PDA

View Full Version : TrackR - has anyone tried one of these ?

Firestarter29
16-11-16, 08:36 AM
I've seen a few ads for these tracking devices, and they almost seem to good to be true. Has anyone tried one ? Do thy work in the UK ? I thought of getting one for the Cobra, and the day car etc. Maybe there's scope for a group deal here ?

https://buy.thetrackr.co/

cperry
16-11-16, 08:46 AM
I think it work on the basis of connecting using Bluetooth to the nearest mobile phone that has the TrackR app installed.

This means, if no one's within 100M of the fob, with Bluetooth turned on, with the app installed it wont report its GPS location. Even then, its reporting the location of the phone its connected to, not the true location of the car.

Imagine if it gets lost and reports itself to be in a city centre, a car maybe easier to find, but a set of keys?????

On this basis, we'd need lots of people in the uk to sign up to it before it would work.

aaronjb
17-11-16, 09:30 AM
On this basis, we'd need lots of people in the uk to sign up to it before it would work.

Yep, this. I'm not sure any of these things (there are many competing) have reached the required critical mass in the US, yet, let alone the UK. Part of the problem is that there's a thousand different competing, and non-compatible, "trackers".. TrackR, Tile, Duet, PebbleBee..

Firestarter29
17-11-16, 06:00 PM
I asked them some questions and got this reply, so it works by Bluetooth for short range stuff and for longer range stuff you have to hope that someone with the app running on their phone passes within Bluetooth range of the device.. My next question will be to ask them how many units have been sold in the UK.

Oliver (TrackR)
Nov 16, 10:42 PM PST

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to TrackR Customer Support! TrackR devices are powered by a removable battery and work by establishing a bluetooth connection with your smartphone and communicating through the TrackR app. Once your TrackR is paired with your phone through the TrackR app, you will be able to connect directly to your TrackR from up to 100 feet away and see your TrackR's last known location on a detailed map! Additionally you may utilize your two way ringing feature when you are within this 100 foot range. Two-way ringing means that you can press the button on your TrackR device to make your phone ring and use the TrackR app to make your TrackR device ring.

Two other great features that our product offers are device and phone alerts. Enabling device alerts will allow your TrackR device to ring once you step outside of bluetooth range of your phone. This is incredibly helpful if you are leaving your house with your keys, but forget your phone. The TrackR on your keys would begin to ring to alert you that your phone was left behind! We also offer a phone alert feature that will make your phone ring when you leave behind your item that has a TrackR attached to it.

If your TrackR device is left outside of the 100 foot range, you can use our Crowd GPS network to locate your items. When an item goes missing with a TrackR device attached, all TrackR enabled phones will begin to search for that item. When another TrackR app comes within bluetooth range of the lost item, that user's phone will anonymously ping our server to update the TrackR's owner with new GPS coordinates of when & where it was last seen. You can see your area's Crowd GPS network coverage here: www.thetrackr.com/#crowdgps

TrackR has shipped 2.5 million units and counting so the Crowd GPS network will only grow and get stronger as time goes on.

Also note, there are no other charges required from the use of our product after purchasing the TrackR device. The TrackR app can be downloaded for free in Apple's App Store or in Google Play Store. Additionally, our Crowd GPS network is completely free to use.

philbrad73
18-11-16, 10:51 AM
Hi as discussed before Gps jammers make trackers useless.

http://www.jammer4uk.com/mini-gps-satellite-blocker-p-44.html

keirik
06-08-17, 07:10 AM
if you want a tracker that works, try cantrack.com. I have one on my Dax.

Designed for plant rather than cars but also works when the gps is jammed

Long life battery so no connection to car power supply required, so it can be hidden away

You can also set it up to ping you on a 24 hour basis or when it is moved, so lots of options.

and no, I am not linked to them at all, just a customer

Neil O
07-08-17, 10:31 AM
I was mug enough to buy a couple of TrackR's.
Don't bother. Fecking useless.
Only good for detecting which room you might have left your keys in at your own home.