PDA

View Full Version : For sale: 1964 registered V8 Cobretti Viper

cshoulders
03-09-16, 11:14 AM
For Sale £23,000. First advertisement on cobraclub.com, will consider reasonable offers and happy to hear your thoughts.

Registered as a 1964 Ford. Thris Cobra is running a Ford 302 (5 litre V8) producing 248 BHP at the rear wheels. Fitted with an Edelbrock Performance inlet manifold, fed by a Holley 600 carburettor (4 barrel, pumped first chamber, vacuum secondary chamber). 5 speed manual gearbox. Side pipe exhausts with chromed heat deflectors, adding to the great sounding V8.

Jaguar XJ6 suspension and all round disc brakes. Brake balance valve to adjust brake biased. New brake master cylinder installed June 2015. Some Cobretti kits are known to bump/jump steer, the previous owner rectified this issue by having the steering rack raised and then re-tracked. Halibrand alloy wheels with spinners fitted with BF Goodrich tyres (front 8”/rear 10” wide). With its power steering, Jaguar suspension and wide wheels the car handles well through twisting country lanes or higher speed A road/motorway driving.

Mallory distributor fitted with an electronic module. Twin radiator fans controlled to switch on\off as the water temperature rises and falls. The secondary cooling fan and motor was replaced with a curved blade fan in July 2016 by Hallmark cars.

Beautiful metallic blue paintwork with painted white racing stripe. Some minor chips, appropriate with the age of the car. Larger chip located on offside rear quarter, where previous owner had knocked with a wooden ladder. The colour and paintwork are not done justice in photos; a viewing in person is worthwhile.

Cream leather bucket seats, dashboard and door inserts. The leather has a lovely patina, which suits the age of the car. Wooden Moto-Lita steering wheel and Smiths gauges complete the look.

Car has always been garaged and is in great all round condition. I am 6’3” and comfortably fit into both seats. Car is being sold with a black hood, side screens and Moltex all weather car cover.

Running Costs: Classic car tax so no road tax to pay. On an average run will achieve 20mpg, range approximately 250 miles depending on driving style. With limited mileage insurance I paid £200 for a year. MOT due in June 2017.

An excellent and very easy car to drive, bringing together the great looks of a Cobra and a great sounding V8. Based in Brentwood Essex, a 5 minute drive from junction 28 of the M25.

Thanks
Chris
Mobile 07502 271436
Work 01634 273237

cshoulders
03-09-16, 11:16 AM
more photos

cshoulders
03-09-16, 11:19 AM
more photos 2

cshoulders
03-09-16, 11:20 AM
more photos 2

corn plaster
03-09-16, 01:29 PM
Good luck with the sale and before someone else says it ,its incorrectly registered but you will be aware of that.

Roger Shackleton
03-09-16, 04:22 PM
As said incorectly registered so value not that great. Good luck with the sale.

Rog

westborne
04-09-16, 08:31 AM
Nice car - however the registration could be a problem and combine that with the fact that the Cobretti is an acquired taste - your price may be a little strong.
But good luck in your search for a buyer.

corn plaster
04-09-16, 09:52 AM
It was owned by a forum mbr.

Andy

cshoulders
04-09-16, 12:15 PM
Yes, I know the registration is incorrect which is a shame. This has never effected me or previous owners getting insurance or an MOT, can't say it every worried me when driving the car either :). Thanks for the feedback, I had expected to achieve less than 23k, and will reduce in my advert.

The car has had a 6 previous owners, the last from Tavistock (who deserves credit for the cars great handling)

Chris

Ratcatcher
12-09-16, 09:08 AM
Im sort of interested in this car but looking at the comments regarding its registration, is the wrong reg an actual problem or is this just something for the purists to look down at?

ie could the dvla take umbrage at the reg and change it to a Q plate?

KevinW
12-09-16, 11:38 AM
- it is likely to create problems at MOT time, unless its a car that is tax and test exempt, which looks unlikely. You might find a local test station that will get you round the problem - caveat emptor and all that. If caught, its a case of scrap or SORN the car, or spend out to get it through IVA. Unless you have a set of receipts, its likely this will result in a Q plate (which tends to de-value the car).

Ratcatcher
12-09-16, 12:06 PM
- If caught, its a case of scrap or SORN the car, .

Really? So it becomes nothing but a mantelpiece to polish every now and again?

or spend out to get it through IVA.

Go on, roughly how much would this cost?

corn plaster
12-09-16, 12:14 PM
Plate check says Ford Saloon 6392cc registered 10/07/1964 which it obviously isn't. Even getting log book changed to correct engine size could cause lots of problems. There was a Cobra at auction a few years ago sold as track use only due to it couldn't get a MOT as incorrectly registered. It's up to you if you buy it, many wouldn't. Good luck.

Andy

Ratcatcher
12-09-16, 12:25 PM
Plate check says Ford Saloon 6392cc registered 10/07/1964 which it obviously isn't. Even getting log book changed to correct engine size could cause lots of problems. There was a Cobra at auction a few years ago sold as track use only due to it couldn't get a MOT as incorrectly registered. It's up to you if you buy it, many wouldn't. Good luck.

Andy

Yup, found this yesterday. Doesnt seem to have sold as a price isnt listed.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16245/lot/318A/?category=list

corn plaster
12-09-16, 12:38 PM
That's a very old auction as it says MOT till 2009. That's not the Cobra I was thinking about that couldn't ge

corn plaster
12-09-16, 12:40 PM
t a MOT. I have no idea what happened with my post?

nealgs
12-09-16, 01:47 PM
just trying to bump your post count Andy ;) - lol

Ratcatcher
12-09-16, 04:51 PM
That's a very old auction as it says MOT till 2009. That's not the Cobra I was thinking about that couldn't ge

Yes, an old auction but the same car. Shame theres no sale price for comparison.

corn plaster
12-09-16, 05:29 PM
Personally I'd search this forum.

Andy

KevinW
12-09-16, 06:24 PM
Really? So it becomes nothing but a mantelpiece to polish every now and again?

Go on, roughly how much would this cost?

doing it yourself?

Without seeing the car, difficult to say, but, off the top of my head.... you need to might need to remove all 'sharp' edges.....so probably new windscreen, dash re-wire removng toggle swicthes or other 'sharpies', look at seat belt mounting points, may need reinforcing / metalwork added, check all fuel line and elec wiring clips comply with wiring intervals and appropriate fittings, need to check emissions for whatever the engine qualifies for (need engine ID for this), sidepipes will need rounded endings added (easy with a spot welder), tyres will need a V rating, lighting needs to be appropriate, suitable steering wheel and mirrors, head restraints needed on seats. Assume all bushes and bearings all OK.

So in parts, anything from £1000 (minimum) upwards as a complete guess, and without seeing the car. +Labour +VAT if you aren't handy.

But thats pie in the sky without seeing the car itself.

Unless build receipts are available, then if you pass you are likely to receive a Q-plate so adding a personalised plate is illegal.

corn plaster
12-09-16, 07:30 PM
https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/c1990-ac-cobra-by-ram-automotive

This is the one i was thinking of.