much needed in my view) refresh. Instead they seem to churning out the same formula stuff. It there wasn't the ginger fella and the 'how you doin' American then I might think to myself that I was watching a re-run on Dave.
I did enjoy the Ferrari TDF bit too but only up to the point before they showed the new car. The Ken Block drive was great though. I presume that was the film that they go into trouble about for doing do-nuts next to the cenotaph?

Russ.

tonym
13-06-16, 07:05 PM
Guess I'm in the minority then as I didn't enjoy the Ken bock segment, didn't quite understand why it was there apart from selling other Ken block videos. There was no explanation at all, nothing on the car, why it was there or why the BBC probably paid vast amounts of money to close down half of London. Generally in all other segments the car is the star and we learn a bit about it, all this was was driving an American souped up car on British streets, good driving, I give you, but is Ken a new presenter? It all struck me as just an advertisement for his company.

britbits
13-06-16, 07:38 PM
new show crap so evans imo

StewbieC
13-06-16, 08:48 PM
It does seem to be improving in comparison to episode 1, Chris Harris's bit kind of had a feeling of the day's pre Clarkson and co.
Evans still too shouty and Leblanc still too East Coasty and wooden, Sabine was better than I thought she'd be. Luckily after living in Deutschland for 7 years I understand the Teutonic approach.

AKCharlie
14-06-16, 08:45 AM
I also thought overall, it was improving which is a must or else it will die on its feet! I would have liked more detail on Ken Blocks car to add interest. The drive was superb and Sabine could drive me wild!
Charlie

KevinW
15-06-16, 09:18 AM
So I think we are coming round to the idea that Ginger productions can get booted out and we could have Sabine sitting in pole position on a re-boot next season?
Now how about that? Maybe they could get Vicky BH back and have an all female line up...with a token male clown? ;)

KevinW
15-06-16, 09:24 AM
Guess I'm in the minority then as I didn't enjoy the Ken bock segment, didn't quite understand why it was there apart from selling other Ken block videos. There was no explanation at all, nothing on the car, why it was there or why the BBC probably paid vast amounts of money to close down half of London. Generally in all other segments the car is the star and we learn a bit about it, all this was was driving an American souped up car on British streets, good driving, I give you, but is Ken a new presenter? It all struck me as just an advertisement for his company.

... agree on the Ken Block thing. My son was shouting loudly 'whats the point of that?', as he (and I) couldn't see any reason for it - normally there is a challenge of some sort. He was immensily pissed off when the car was ignored and they moved onto the next clip. ...and yep, I reckon that was the Cenatoph thing, but i think that segment got snipped.

TINKA
15-06-16, 09:34 AM
I agree on the Ken Block thing , he might be good at that sort of driving but what was the point of it ? We never even heard anything about the car he was using ?

andicole0
15-06-16, 09:41 AM
I hope it gets a fair chance, 6 episodes won't be enough to show itself, it is improving but it isn't different enough. CE should go he isn't right, EJ was surprisingly quiet in his bit in Ep 2 but I can do without him. Sabine is better than expected as are the two Extra Gear guys. If JB were to replace CE than I suspect viewing figures would improve but a) they need better ideas and b) JB will probably be in F1 again next year. Actually I think CE and EJ could just drop out.
Andi.

lutman
20-06-16, 10:57 AM
Only just seen the first episodes back to back recorded as not easily available yet overseas.
Chris Evans attempting to get a bit TGIF style - with overhead balconies and enthusiastic shouting !
Sabine can certainly drive as anyone who has participated in a "ring taxi - M5 drive" will agree. I like the idea mentioned above of the all lady presentation - but not for every episode - perhaps would then have a balanced perspective?
I liked it in the new format - but minor changes required - similar as to when it first started when Quentin Wilson was on the team, he was good, but somehow it was better when Clarkson took it over
Block mustang trip must have used a huge portion of the budget - would have preferred that to be used on more informative and presentable topics - such as perhaps a segment on high power V8 convertible classic looking cars at an affordable price !! - and no, not a TVR or MGB V8

dgosumo
20-06-16, 01:20 PM
I must admit I'm one of those who have stopped watching. Evans needs to develop his own style and not try to copy Clarkson - oh and can someone please get him to stop shouting all the time like some overgrown child

shadow
20-06-16, 05:29 PM
The studio sound is shockingly echoey and Eddie Jordan is more of a helmet than Clarkson was. Stig is also a new bloke and yes Evans, stop shouting you tw@.

The old 3 some, have some good stuff coming. And I probably will pay to watch it!

oliman74
23-07-16, 07:22 PM
I know this is a bit old now but gonna chip in with the old 2 pennith's worth!!

I like Evans' radio show and TFI. But Top Gear, he just didn't suit the show, good job he fell on his sword.

Matt Le Blanc, what a surprise, I think he should be the front man, he can drive and he has presence and IMO suits the show perfectly.

Get rid of Chris Harris, agree with Stu's earlier post, he's more like an adrenalised version of the type of presenter you got with the old school TG show from the 80's, 90's, Hammond would have done his reviews previously and they were entertaining because the Hamster was just a normal bloke loving his job without be all analytical.

And FFS get rid of Eddie Jordan, what a tw*t, he is so irritating!!

Keep Sabine and the young dude who reviewed the Mustangs as I think he has potential.

Just need to find someone cool to also host...

As I said, just my opinion.

corn plaster
23-07-16, 07:50 PM
Find someone cool, sounds like the job for me;-) ;-)

Andy